The Last Movie You Watched?

Fine score. You never know someone may do a fan version someday.

Pretty gritty stuff for it’s day. It’s well worth the view to see McQueen punch out Sally Struthers. That whole hotel sequence is great.

Vampire Lovers.
The choirmistress has a penchant for Hammer house of Horror’s, as I have for Madeline Smith getting her norks out. Couldn’t go wrong really with this one then!

The Misfits (1960, John Huston)

It’s about the twilight of the West, but I don’t think it really counts as a western (although that is of course open to debate)

Of some historic importance as it was the last movie for both Monroe and Gable, but otherwise one of those oldies that better are left on the shelf. Monroe is still good-looking, especially from behind, and she might have been a decent comedienne, but her dramatic talent was limited. As a result she’s often irritating. Gable and Clift give good performances, but they’re saddled with Arthur Miller’s (Mr. Monroe’s) verbose and over-symbolic script. Miller’s work might have made some impression in his own days, but now it looks terribly overwrought. Some good scenes, some good lines, but overall a dissapointing movie. Even the famous finale with the mustangs is needlessly drawn-out and top-heavy with obvious symbolism.

And oh yeah, good old Tuco is in it too, but I’d say you’d better rewatch GBU instead (and Some like it Hot for a better Marilyn)

The Fog

One of the most atmospheric horror films ever for my money. Skimpy on Carpenter gore but still a good one. Always thought the ocean at night was eery

Watched Bedtime Stories with my kids…an Adam Sandler movie. He’s usually hit or miss (more miss for me) but there were some cute parts that I laughed out loud at.

[quote=“korano, post:85, topic:1923”]The Fog

One of the most atmospheric horror films ever for my money. Skimpy on Carpenter gore but still a good one. Always thought the ocean at night was eery[/quote]
Carpenters movies feel like they have a lot of gore but they don’t. Halloween, for instance, has no blood but when you tell people that, they are surprised. More of a suspense builder with some startle scares mixed in. BTW, I also love The Fog.

Carpenter is a master of the dramatic build up. Especially in Halloween.

Prefer Carpenter’s The Fog to Halloween.

The Cat O’Nine Tails
Liked it. Different for a Giallo but good.

The Black Belly Of The Tarantula
Great Giallo from Paola Cavara. Been watching a lot of Gialli lately.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:89, topic:1923”]Prefer Carpenter’s The Fog to Halloween.[/quote] can’t forget…

Yes, classic moment.

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:87, topic:1923”]Carpenters movies feel like they have a lot of gore but they don’t. Halloween, for instance, has no blood but when you tell people that, they are surprised. More of a suspense builder with some startle scares mixed in. BTW, I also love The Fog.[/quote]Just thought of something, The Thing is pretty gory.

in DVD version: “Lonely are the Brave” (1962) d.: Miller - scr.: Trumbo - star.: Douglas
a brilliant diamond from recent past

in 35mm: “Il Prossimo Tuo” (2008) - Anne Riitta Ciccone
italo-french-finnish production: quite good but with some little flaws…

1 Like

[quote=“Garabombo, post:94, topic:1923”]in DVD version: “Lonely are the Brave” (1962) d.: Miller - scr.: Trumbo - star.: Douglas
a brilliant diamond from recent past[/quote]

A great little film and, coincidentally, I have just got the novel it was based on out of the library. The Brave Cowboy by Edward Abbey. Haven’t read it yet but have been told it is a good one.

Why “a little film”?

I would say it’s the exception & not the norm.

Just a figure of speech really. But also, not a film of epic style. It’s quite a small scale, personal story even though it has a ‘big sky’ backdrop.

I tend to use it to describe a film sometimes and wonder whether it is used more in different countries.

In Germany the term “little film” is used for mostly for films with a small budget or/and with an unknown cast. Or if a blockbuster director makes a more intimate film.

Lonely Are the Brave wouldn’t fit because it looks like a Hollywood prestige film, even if b/w pictures weren’t anymore the rule in the early 60s.