The Last Movie You Watched?

Inglourious Basterds

Awesome movie! Whate else can I say? I especially liked the bar chapter as I thought it had that quality reminiscent of real life hanging out in a bar. And of course I could recognise Enzo Gorolami, Antonio Margheriti and so forth.

Kiss Me Deadly

Enjoyed the book better, but this was a decent noir.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œkorano, post:61, topic:1923ā€]Inglourious Basterds

Awesome movie! Whate else can I say? I especially liked the bar chapter as I thought it had that quality reminiscent of real life hanging out in a bar. And of course I could recognise Enzo Gorolami, Antonio Margheriti and so forth.[/quote]

Where was Enzo in IG? I couldnā€™t spot him.

What you think of the movie?

Reviews overhere vary from worshiping to pulvarizing
Those who usually love QT are vehemently positive, of course, those who hate him, vehemently negative; and again itā€™s a bit the old controversy about postmodern cinema

Iā€™m the odd man out in this controversy, I donā€™t dislike QT, but I donā€™t worship him either
(and the same goes for postmodern cinema more in general)

I want to (re)watch the Castellari flick first (I know QTā€™s is not a genuine remake)

I liked it very much. Iā€™m at the moment not the greatest QT fan in the world, but he still grows in my estimation. Have rewatched Dath Proof recently and I liked it even more than in cinema. An almost perfect film.

IG is a bit uneven, which means some of the episodes (itā€™s again an episodic picture) or different parts, which build again up to a well working sum (or is it whole?), seemed to me a bit clumsy in the context of the whole film. But overall a very well made, very entertaining, and very exciting film. One which I would like to watch again soon.

It was the 2nd part which introduces the Basterds via the scalping scene, which didinā€™t worked that well for me. Most of the rest is terrific.

I always thought that the well founded bad reviews made the film only more interesting for me.

Wow, an almost perfect film for Stanton :wink:

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Wanted to keep it for a special occasion, but Frankā€™s photos made the occasion kinda special, so I put it in the player last night. It runs 2h18min (in Pal) but itā€™s over before you know it. What a fine movie. The recreation of the attack must have been the most frightening rendition of war action up to that moment. Even today it looks stunning, almost unbelievable.
The R2 disc is great, with excellent video and audio quality; I bought it in a supermarket, for 5,99 euro.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is far, far better than the Michael Bay thing.
Well, Pearl Harbor, the movie that is, had some good action moments as well, but too much Ben Affleck pretending he couldā€™ve chased those Japs and avoid the massacre if only they had warned him in time. Thereā€™s no Kate Beckinsale here, but I didnā€™t really miss her ā€¦

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:67, topic:1923ā€]Tora! Tora! Tora!
Tora! Tora! Tora! is far, far better than the Michael Bay thing.[/quote]
Totally agree. I dislike this Michael Bay Movie. IMO itā€™s one of the worst War Movies. Tora!Tora!Tora! is quite good.

Les femmes de lā€™ombre aka Female Agents (2008)
Instead of Men on Mission in Nazi occupied France we gonna see a Women on Mission movie. Sophie Marceau is leading a bunch of female militants to free a british spy. Not bad at all but I wished it would have been a bit more suspenseful. I wonder if Quentin Tarantino has seen this one.

1 Like

Wow! We are starting to click Stanton. I thought I was in the minority with Death Proof. I liked it a lot. Great chase scene (donā€™t you even start).

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:67, topic:1923ā€]Tora! Tora! Tora!

Wanted to keep it for a special occasion, but Frankā€™s photos made the occasion kinda special, so I put it in the player last night. It runs 2h18min (in Pal) but itā€™s over before you know it. What a fine movie. The recreation of the attack must have been the most frightening rendition of war action up to that moment. Even today it looks stunning, almost unbelievable.[/quote]

Great factual retelling. Right up there with Longest Day & my favorite A Bridge Too Far. Both great books & great movies. James Caan has one of my favorite cameos in ABTF. Apparently the character of Eddie Dohan was well sought after.

Me to.

The chase scene was good, but not great. In fact it was the least interesting scene in DP for me. Therefore only almost perfect.

And Iā€™m sure the chase scene was ā€¦ , but it wasnā€™t noticeable. But I havenā€™t tried to check it for what I wonā€™t start.

Before you get too enthusiastic about me (nothing wrong with that), I have to admit that I donā€™t like these type of war films. Too much cliches and jokes for me in these all star films. Tora x 3 belongs probably to the same category, but Iā€™m not sure, as this was so long ago that Iā€™m not really sure if I have seen it complete.

Apart from that Iā€™m sure we have lots of things in common.

The Last King of Scotland - actually, I havenā€™t finished it yet (the rest tonight), but as thereā€™s no thread for ā€œThe movie youā€™re only halfway throughā€ā€¦

Although fact-based, this inside view of Idi Aminā€™s regime as told by his personal physician (a young Scottish doctor who visits Uganda on a whim) feels far-fetched, at least initially. The way that James McAvoyā€™s character finds favour with Amin feels contrived, but as the film goes on this becomes less of a problem because Forest Whitaker, as the unpredictable dictator, commands the screen.

There are also plenty of parallels with more recent and contemporary events (the Westā€™s ambivalent attitude towards Saddam Hussein, for instance).

One may pop up before you know it.

I was tempted to start one. :slight_smile:

Saw Hell Ride and didnā€™t like it too much, badly filmed bike riding scenes when you compare it to something like Easy Rider.

The Mask of Dimitrios

I likedit and Peter Lorre gave a convincing performance. But the accent of the Dimitrios character, a Turkish bandit, is full fledged American. Which is distracting.

Sam Peckinpahā€™s The Getaway. A favorite of my boy ENNIOOā€™s. I actually own this but havenā€™t seen it for years. I love the music-less intro ala OUATITW.

Sure is :slight_smile: .

The long credit sequence is brilliant. And there is more stunning stuff in The Getaway.

But I donā€™t like the soundtrack. I wish the original Jerry Fielding score could be restored.