The Last Movie You Watched?

Foe me Planet terror was partly boring while Death Proof was a great pleasure. And was even more intensive when re-watched on DVD.

The chase scene at the end was indeed not that great, but otherwise I enjoyed every second of it.

I liked Death Proof too (even the chase scene), not top Tarantino, but a good runner up.

Don’t know about Planet Terror, not my kind of entertainment. For this reason, I was a bit surprised that I liked Death Proof, it sounded as if I wouldn’t (by this time I was a bit fed up with this typical Tarantino dialogue, and I don’t like chase scenes very much, but I was pleasantly surprised).

I still liked Planet Terror a lot… Freddy Rodriguez was amazing in the lead (a shame he doesn’t get more action roles) and Marley Shelton, enjoyed those two in particular

Agree - hasn’t aged well, IMO

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:8442, topic:1923”]I liked Death Proof too (even the chase scene), not top Tarantino, but a good runner up.

Don’t know about Planet Terror, not my kind of entertainment. For this reason, I was a bit surprised that I liked Death Proof, it sounded as if I wouldn’t (by this time I was a bit fed up with this typical Tarantino dialogue, and I don’t like chase scenes very much, but I was pleasantly surprised).[/quote]

[quote=“Stanton, post:8441, topic:1923”]Foe me Planet terror was partly boring while Death Proof was a great pleasure. And was even more intensive when re-watched on DVD.

The chase scene at the end was indeed not that great, but otherwise I enjoyed every second of it.[/quote]

i like Death Proof better than Planet Terror too - while PT has some genuinely funny stuff there are multiple things i found awkward and boring on the second view

I like both of 'em pretty well. Rodriguez hams things up more than I like in PT, but that is typical of all his work

Death Proof is a bit too long maybe

Antigravitation (1995) by Audrius Stonys.
A 20-minute-long documentary about everyday activites of Lithuanian villagers. With some strange, green (I don’t know if my copy is just injured or it was purposefully colored that way) photography and mystical music reminding me a bit Tarkovsky’s movie, the flick looks nice and refreshing. Liked it. 6/10

ENEMY AT THE GATES......GREEEAAAATTTTTTTTTTT

Hit Man.

Blaxploitation version of Get Carter. Some groovy style going on and the violence level was fine, but the ending was not what I was expecting.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:8449, topic:1923”]Hit Man.

Blaxploitation version of Get Carter. Some groovy style going on and the violence level was fine, but the ending was not what I was expecting.[/quote]
As for Blaxploitation, I’ve seen today Shaft. Great flick, very entertaining overall. 7/10

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:8449, topic:1923”]Hit Man.

Blaxploitation version of Get Carter. Some groovy style going on and the violence level was fine, but the ending was not what I was expecting.[/quote]Archive disc?

I’ve got more of them now than normal Warner releases ;D

Yes thats right the Archive disc.

Some cracking films available in the Archive selection :wink: .

Yes great flick, Shaft is the man!

As for the remake with Samuel L. Jackson, I did not like it at all. It was way over the top, i thought he was too conceited in the role of Shaft and tried to be extra cool witch didn’t work for me. IMO, it’s garbage.

DRIVE - Didn’t get overly enthusiastic by it, decent stuff, but nothing we’ve haven’t seen before. I think they overdid it at some points with the slow motion. The car chasing sequences were pretty good though. 7/10

[quote=“chameleon, post:8453, topic:1923”]Yes great flick, Shaft is the man!

As for the remake with Samuel L. Jackson, I did not like it at all. It was way over the top, i thought he was too conceited in the role of Shaft and tried to be extra cool witch didn’t work for me. IMO, it’s garbage.[/quote]
I didn’t know it has a remake. Even though I have no intention of watching it. For me there is no point in doing the same thing twice. What for?
Original Shaft is great stuff. You know - it’s no staggering achievement, but so loads of fun! Love this atmosphere of seventies.

Yes, slow motion might have felt slightly discordant and plot isn’t unique, but editing, lighting, soundtrack, non CGI action scenes… It’s all so beautiful!

[quote=“ION BRITTON, post:8454, topic:1923”]DRIVE - Didn’t get overly enthusiastic by it, decent stuff, but nothing we’ve haven’t seen before. I think they overdid it at some points with the slow motion. The car chasing sequences were pretty good though. 7/10[/quote]I liked it but didn’t think it was as great as it was being touted.

Another case of “don’t believe the hype”

DOG POUND - Great prison drama that focuses on four newly incarcerated juvenile inmates. The tensions between the old inmates and the guards never seem to stop and the riotous ending comes off as a natural climax. I’ve seen it being described as “Scum” of the 21st Century and that’s really not very far from truth. Got back far more than what I initially expected.

Kull The Conqueror, 1997… I think me and Raffaella De Laurentiis should start hangin’ together. She’s only produced two movies… both from Robert E. Howard stories. My second-fave author next to Lovecraft. Kull is excellent and stays true to the story. -Starring Kevin Sorbo, who’s definitely convincing all-around, including swordplay and axe-wielding. Parts of it are studio-ish, but that’s okay. The location-scenes are outstanding. The special-effects are too, where I can sense De Laurentiis’ approving touch manifested in perfect balance. Sex and blood are hinted-at, like they are in Howard’s worlds. This might be his best film-depiction.

Barfly -
great flick with Rourke in top form and also with Fay Dunnaway’s legs in top form - what i was missing in Factotum, was sort of insanity, it was too calmed down - Barfly has some truly insane moments - scene when Chinaski is pouring a whisky upon his smashed head and then dealing with called cops is just good example
Rourke is maybe too handsome (even like a bum) to play Bukowski’s alter ego, so Matt Dillon in Factotum was more truthful, but what the hell…
Tales of Ordinary Madness by Marco Ferreri is another bukowskian piece worth a watch, although i wasn’t completely sure about Ben Gazzara - too much grandpa performance and looks for me

[quote=“tomas, post:8459, topic:1923”]Barfly -
great flick with Rourke in top form and also with Fay Dunnaway’s legs in top form - what i was missing in Factotum, was sort of insanity, it was too calmed down - Barfly has some truly insane moments - scene when Chinaski is pouring a whisky upon his smashed head and then dealing with called cops is just good example
Rourke is maybe too handsome (even like a bum) to play Bukowski’s alter ego, so Matt Dillon in Factotum was more truthful, but what the hell…
Tales of Ordinary Madness by Marco Ferreri is another bukowskian piece worth a watch, although i wasn’t completely sure about Ben Gazzara - too much grandpa performance and looks for me[/quote]

I think my favourite scene is where Rourke comes back to his apartment, sits down and then gradually gets the sense that it is not his room after all. Turns out he has gone through the wrong door and he is in someone else’s apartment. He snaps into action immediately and empties out their liquor cupboard. ;D