The Last Ride to Santa Cruz / Der letzte Ritt nach Santa Cruz (Rolf Olsen, 1964)

Couldn’t find a thread for this early eurowestern, an Austrian-German-French co-production, starring a couple of very familiar faces

I watched it with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised
No masterpiece, but quite enjoyable

I have it on my watch pile, will probably watch it in next couple of weeks or so. To be honest, i don’t know what to watch anymore, my pile of films just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

By the way Scherps, nice review as always.

A not bad average one :smiley: .

That’s another good way to say it.

By the way, what did you think of the score (or this main theme, if you don’t remember the rest)?
I don’t dislike it, some parts I even like, but it didn’t feel right in the movie

Why the Eurowestern Board is often ignored? After all links to interesting reviews like this one would be a good opportunity to enrich it… To my way of thinking it makes little sense to discuss in The Spaghetti Westerns section a movie “shot (…) without any Spanish or Italian interference” and that has “none of the characteristics of the spaghetti westerns”! :slight_smile:

Good question (didn’t remember we had such a thread, by the way)

Very similar to you really, alot of the score did not feel right for the film.

Somehow a strange one. For a European production of the pre-Leone-era very violent with an unusual focus on the villains. Mercifully, the villains Adorf, Rupp and Kinski kept me on watching because Edmund Purdom as heroic character is doing a painstakingly boring performance (if we call De Teffe “wooden”, Purdom is at least “stonish”). Thank you, scherpschutter, for the good review.

Marianne Koch turns eighty-seven today. Der letzte Ritt nach Santa Cruz, her forty-fifth film, was her first Western, followed by Per un pugno di dollari, Sheldon Reynolds’s Die Hölle von Manitoba (1965), Jaime Jesús Balcázar and Mark Stevens’s Tierra de fuego (1965), José Luis Madrid’s La balada de Johnny Ringo (1966), and Alfonso Balcázar’s Clint el solitario (1967). Happy Birthday!

Continuing on with my run of early Eurowesterns this one had been sitting on my pile for a while.

It’s an odd mix really with some really quite good sequences and characters mixed with uninspired direction and flat action sequences. These faults and Edmund Purdom’s stunted and unconvincing hero figure really undercut what could otherwise be a pretty good film and, as Scherp points out in his review, one that is surprisingly gritty and violent for a German western of this vintage. It’s a pity because Adorf is good and Kinski is on fine early form and the thing as a whole shows real promise.
So, good in parts, weak in others but definitely worth a watch if you can get hold of a copy. Mine was a pretty decent TV rip from Cinemageddon in German with English subs.

Surprised its took you so long to view some of these early ones Phil, but then again I know what these to watch piles end up like…mountains, ha, ha.

1 Like

Some of them have been sitting there literally years mate. And no matter how many I watch the pile never seems to get any bloody smaller

1 Like

Database page updated in March.

1 Like