The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Well made but depressing (says the guy who just gave Fists in the Pocket 5/5).

Fists in the Pockets itā€™s really a depressing film, I canā€™t find a better word

1 Like

But not bad

Yes not bad at all, how to destroy old western family morality in 90m, not sure if a good viewing choice for xmas time

2 Likes

A Touch of Zen. Wow, gorgeous movie. The story gets a bit convoluted at times, but wowā€¦ impressive

1 Like

Bill Lustigā€™s MANIAC. Donā€™t worry, not gonna be my final movie of 2019. The year is still long :slight_smile:

1 Like

Last night: The Lighthouse (Eggers, 2019)

ā€˜The Devilā€™s Nightmareā€™ (1971)

Not my usual cup of tay, but I found it very enjoyable - maybe because of this lady, Erika Blanc ā€¦ wow! :wink: 6/10

Last films of the 2019

1. Lenzi: Almost Human
  2. Sirk: Imitation of Life 9/10
  3. Franco: Snake Woman 4/10
  4. Douglas: Saps at the Sea 7/10
  5. Brass: The Key 8/10
  6. Warren: Manos the Hand of Fate 1/10 or 10/10
  7. Franco: Devil Hunter 5/10
  8. Truffaut: Lā€™argent de poche 8/10

Please, explain

It seems thereā€™s an Manos Franchise, with a few sequels

Manos is hard to rate like normal movies. One of those films that are so bad that theyā€™re good, but Manos really sets the new standard for a bad film. It lacks all the basics of a movie making. It makes Ed Wood films look like Orson Welles. And I enjoy it so much! If Iā€™d rate it as a film critic Iā€™d have to give 1/10, If I rate it just personally as a movie fan itā€™s 10/10.

There is a sequel actually

Knives Out (2019) :star::star::star:
Good whoddunit mystery movie with a nice cast of characters,ā€¦ felt like i was watching a long Colombo TV Episode.:slightly_smiling_face:

Joker (2019):star::star:1/2
Great performance from Joaquin Phoenix, but the movie itself just didnā€™t do anything for me.

Once Upon a Timeā€¦in Hollywood (2019:star::star:1/2
Fell asleep twice in the first 2 hours or so,ā€¦ shut it off and went back a couple of days later to see if it would get any better,ā€¦ hmmm well, yeah kind of.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I loved most of the movie and all the spaghetti western references. The ending was not what I expected but hey it is a Tarantino film after all.

2 Likes

What did you think of the Bruce Lee scene?

I thought it was great. The guy they got to play Bruce really looks and sounds a lot like him. I wonā€™t comment on how they depicted Bruceā€™s attitude or fighting skills because itā€™s just a fictional movie not a documentary. Iā€™d give the movie 8/10 rating.

2 Likes

I liked it too, but I think an opportunity was missed for something more on ā€˜Rickā€™sā€™ career as a Spaghetti Western star, other than a few excellent spoof posters.

One scene takes place in a restaurant in Almeria, Spain ā€¦ which did not evoke anything to do with the place or era. The title card could have read, Outer Hebrides!!! ā€¦ WTF didnā€™t QT and his gang go and film in the Almeria desert ??? that if pulled off correctly would have rivalled the Bruce Lee scene, which I thought very funny ā€¦ the guyā€™s facial expressions and pretentiousness captured perfectly.

Hated the fantasy ā€˜Great Escapeā€™ bit ā€¦ ok, it was only in Rickā€™s imagination, but still ā€¦ shouldnā€™t mess with certain stuff. :smile:

1 Like

I totally agree! I thought that part of the film was rushed with the narrator summarizing things far too quickly. They shouldā€™ve taken a good chunk of time for Rickā€™s Italian Western career instead of so much time on the Manson family stuff. At least, like you said, we got to see the posters and Sergio Corbucci was mentioned by name and a couple other directors. They couldā€™ve had a scene with Rick hanging out with Franco Nero and Vanessa Redgrave or something at least.

2 Likes