The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

No Tenebrae? There is Gemma so it should be n1 on the list. :smile:

I liked it as well. Tenebrae and Torso would be in my top 2 of all Giallos(that Iā€™ve seen). Thereā€™s also a good one that starts off with a guy witnessing a murder through a large store or apt. ground-floor window by a disguised figure but canā€™t assist the victim due to a locked door.

Edit: I looked up Titoliā€™s list and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage was the one with the title I couldnā€™t think of.

Wednesday was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood No.2, and I have another ticket for a sunday show, which will be one of the few in 35mm :)))

Tenebrae is one of Argentoā€™s giallo masterpieces (+ Deep Red, The Birdā€¦, Suspiria and Phenomena being the others) and it was made in 80s when Italian cinematography already started to fall apart for some reason and giallo was pretty much dead at that time. Actually it is probably the best late giallo out there.

1 Like

Last 10

1. Nikolaidis: Singapore Sling 9/10
  2. Mora: Howling II 7/10
  3. Carnimeo: Crazy Bunch 7/10
  4. Mulligan: The Other 7/10
  5. McLeod: Monkey Business 9/10
  6. Amero: Blonde Ambition 4/10
  7. Strickland: The Duke of Burgundy 7/10
  8. Tarantino: Once Upon a Timeā€¦ in Hollywood (cinema) 9/10
  9. Scott: The Martian 7/10
  10. Franco: Dirty Games in Casablanca 6/10
1 Like

Ffolkesā€¦ alright but not great I think

Saw Once upon a time in Hollywood in the cinema last night, a pleasent and entertaining flick. Very cool with all the Spaghetti Western stuff baked into the plot. Definatly his most comedic movie so far IMO.

This weekā€™s Tuesday film night wasā€¦

The Driver (Hill / 1978)

Donā€™t think Iā€™d seen this since watching it in the cinema when it first came out and to be honest I didnā€™t think it was as good as I remembered it. The car chases are good but the characters are really one dimensional and the dialogue, despite being very sparse, is often a bit trite and pointless. I like Hillā€™s films on the whole and I also like Ryan Oā€™Neal but somehow this all felt a bit empty. Some good moments and certainly not terrible but just not the mini classic I kind of remembered it as being.

2 Likes

I often have that with Hillā€™s movies. He has a good sense of style and so much flair for action moments, that you tend to overlook these shortcomings in characterizations and storytelling when you first watch his movies, but on a re-watch, these shortcomings become apparent.

Purely by coincidence, Iā€™m in the middle of Southern Comfort, and I have similar feelings. The movie has great atmosphere, the actors are cool, but the characterizations seem to be written in shorthand

2 Likes

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) - 3.5/5.

Watched OUATIH also - the movie was about 2hr 40min and when it ended I thought about 1.5 hours had gone by - I guess I enjoyed it thenšŸ¤ 

Yeah, definitely one of Tarantinos better ones 9/10.

THOROUGHBREDS (2018, Corey Finley) :star::star::star:

An independent production that was picked up by a major studio after it had generated some raving comments at the Sundance Film Festival. It tells the story of two girls who rekindle their friendship after a couple of years of separation, and then develop a plan to get rid of one of the girlā€™s oppressive stepfather. The tongue-in-cheek approach never really pays off and the film is not as grim, funny and incisive as it thinks it is, but Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy are among the most talented and attractive young actresses around (especially Cooke is very good here) and they are almost believable as the two destructive friends. Worth a look, in spite of its flaws.

THE BATTLE OF ROGUE RIVER (1953, William Castle) :star:

An Indians versus Cavalry western with a familiar premise: unscrupulous businessmen try to frustrate the peace negotiations between the red and the white men, risking a war. I like a good old-fashioned Injuns western from time to time, even if itā€™s a bit stupid, but this one is weak in nearly every department. The good cast is wasted

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1964, Lewis Gilbert) :star::star::star:

When I first saw it, as a teenager, it hit me like a storm, when I re-watched it some twenty years later, it felt more like a mild breeze, and thatā€™s probably still the way to describe it: this is an undistinguished, but easygoing Bond. Most of it is routine (a fistfight, a girl, another fistfight, another girl, a chase, a set, girl, and so forth) but it passes the time smoothly. Some of the special effects are of Thunderbirds quality and the script (by no other than Roald Dahl) is almost laughably stupid, but the nice Japanese locations, Ken Adamā€™s tremendous sets and especially Little Nellie save it

SOUTHERN COMFORT (1981, Walter Hill) :star::star::star:Ā½

A group of National Guardists is targeted by the locals in the Louisiana bayous after stealing two canoes. In my mind this was one of the directorā€™s best movies, probably only second to The Warriors. I still think itā€™s quite good, but itā€™s not without shortcomings. For a Walter Hill movie, it is rather restrained, with the emphasis on menace and atmosphere rather than action. The Deliverance type of premise and the great cinematography turn it into a good suspense yarn, but - as more often with this director - characterizations are superficial and most of the dialogue is rather simplistic. Best part is the finale, set within a Cajun village

JUNGLE (2017, Greg McLean) :star::star::star:Ā½

Again a survival movie, but this one was based on facts: Daniel Radcliffe plays Yossi Ghinsberg, an Israeli adventurer who undertook a survival trip in the Amazone forest, along with two guys he knew from earlier adventures, and a mysterious stranger who says he has information about some undiscovered places and a hidden tribe, living deep into the forest. Of course things go terribly wrong. Radcliffe finally manages to shake off his Harry Potter image with a bravura performance. The drug induced hallucinations and flashbacks slow the movie down, and the narrative occasionally verges on melodrama, especially in the second half, but overall this is a good survival movie, eerie, intense and occasionally quite gruesome

4 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: James Bond

Once Upon A Time In A Hollywood - I would say I belong into the target audience of this movie and as such I enjoyed it wholehearteadly. I can imagine though all those people departing theatres saying ā€œwhat the fuck was that all about?ā€. Canā€™t blame them really. But I guess lot of folks have at least some awareness about Manson. Certainly more than about spaghetti westerns. Plus, you could easily cut some material out without doing much harm to the movie. I wasnā€™t actually expecting such a turn in Quentinā€™s favor after Death Proof, Inglorious Bastards and Django. Not bad movies, but in all three examples I was always displeasured with something. So, my personal QT movie list looks like this now:

1. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
  2. H8
  3. Pulp Fiction
  4. Kill Bill
  5. Reservoir Dogs
  6. Django
  7. Inglorious Basterds
  8. Death Proof
  9. Jackie Brown

Way of the Dragon - Bruce Lee

Whatever appeal it might have had in the 70s, it has none today for me. Cheap in every respect this is a boring mess. Even the sped up fight scenes donā€™t work. 1/10

Is that the movie set in Rome, with the fight (with Norris) in the Coliseum?
If so, that is indeed a boring, amateurish mesh.

I found the Japanese theatrical release of Way of the Dragon a lot better because it was enhanced by a groovy 1970s soundtrack. Shout factory provided this audio option as an extra and now I canā€™t watch the film any other way.

Yep.
Best acting by far comes from a cat. Alas, little kitten appears only in one scene ā€¦

Now it is just a movie for martial artists who want to see Norris/Lee fight and have good time watching how silly it is.