The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

Good news, I’d say :wink:

The Ballad of Lefty Brown.

Bill Pullman goes on the revenge path to avenge his friend. Pullman has been acting a few years now, but just an actor that does not spring to mind for me. He tends to mumble alot in this one. Its a shame the actor who dies at the start of the film had not played the lead part, as he has more of a character about him. Well never mind. We still have some ok moments in this one, but the film has more not so ok moments which does make the film drag most of the time.

I watched it yesterday. Definitely not a flawless film, but I kinda enjoyed it in the end. You get to sympathize with the main character who can no longer find his place in a changing world. The parts of the plot regarding the corruption and Lefty’s set-up felt rushed though. I give this a low 7 out of 10.

Dmytryk: Warlock
-Classic western with Henry Fonda, Richard Widmark and Anthony Quinn. Good western with great cast, maybe bit too overlong and too talky at times. Fonda is so good here, maybe better than ever. I couldn’t help thinking that the role of Beauregard was modeled after his role of Blaisedell.

I just watched Hostiles at the cinema. I enjoyed the movie but the only issue I have is that it goes out of its way to be politically correct by having the Indians constantly referred to as “Natives.” It’s set in the 19th century, everybody called them Indians back then. Truth is, most American Indians still refer to themselves as such.

I knew this pc shit would come to this one day. Pathetic.

Thanks for the warning @The_Man_With_a_Name - that’s enough to put me right off.

Amazing the amount of films and TV that get period dialogue wrong. Recently watched a couple of episodes of ‘Peaky Blinders’(post first world war Birmingham, England) where in the middle of a confrontation one of the characters uses a modern American phrase, “I got this” … No No No No !!! If you’re going to spend a fortune on costumes and sets, at least have someone over 40 who can identify these gapping inaccuracies. ‘Downton Abbey’ was another series filled with modern speak and 21st century attitudes which really kills all credibility.

I hear u bros. Unlike spaghettis which are, like, totally accurate in every possible way and that’s why we :heart: them
:yum:

2 Likes

Exactly! LOL :smile:

Spags are pure fantasy, so they get a pass - contemporary westerns are more period dramas, which strive for realism … so they don’t!

I don’t mind if a film is historically inaccurate. I’m aware that Hollywood never gets all the props and dates right but I expect them to at least capture the essence of the West. Making a film about cavalry and Indians and then having them called “Natives” (with a capital “N” whenever there were subtitles, too) makes the characters less believable. It was already an inaccurate film for portraying Comanches on the warpath in the 1890s (they had given that up by the 1880s and the last Comanche-US war ended in 1877) but I can forgive that as long as I can believe that the characters have lived on the frontier and reflect the attitudes of frontier people.
The film is still worth watching and I’d give it a 3/5 rating at least but it’s obvious that many things are there just to please the PC brigade. If there’s any genre the PC brigade love to ruin, it’s the western.

Period-dialogue comes natural to some actors, who just ad-lib off the script.

I’m afraid this PC brigade will ruin much more than just a movie genre, but I know what you mean.

Only that films of every decade before were also mostly PC in every respect, and I doubt that there are today less films which break the rules.

In the 60s and 70s it was mostly PC to break the rules, so they are kinda special for that, but not less conformist than other decades.
Being conformist is the basic rule of commercial filmmaking.

Conformism is not the same thing as PC

Wikipedia: The term political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated to PC or P.C.) is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.[1][2][3][4][5] Since the late 1980s, the term has come to refer to avoiding language or behavior that can be seen as excluding, marginalizing, or insulting groups of people considered disadvantaged or discriminated against, especially groups defined by sex or race.

Of course not, but I haven’t said that. But conformism is an attitude which leads to a PC behaviour, or to films, novels, music etc which has PC content.

Point is I doubt that nowadays films are more PC than in former times. And besides films were also not generally better in former times.

Voting for, say, fascists because everybody else around you is doing it is conformism. I cannot see any crazy interpretation which could call fascism PC. So, conformism ≠ PC.

Sigh … nobody here said that Conformism=PC, at least surely not me.

But you are now the 2nd one who said that is is not, and well, I easily agree.

Yes, but you answered, in response to my remark:

In the example given by @titoli it leads to something that is definitely not PC (if there is anything the PC communnity hates, it’s fascism). There has always been conformism , it’s the logical complement of rebellion, yet PC as we know it, is something recent.

If they were actually speaking accurate period dialogue, we probably wouldn’t understand the word they are saying…

No, but it’s a good thing to avoid terms or expressions that are all-too-modern. You can’t have a cowboy say to his pal: “yeah man, cool! Cool man, cool.”