The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

It held up! Some great camera work in this one

1 Like

Just finished watching The Sacketts. It turned out to be a very nice TV film, although it would have benefited from an Indian attack! I’m glad I upgraded from my VHS (which I never finished watching) since the DVD had fantastic picture and sound quality.

25 min into In a Valley of Violence (2016) and my impression so far is holy crap, Ti West is nailing a modern take on a spaghetti style western… this is way better than Tarantino’s Django, so far. Great rotoscope style credits even.

… and he manages to work in a duel scene towards the end that does something I’ve never seen before

I’m guessing everyone has already seen this one, but if not, spaghetti fans should definitely give it a watch.

A proper genre western that doesn’t simply steal music, characters, etc from the originals but actually seems like a new entry.

As far as it borrowing the John Wick setup, well Fistful of Dollars was just a remake of Seven Samurai so…

2 Likes

Didn’t notice anything unusual - what do you have in mind?

spoiler

When Travolota’s character is standing in between the 2 guys, trying to break it up, and gets shot up (with one of them being his son)

1 Like

Django’s cut price corpses (1971)

This is one of the SWs with an annoying sidekick character and these guys are really obnoxious. The movie as a whole is just kinda boring. Not much style visually and the music is pretty bland as well

1 Like

I watched Tommy Lee Jones’ The Homesman twice over the last few weeks, just make sure that my first impression (I didn’t like it) was right. There’s a lot to admire about this second movie of Tommy Lee as a director, and I won’t say it’s a bad movie, but no, it’s not really my cup of Wild West. You can read why on my western blog:

1 Like

Yeah a big problem I had with that movie is not caring about the characters. Like I mentioned in a previous post, there is an excellent cast but nobody seems to be putting out much of a performance. It all feels rather flat and like I’m watching fake characters, not real people. I know these actors are capable so I have to think its the direction or something. Tommy Lee’s character is goofy as fuck.

I also thought the flashback scenes were good but out of place. Actually I liked these flashbacks much more than the first part of the film, and wished the film had more the character of the flashbacks instead.

1 Like

The flashback scenes work better when rewatching the movie. The first time they were so confusing that I thought there was something wrong with the disc (it happens that dirty discs make small or bigger jumps). I guess they were meant to be a little confusing, in order to unsettle viewers and make them more alert (a technique that French directors like for instance Godard often used), but it all felt a bit clumsy. I do have the idea that Tommy Lee is a better actor than director, and that he is not very good at directing himself

I really like The Homesman. It’s not a rootin’, tootin’, shootin’ actioner by any means but it’s pretty vicious in its own, more cerebral way. I can see how it might not be for everyone, however.

1 Like

The last one I watched was called FISTFUL OF LEAD, not the George Hilton one. It was made a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I liked that aspect of it and thought there was a better film here than was achieved. I just didn’t think it was handled very well.

What’d ya think? I just watched the George Hilton one again as part of my recent Sartana viewing and saw this new movie when I looked up the old one. But it didn’t look too promising

Four of the West’s most infamous outlaws carry out a daring bank heist in the gold-rush town, Bath Water. As the posse takes chase, things take a turn for the worse, as the bandits realize they’ve been double-crossed - but by who?
Erm, engaging, but the cast were a mixed bunch. OMG millennial types. I appreciate the humour in it. No Leone, but you you could do worse. 6/10

Might be nice to (re-)watch The Homesman on Blu-ray soon. I remember I really liked it when I saw it upon its theatrical release four or five years ago. Tommy Lee Jones’s first big-screen directorial effort, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, wasn’t too bad either.

1 Like

Not one of my go to"s!
It has to be the loudest John Ford film on record. Everyone screams at each other!

Welcome Bob I have only been a member for 11 days and can say you will definitely enjoy being part of the community! :cowboy_hat_face:

Welcome both :grinning:

Did a rewatch of The professionals.
Nice buddy movie. Only the Robert Ryan character is a flaw. Not much animal care at the mission they had to make.
But overall very entertaining with a top cast

I’ve watched Samuel Fuller’s I shot Jesse James and The Baron of Arizona.

I shot Jesse James is an amazing film being his directorial debut and is an interesting take on the James legend.

The Baron of Arizona is for me boring. Just some guy committing fraud to rule over Arizona as it’s Baron. Sounds interesting but watching the film leaves alot to be desire.

Great movie Elmer, lots of Spaghetti influences on that one, but comes out very American but not traditionalist.