The Last Movie You Watched?

Wow, just finished watching for the first time, CONTRABAND. and it didn’t disappoint. One of the most violent, brutal and at times vicious that i’ve seen so far. Lucio Fulci went over the top on this one imo. But i loved it! Oh yeah, plenty of nudity too. Great stuff!

I definitely want to check out some of these Death Wish movies. I just watched The Exterminator if youre in the mood for some good vigilante exploitation check it out!

Yeah, The Exterminator is great. I need to check out part 2 which is supposed to be way sillier and has more flamethrower action

Christopher George I like in the Exterminator the guy is always smiling. Viewed him in his last film the other day Mortuary.

Buried (2010) by Rodrigo Cortes
i thought that i would get bored during the watch, but on the contrary, in some scenes i almost forgot to breathe
the entire film takes place in a coffin and Ryan Reynolds delivers fine performance
this could be the cheapest movie in history of cinema ;D
maybe it contains some logical plotholes, but i surely don´t care this time
i was very satisfied by the ending

Cass - I’ve not long seen it but picked up a blu ray cheap and was round one of my pals houses so we watched it. Good powerful stuff.

The Informer - I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I thought I would, I was quite impressed.

When did that rule come in about not seeing gun/s go off in the same shot as someone being killed because it has it in this.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:6286, topic:1923”]The Informer - I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I thought I would, I was quite impressed.

When did that rule come in about not seeing gun/s go off in the same shot as someone being killed because it has it in this.[/quote]
This was never actually part of the Hays Code that ruled Hollywood for much of the thirites to the late fifties; it was an unwritten one. Thus, it was broken quite a few times in the intervening years; witness the killer shooting and seeing the victim die in the same shot in The Maltese Falcon (1941). There are plently of other examples as well.

Was it really an unwritten rule, or is it just a myth?

But on the other hand I may remember that there was a Hays Code rule in the early 30 not to show people get killed. So that the directors had to work with shadows and similar stuff, which then made the films look more innovative.
And there was a time in Germany in which all sorts of weapons were retouched in comics. And I remember that a French comic artist had claimed the reason that there are nearly no women in his 50s comics was that he was annoyed by the fact that he was only allowed to draw them without breasts. It was forbidden to him to draw them in a way that children could get the notion that women had breasts beneath their clothes.

Ahh, the golden days of rigid censorship …

[quote=“Stanton, post:6288, topic:1923”]Was it really an unwritten rule, or is it just a myth?

But on the other hand I may remember that there was a Hays Code rule in the early 30 not to show people get killed. So that the directors had to work with shadows and similar stuff, which then made the films look more innovative.
And there was a time in Germany in which all sorts of weapons were retouched in comics. And I remember that a French comic artist had claimed the reason that there are nearly no women in his 50s comics was that he was annoyed by the fact that he was only allowed to draw them without breasts. It was forbidden to him to draw them in a way that children could get the notion that women had breasts beneath their clothes.

Ahh, the golden days of rigid censorship …[/quote]
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on who you’re rading ::).

As for censorship in comics, that lasted for decades in Britain. I remember reading that there was a job in comic publishing houses were an artist would erase the breats of statues etc, etc off other artists comic pages!

very true and great fun to read some articles on the censorship in comics

I don’t know much about films before the 60’s, the only reason I knew about that Hays code shooting thing was because I read about it being broken on Fistful of Dollars.
I wouldn’t have had a clue otherwise.

The “shooter and the shottee in the same frame” thing, only that this is not true like John Welles had already written above. Eastwood had claimed this in an interview and Frayling has adopted it. Both should have known better. Dozens if not hundreds of films did this before.

The Rose Garden aka Der Rosengarten (1989) Fons Rademakers

Interesting film actually the second I’ve seen from this Dutch director (the other was The assault). The story is good and keeps your attention, its also well told, even if the director couldn’t avoy some tendency of the film to drag a bit more than necessary, but where there’s no complains is in the acting wonderful stuff. Liv Ullmann, and Maximilian Schell, are just plain and simple great, Peter Fonda also makes an always nice (and strange for this type of film) appearance.
Based in a real story, there are some overwhelming scenes mostly the ones in the court (its kind of a court drama, but not only) and also the torture scene told in flashback (real terrible scene if you think it real happen). The real events in which the story is based were terrible (I won’t give away any Spoires), but it seems things keep coming back.
In the end not a bad film althought, I think it tries to handle more than it should or could for its own sake, at the end I had this feeling I wanted to know more, the film does questions a lot, but gives no answers, maybe the only answer we get is that kicking children toys is the ultimate act of insanity.
But great acting no doubt about it. Recommended in any case a quality film

P.S. Strange enough (or maybe not) this was a Cannon Group realease and production, but no, no Ninjas in this one

“Cult Of The Cobra” (1954) much better than expected Universal- International " B" horror thriller along the lines of " Cat People" sIX G.I’s in Asia just after World War 2 end up at a secret cult ceremony where members claim to be able to turn into snakes.The g.i’s are discovered and said to have offended the cult so they are cursed to die one by one. this starts to happen when a mysterious woman turns up and one of the men falls in love with her. Not bad at all with good cast of stars to be Richard Long, Marshall Thompson, Faith Domergue, Jack Kelly, David Janssen, William Reynolds. 8/10

How I Got Into College. Excellent.

The Hard Way ( 1979 ).

Hitman played by Patrick McGoohan who has decided to retire gets lured into one more job by crime boss Lee Van Cleef. McGoohan decided not to go through with the job, and so becomes the target himself. Slow still film, which is even more so with the scenes set in the vast countryside. The slowness just adds to the coldness of the film, which I liked.

Barbarella
-Some pretty, pretty Laa-laa-laa fun for the sleepless night. I need to get excessive machine! :smiley:

Death Smiles at Murder
-I think I’ve seen this almost 10 times or so. Still can’t figure out the plot and I still love it.

Match Point
-Great drama/thriller from Woody. Second time I saw it, maybe even better this time.

Harakiri aka. Seppuku (1962) and Samurai Rebellion, both by Masaki Kobayashi.
Those films became instantly my favorites of all time. Samurai Rebellion (1967) was a masterpiece as well, but I still prefer Seppuku.
The story is without any hope, the great revenge tale. I’d even say this is the must-see movie.

1. Seppuku - 10/10
  2. Samurai Rebellion - 10/10 8)

[quote=“Mickey13, post:6298, topic:1923”]Harakiri aka. Seppuku (1962) and Samurai Rebellion, both by Masaki Kobayashi.
Those films became instantly my favorites of all time. Samurai Rebellion (1967) was a masterpiece as well, but I still prefer Seppuku.
The story is without any hope, the great revenge tale. I’d even say this is the must-see movie.

1. Seppuku - 10/10
  2. Samurai Rebellion - 10/10 8)[/quote]Have you seen Duel in the Eclipse yet? That’s basically a western variation of Seppuku.

Not yet. That’s why I’m looking forward to it so much.
It seems RPEG has the same structure, so this is already a very good element. Actually the most engaging thing in Seppuku is a structure aside from a brilliant direction and an acting.
I hope Merino who wasn’t a typical western director made something really good. He was more interested in science-fiction and horror movies, and I hope that particularly horror elements will be well-made. :smiley:
Maybe it will became my top 20 stuff… who knows… :wink:
I like those surreal westerns, but I’m a bit afraid of Merino’s direction. Hope it won’t disappoint me. :frowning: