The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Repo Men (2010)

One of those movies, I’ve been avoiding for a long time, I’ve have no idea why. I’m even fan of Law. But not law. Perplexing. It’s actually pretty good flick and Jude is absolutely badass in this very well directed action scifi. The film is only eight years old, but I somehow feel it got that spice which a lot of nowadays action movies lack. But there are also some negatives. It is a bit overlong and you can easily say what can be cut out without any harm to the storyline. The other con is final twist with virtual reality which is simply horrible and I hope some day they make reasonably chopped version without that bullshit.

1 Like

Dark Shadows, 2012 vs. Dark Shadows, 1966: the TV-series.

Both had a multitude of directions to veer-into. Neither project could actually stay on-track long enough to be successful at carrying horror-fans’ interest. Though the TV-series sort of did after it wrapped-up its silly ‘Children Of The Damned’ foray in season-1. But ghosts and witches with raging superpowers are just plain unnecessary if the premise is immortal romance.

King Cohen (2017) - Comprehensive overview of Larry Cohen’s career, from his early days starting as a writer for shows like Branded and The Invaders to becoming writer, producer, director. Lots of interviews and stories from Cohen about how he made his films. A very enjoyable watch as a fan of his work.

I’d never seen Branded or the original Invaders series, so am going to watch both now. Invaders so far is excellent, can’t believe I’ve never seen it. Still have yet to start Branded.

Only watched four films in the last ten days (I’ve mostly been rewatching Cheers from start to finish):

Cannonball Run II (Needham, 1984) :star::star::star:
The Handmaiden (Park, 2016) :star::star::star::star:
Project A (Chan, 1983) :star::star::star:
One-Armed Swordsman (Chang, 1967) :star::star::star::star:

Great film, but my favorite Chang Cheh is still The New One-Armed Swordsman, the (if I’m not mistaken) third part of the trilogy, one of the greatest pieces of violent action cinema in history

1 Like

Mental note made to check out the One Armed Swordsman series… Haven’t seen any of them, although I may have watched the Zatoichi entry, not sure… been getting a hankering for watching some of these lately though

The first and the third are excellent, the middle part is less convinvcing, at least that was my idea

Othello (1952) Orson Welles - Absolutely beautiful movie with almost every scene filled with gorgeous imagery, but I just can’t get into the actual movie because of the theatrical dialogue… I know its Shakespeare, but the style of delivery just won’t let me think of anything but all the douchebag theatre types I’ve known who are totally self absorbed and act constantly just like all the actors in this film… all I can see when watching is pretentiousness even if its not an accurate perception… Its not so much the dialogue itself as the manner of speaking and the way the actors have these certain looks and mannerism about them

1 Like

I like Shakespeare, but I get restless. My subconscious-mind knows he was restricted from writing more action-scenes because they couldn’t stage them back then.

1 Like

Eh, I can’t stand Shakespeare films. It’s ok with films like Johnny Hamlet or similars where the basic plot or ideas has been snatched from Shakespeare but direct adaptations of his plays are so ponderous.

1 Like

Polanski’s version of ‘Macbeth’ is good fun :smiley:

2 Likes

Great film, nice and violent too. Much better than Welles’ version.

Same here. As much as I wanted to like Othella for its beautiful scenery, I didn’t enjoy it at all and have a hard time seeing how anyone could even get into it…

I’ve never seen Polanski’s Macbeth although I’ve watched most of his stuff and like it, probably because its Shakespeare :drooling_face: But I’ll give it a look.

But speaking of Shakespeare, I just love Theater of Blood :smiley:

The relatively recent Macbeth (Kurzel, 2015) starring Michael Fassbender in the title role was good, and of course Kurosawa’s Throne of Blood (1957) was an outstanding adaptation.

Last couple of weeks:
Bad Santa (Zwigoff, 2003) :star::star::star:
Night of the Comet (Eberhardt, 1984) :star::star::star:
Masked Avengers (Chang, 1981) :star::star::star::star:
Tokyo Godfathers (Kon, 2003) :star::star::star:
J.D.'s Revenge (Marks, 1976) :star::star:
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman, 2018) :star::star::star::star:
The House That Jack Built (von Trier, 2018) :star::star::star::star:
Deep Red (Argento, 1975) :star::star::star:
The Flying Guillotine (Ho, 1975) :star::star::star:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Liebesman, 2014) :star::star::star:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (Green, 2016) :star::star::star:
Fist of Fury (Lo, 1972) :star::star::star::star:
Maniac Cop (Lustig, 1988) :star::star::star:
Die Hard (McTiernan, 1988) :star::star::star::star:
Killer Constable (Kwei, 1980) :star::star::star::star:
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (Chechik, 1989) :star::star::star::star:
Macbeth (Kurzel, 2015) :star::star::star::star:
The Muppet Christmas Carol (Henson, 1992) :star::star::star::star:
Throne of Blood (Kurosawa, 1957) :star::star::star::star::star:
Elf (Favreau, 2003) :star::star::star::star:
Inferno (Argento, 1980) :star::star::star:
Solo: A Star Wars Story (Howard, 2018) :star::star::star:
Love Actually (Curtis, 2003) :star::star::star:

Gone Baby Gone (2007) - Decent, but not great. Engaging enough to keep my interest and some suspenseful moments but ultimately it just doesn’t deliver. While the ending is downbeat, the preceding conclusion feels stupid to me when the main ideas could have been taken in a much darker, grander direction.

Gone Girl (2014) - I love David Fincher’s style and this was no let down. One of the best film’s I’ve seen all year, and a scene involving Neil Patrick Harris will likely be one of the most memorable scenes in all of film for me. I’m so impressed with this film that I may actually watch it again in a few days so my girlfriend can see it. The film also takes place in an area of Missouri that is close to my hometown.

Last 10

1. Altman: The Long Goodbye 10/10
  2. Amiel: Sommersby 7/10
  3. Scola: Brutti, sporchi e cattivi 8/10
  4. Scola: C’eravamo tanto amati 9/10
  5. Scola: Le bal 6/10
  6. Scola: La terrazza 6/10
  7. Zwigoff: Bad Santa 6/10
  8. Seikkula: Rampe ja Naukkis -kaikkien aikojen superpari 3/10
  9. Niskanen: Nuoruuteni savotat 7/10
  10. Civeyrac: Mes provinciales 7/10

Unless i feel sudden urge to watch something tomorrow these will be the last films for this year. 310 films in total is not bad, probably my personal record. On the other hand this was a terribly low year for me in cinema visits, out of 310 films only 11 were seen in cinema. I have probably seen more in a month in previous years.

1. is one of my Italian favourite films
1 Like

Indeed

1 Like