The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

I’m the opposite. For me that was the main reason to watch it, i love if a western takes place on a train. Or a boat. Or stagecoach. Or spaceship. Just throw at me another Breakheart Pass. But even with that I couldn’t get through West of Hell.

Explains a lot.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to catch up on some westerns made in the last 10 or so years. If anyone can recommend any titles, post 'em up

Titles already probably mentioned elsewhere:

‘Appaloosa’ (Ed Harris)… def. worth checking out
‘Bone Tomahawk’
‘Salvation’
‘Forsaken’
‘Slow West’

Apologies for mentioning the obvious…

Buster Scruggs was good too.

2 Likes

Appaloosa I’ve just watched
Salvation is one of my top 10 westerns from recent years
Bone Tomahawk I’ve seen a while back, but didn’t seem to make much of an impression on me

Slow West has been in my queue for a while now. So has Buster Scruggs, but I really don’t like short format anything - movies consisting of several shorts, short stories, etc… I just can’t get into them.

Forsaken is one I haven’t yet heard of. I’ll try to give it a watch soon.

I’d suggest Jane Got a Gun (2015) - which probably everyone has seen already, and Dead in Tombstone (2013) - only the first one, the second one is terrible.

1 Like

What did you think of it?

I made a couple posts in this thread if ya scroll up a bit :wink: One is responding to Phil

1 Like

It stars Kiefer, and Donald Sutherland. A Godly father (Donald), set against his gunfighter son (Kiefer). Simply told, but still engrossing enough to warrant a can of cheap beer.

Cheers!

Just watched a trailer and looks pretty good. Going to try to watch it in the next days.

Cast is pretty good and Michael Wincott is also great

1 Like

To see Donald, and Kiefer together, is wonderful, especially when you think of how their personal lives had been so turbulent. It is slow moving, but, please, stay with it.
Happy viewing. Enjoy.

1 Like

‘Brimstone’, made by a Dutch director.

Ah yes, that is another one I got a while back but haven’t gotten around to watching yet. Looks interesting but have never quite felt in the mood for it. I guess I’m not sure what to expect though

This is basically Wild West John Wick, quite watchable with cool western town location.

1 Like

Oh wow, its a Ti West film as well! I somehow never heard of this.

Just finished this one and loved it. A proper western, simple but focused. Excellent use of scenery, great performances. Like I mentioned before, already appreciate Michael Wincott and I really liked his role here. A proper bad guy but he shows a real understanding of what’s happening instead of just being unhinged.

I didn’t mind the slow pace at all since it wasn’t overly long, but my only complaint is that it may not hold up as well for additional viewings. Excellent ending tho

1 Like

The last westerns I watched was A night of acid westerns. Django kill, El Topo and Dead Man all In one go. Very trippy.
Just prior I was given the films 6 Guns, Redemption and Age of the Gunslinger. Brutal stuff, especially when the hero has his bones shaved in Redemption!

2 Likes

Just started up I Want Him Dead (1968) - remember this being a good one, but its been so long I don’t actually remember it very well. Will it end up being in the fickle thread? Let’s find out

What an opening scene!

In my opinion, the best Craig Hill. This one and The Dirty Fifteen…

I will put it on my watch list!