The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

I haven’t seen Rambo 5 yet either but agree with your observations.

Now, Clint Eastwood’s Richard Jewell film must endure defamatory nonsense for his cinematic jab at fake news. One of many attacks that will ensue…“Boycott calls over egregiously sexist depiction of reporter” link below.

The thing is, the Richard Jewel movie portrays a real (and now deceased) journalist named Kathy Scruggs sleeping with someone to get a story. Not surprisingly, friends and colleagues of Scruggs have found this potrayal to be highly defamatory.

Not all complaints about the content of films are pushing an agenda.

Olivia Wilde stands by Richard Jewell and is upset by bigoted, double standard hateful sexists who reduce her entire Scruggs role to the suggestion of sex for information.

“She had a very close relationship with the cops and the FBI helping to tell their story, and yes, by all accounts she had relationships with different people in that field but what I resented was this character being boiled down to one inferred scene and I don’t hear anyone complaining about Jon Hamm’s character as being inferred that he also had a relationship with a reporter.”

“If there’s anything slightly questionable about a female character, we often use that in relation to condemn that character or to condemn the project for allowing for a woman to be impure in a way,” she said. “It’s a misunderstanding of feminism to assume that all women have to be sexless. I resent the character being minimized to that point.”

The filmmakers are upset at what they regard as attacks by the AJC and will not stand for it: “It is unfortunate and the ultimate irony that the Atlanta Journal Constitution, having been a part of the rush to judgment of Richard Jewell, is now trying to malign our filmmakers and cast. ‘Richard Jewell’ focuses on the real victim, seeks to tell his story, confirm his innocence and restore his name. The AJC’s claims are baseless and we will vigorously defend against them.”

The-Meg

The Meg (2018, John Turtletaub)

Finally watched it and was almost pleasantly surprised after what some people had said about it. Take for instance @last.caress’s comment:

“One of the poorest movies I’ve ever seen in a cinema. (…) My capsule review of The Meg : Load of old bumshit. Avoid.”

Don’t worry, I’m not going to say that it was good, or even decent, but it was not as hopeless as I feared it would be. It feels like a Jaws ripoff with a Moby Dick sized shark, but unlike some other recent shark movies like The Reef or The Shallows, it fails to create any of the expected shark thrills. You don’t watch these movies for multi-layered scripts or great performances, but you expect them to offer at least a few scares. Jason Stratham is no Captain Ahab, that’s for sure, and maybe the Meg is just too big to be threatening, I don’t know.

:star:½

What a great tagline.

2 Likes

Would have looked great on the posters. I was dragged to see it on holiday last year - not my sort of thing at all but daft, brainless fun. I don’t mind Jason Statham and it was better than this summer’s Statham film, Hobbs and Shaw.

I was like oh no he is going to rate a shark movie four stars and then:

What a bummer.

OK, special scherp for tomas rating: :star2::star2::star2: ½ (not :star2::star2::star2::star2:, four would be ridiculous)

1 Like

Thanks. Actually, I’ve seen the movie few months ago. Ok, I skipped through few scenes. Alright, alright I skipped through a lot of scenes to the extent I barely knew what it is about, but hey, it seemed to me as a solid 3 out of 5.

It was made with a big budget (I guess), so the special effects and all the rest looked good (only the finale had a sort of plastic look), but when a shark movie has no real scares nor any real feeling of threat, it’s a failure imo. As if you’re watching a glossy suspense yarn, well-filmed on glorious locations, but lacking that one thing a suspense yarn should have: suspense

Yes, I undestand. A shark movie without suspense is like a spaghetti western without steffen’s rollover.

3 Likes

I honestly saw The Meg as more of a comedy - a huge, bloated spoof on Jaws

In that case it lacked the single quality every comedy should have: being funny :wink:

1 Like

Yup!

Perish the thought

1. Schlesinger: Midnight Cowboy 8/10
  2. Melville: Le cercle rouge (cinema) 8/10
  3. Zvjagintsev: Vozvrashchenie/The Return 8/10
  4. Wiene: Dr Caligari’s Cabinet 10/10
  5. Clément: Jeux interdits 7/10
  6. Kar-Wai: As Tears Go By (cinema) 7/10
  7. Almodovar: The Skin I Live in 8/10
  8. Stone: Heaven & Earth 6/10
  9. Ruutsalo: Windy Day 5/10
  10. Fellini: La dolce vita (cinema) 7/10
  1. Fanetti: Malù e l’amante 6/10
  2. Laurenti: Night Nurse/L’infermiera di notte 6/10
  3. Gordon & Abel: Paris pieds nus 6/10
  4. Vu: The Color Out of Space 6/10
  5. Muro: Street Trash 6/10
  6. Kotcheff: Wake in Fright 10/10
  7. Kassila: Kaasua, komisario Palmu 10/10
  8. Kar-Wai: In the Mood for Love 10/10
  9. Binder & Acomba: The Star Wars Holiday Special 0/10
  10. Biller: Love Witch 9/10

The Elephant Man (Lynch,1980) - 4/5
All That Heaven Allows (Sirk, 1955) - 4.5/5
Make Way for Tomorrow (McCarey, 1937) - 4/5
The 39 Steps (Hitchcock, 1935) - 3.5/5
Henry V (Branagh, 1989) - 4.5/5
Blow-Up (Antonioni, 1966) - 3.5/5
A Place in the Sun (Stevens, 1951) - 3.5/5
Repulsion (Polanski, 1965) - 4/5
Les Diaboliques (Clouzot, 1955) - 4.5/5
A Matter of Life and Death (Pressburger/Powell, 1946) - 4/5
Haxan (Christensen, 1922) - 4/5
Don’t Look Back (Pennebaker, 1967) - 4.5/5
Detour (Ulmer, 19450) - 4/5
Fists in the Pocket (Bellocchio, 1965) - 5/5
Le Samurai (Melville, 1967) - 5/5 Not sure why, but @Mickey13 may like this film.

3 Likes

Dolemite is my name. Absolutely great, watch it!

The Nightmare Before Christmas. 7/10 . Maybe a bit stingy rating for this very well animated film which took several years to be made.