The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Glad to spot so many of the abundant spaghetti western references

Well, I love Chandler, but I can’t say I really love any of the movie adaptations. Some decent movies, yes. But not of Chandler quality. I like, by the way, Altman’s The Long Goodbye and Richards’ Farewell My Lovely (with Mitchum) best. I have never been a fan of Bogart and Bacall

I think you have to be somewhat of a sci-fi nerd (like myself) to really get into the movie. It’s my #2 favourite film of all time behind GBU. Like many spags, I find the music is the best part of the film. Pretentious? Yes
but I like pretentious sometimes (I am a fan of progressive rock lol). 2001 is also very pretentious but many people love that one (it would be my #3 favourite). I have the final cut of Blade Runner on blu-ray and visually and stylistically it is a real experience to watch in hi-def. I am a huge fan of the Alien franchise of films but really Alien 1979 is just a haunted house movie with Giger’s exquisitely designed xenomorph alien.

1 Like

Yeah, but as haunted house movies go 
 ! It’s still brilliant after 40 years, with only the computer graphics looking dated. I had an opportunity to see it in the theatre on a double bill with Carpenters ‘The Fog’, about 1982 
 instead I chose to see ‘Enter the Dragon’ and some Jackie Chan movie 
 what a mistake!

2 Likes

I agree it is brilliant. I went through a period of watching the newer prequels that Scott did almost every night because I thought Michael Fassbender was great in them. Scott did some good commentary tracks on the blu-rays. He’s getting up there in age, though.

1 Like

Sounds brilliant!

As good as Michael Fassbender is, I felt that Ridley Scott became over-occupied - obsessed, even - with his character(s) in the Alien prequels, ultimately to the detriment of everything else. When you’ve got two Michael Fassbenders in your movie, with one offering to hold the shaft and do the fingering while the other one blows, you’ve definitely overdosed on Fassbender. :slightly_smiling_face:

Agreed 100%. Sir Ridley is always good value on a commentary track. Always a good mix of the technical with the anecdotal.

1 Like

Farewell My Lovely is a pretty good, though not a very inspired Chandler adaptation, and actually Mitchum (and not Bogart) is for me the perfect Marlowe. When I read the books Marlowe always looks like Mitchum.

Altman’s The Long Goodbye is an excellent film, maybe Altman’s best, but of course he only uses the novel for a fascinating piece of a 70s revisionist rethinking of genre conventions.

Hawks The Big Sleep was closer to Chandler in its first version, while the in parts re-shot 2nd version, the one which was released, is much more a typical Hawks film. This is quite funny, as Hawks was forced by the studio to shoot the new scenes and recut the film.

What’s about Murder My Sweet (1944)?
This was always praised, as well as an Chandler adaptation as also for Powell’s take on Marlowe. But I could only watch it one time in the 80s, and therefore remember not much, and I’m curious to re-watch it.

Other adaptations like The Lady in the Lake (1946) and Marlowe (1968) are well done, despite not being too memorable. And Michael Winner’s version of The Big Sleep is a pretty sloppy film, like so many works of that director, and despite Mitchum reprising in the lead a forgettable film.

Just like you I’ve watched it only once, on television, long ago. I should rewatch it to say something conclusive about it.

Yes, for me Mitchum is the real Marlowe as well, not Bogart

LOL ! I must have missed that particular edit :slight_smile:

I liked ‘Prometheus’ very much 
 many great ideas and strong visuals, but with ‘Covenant’, co-starring Danny McBride 
 terrible casting - He’s hilarious as the loutish egomaniac ‘Kenny Powers in Eastbound and Down’ 
 but in a serious Sci Fi movie, I just kept expecting to hear a Kenny style redneck sarcastic un-pc comment or two 
 he does refer to one of the ladies as “Sugar Tits”, afraid that blew the movie’s credibility for me. :wink:

1 Like

Me too!..It’s due for a re-watch, maybe this coming weekend.

1 Like

Scott’s Blade Runner always have been a favorite of mine, was probably the first fil I’ve watch with an artistic critic point of view, not that I was searching for it, at that age I just wanted to have fun in the cinema or watching films in TV, the film itself gave me that opportunity it made me think, taking me to point beyond fun.
Still a favorite after several rewatch mostly because:
In visual terms it’s an amazing film in that perspective the photography work is fantastic, and it still looks better than many modern day films with loads of CGI and stuff, while it was made in the analogical period but ultimately better than digital. The influence of German expressionism via Lang’s Metropolis, but also the light combination the difference between the places the upper class and lower class with light and dark/grey colors used respectively, visually is a great experience, and a very influential one.
The thematics maybe not such a perfect aspect as the visual one, and most likely he reason why Blade Runner wasn’t an instant success by the time it came out, with the more complicated theme when compared with E.T. or Tron of the same period, but still every character is strongly developed, not about the meaning of life, but what is life, the way how the Deus ex machina concept is used in a good way.
The use of slow motion the perfect combination between music and imagens in a Morricone/Leone perfect symbiosis style, the actors at the peak of their acting careers and some of the most iconic scenes of modern cinema made an instant classic to me. The noir feeling and the ambiguity that is never solved makes the film work perfectly
Yes there’s a lot versions director’s cut of the director’s cut but that doesn’t matter it’s marketing.
So is Deckard a replicant or human? For me is a human that is tried to believe he’s a replicant
Saying this about Blade Runner I don’t like any of the Alien Prequels, and RS not even directed the Alien film that is Alien 2

3 Likes

Last 10

1. Johnson: Operation Avalanche 5/10
  2. Jönturk: Cango korkusuz adam 4/10
  3. Yalinkilic: Profesyoneller: Kan kin silah 6/10
  4. Arkin: Little Murders 9/10
  5. Sharp: Rasputin the Mad Monk 7/10
  6. Mackenzie: Unman, Wittering and Zigo 6/10
  7. Hill: Streets of Fire 7/10
  8. Franco: Mari-Cookie and the Killer Tarantula 5/10
  9. Korine: Beach Bum 8/10
  10. Lewin: Picture of Dorian Gray 7/10
1 Like

I watched Once Upon A Time In Mexico on a Bluray received today, but had watched it before twice on TV many years ago.
I like it very much combining hispanic feeling, great SW influence and action loaded with stylish shootouts and no boring moments, with great actors Banderas and one of my favourites Depp as an interesting character.
Maybe the guitars with hidden guns were borrowed from Sabata. The scene when Depp gets ready for his last gundown is really in the right mood. The story is OK with some little twists, and the music is also quite good.
Just now I rate it as high as a 9 out of 10 compared to IMDb 6.4. Irgendwann in Mexico (2003) - IMDb

1 Like

A Far Off Place (1993)
Brick (2005)
Frog Dreaming aka The Quest (1986)

Prior to landing a job,I was devouring a lot of movies. These days. I usually watch one movie a night :sweat_smile:

Key Largo is one of my favorite Bogart flicks. The Petrified Forest is high up there along everything else you typed
 Seriously sooooo many great movies. I’ve not watched To Have and Have Not but just yesterday I downloaded The Roaring Twenties with Cagney and Bogart.

Tuesday film night this week was

Blood Moon (Wooding / 2014)

Met the director of this British horror western a few years ago when he spoke at a Spaghetti Western conference in Bradford and have been meaning to watch it ever since.

Shot in a re-enactor’s western town in Kent of all places. The locations look really good actually and the film has some good moments but fails in a couple of key areas (especially a very underwhelming ending). But hey, it was made cheap and looks much better than it has any right to. We had fun with it anyway, warts and all.

And Tuesday film night this week

Deep Red (Argento/1975)

Well, what can I say. Still a classic and felt that having recently watched Bird with the Crystal Plumage and Suspiria my youngest should complete her Argento trifecta with this one. Visually brilliant, brilliant score from Goblin and full of enough jumps and scares to make this the quintessential Giallo / Horror hybrid. Scared the bejesus out of my daughter (although to be fair she scares pretty easy) but she really liked it.

For me, it has been some time since I last watched it and was glad to know it still ranks very high for me. A real pleasure.

Raw Deal

1986 Directed by John Irvin

So bad it’s good. Especially Arnie’s lines. Few more memorable scenes (apart from the “driving with one arm, shooting riffle hittting bullseye with the other while blasting Satisfaction” one) would’ve probable elevated it to cult status.

Screenplay by one of two Sergios who wrote the screenplay for Once Upon a Time in the West, and the guy who with that other Sergio wrote the story for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. All three wrote the screenplay for Duck, You Sucker! too.

2 Likes

It is praised because it is easily the best Marlowe movie. I’ve never seen more stylish noir. Dick Powel is pretty funny and has many hilarious lines (like “It is a funny thing but every third day I get hungry” or “If an elephant stepped on his head - same effect”). Thus it is as much comedy as it is noir. His acting reminded me of Roger Moore’s James Bond.

Personal Argento Top 5:

1. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage 1970
  2. Deep Red 1975
  3. Sleepless 2001
  4. Four Flies on Grey Velvet 1971
  5. Suspiria 1977