The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

I actually like Dough McClure, i’m a big fan of “The Virginian” western TV series…but Humanoids was just too stupid for my liking.

Well, IMO Shane Black probably killed the franchise, it’s a complete disaster.

(autephex) #1226

Started watching 6 Guns (2010) tonight - about 50 minutes in and not sure if I will finish.

Its a remake of Hannie Caulder, so I was curious… it has good costumes, decent set locations and good enough actors for a low budget movie, but unfortunately the director has zero sense of style and its a total bore to watch.

All shots are too tight and up close on the characters - even during outdoor scenes in the desert or in town, shots never pull back to get the scenery. Very boring stuff.

Along with this, the music is typical dull & generic soundtrack

Will be following up sometime soon with another modern remake of Hannie Caulder - Jane Got A Gun starring Natalie Portman - also reviewed very poorly, but we’ll see

(kit saginaw) #1227

Mask Of The Avenger, 1951, with John Derek and Anthony Quinn. A surprisingly uninspiring swordplay-ripoff of Zorro films, taking-place in 1848 Italy. In the hometown of The Count Of Monte Cristo, which is weird. The film-audience is supposed to perceive some association to him. But all we see is his sword behind glass at the base of a statue, at the beginning.

About halfway through, a mysterious hand in a black glove smashes the glass and grabs the sword… and that’s the end of the Count Of Monte Cristo references.

After that, Derek just cavorts around the countryside navigating a ponderous plot involving a greedy Governor and an invasion by Austria, which isn’t really explained. Worse, when the invasion happens, the action stops. Everybody you thought was going to get killed, gets killed in few smoky closeups.

The silliest flaw is when Derek, who comes-and-goes via a secret door leading from his hidden costume-closet, tries to get back in the Governor’s mansion and the door is locked . So he sneaks in a window, where he’s told that the guards had orders to lock every door. Which means they used his hidden closet to lock the secret door… and didn’t mention it to the Governor. The script continues-on without Derek reacting to it. Surreal.

(autephex) #1228

Jane Got a Gun (2015) - This film was everything that 6 Guns wasn’t (which I again attempted to finish but didn’t). Lots of shots making the beautiful scenery part of the visual experience, this director (who followed up with The Accountant) knows how to shoot a western. All around excellent performances from the cast and for such a low attention film, it feels like a bigger budget production.

I wouldn’t really call it a remake of Hannie Caulder though. Its not a revenge story, although there are elements of revenge involved, and its similar in some ways but not the same story.

Great example of why I don’t pay any attention to popular reviews and opinions of films.

Might check this out sometime … haven’t been too excited by recent westerns, but there’s always the rare exception from time to time :smile:

(scherpschutter) #1230

Predator-4

Yes, I watched it, and guess what? It was somewhat enjoyable, but no, not good. The Predator, or Pred4tor (as one poster says) is crap of the fourth kind, or at least a close encounter, but it’s also a kind kind of crap

(autephex) #1231

Now your review has me very curious…

(scherpschutter) #1232

I wasn’t too negative about it …

(autephex) #1233

Nice review, could have written that first line myself. Portman will always be a favorite, and I didn’t realize she was a producer for this film until credits rolled.

I thought the flashback driven narrative was largely what worked for the film, and set it apart from the usual western story.

Great film, much more deserving of a wider audience.

(Stanton) #1234

Yes, Jane Got a Gun is a quite good modern western, much better than its reputation. And it is of course not in the slightest a remake of the far inferior Hannie Caulder. At least I don’t remember any similarities apart from a woman in the lead.

(autephex) #1235

No, its not a remake at all. But I had read on IMBD that it was suppose to be, I think in the trivia section or something.

(scherpschutter) #1236

Quite bizarre that somebody called it a remake. I never thought of Hannie Caulder while watching this movie.

(autephex) #1237

Jane Got a Gun is a work of fiction, and was written by Brian Duffield, who later gained some notoriety for writing the screenplay for Insurgent . But his script for Jane Got a Gun is what first put him on the map back in 2011, earning a spot on the Black List, a collection of the best unproduced screenplays. But even though the story came from Duffield, he didn’t pull it completely out of thin air. Rather, he was influenced by another film. According to IMDb, Duffield’s script is loosely based upon the 1971 film Hannie Caulder .