The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

The Dirty Dozen & The Great Escape back to back. I think I still like the latter a bit more.

If you’re lonely, or simply don’t like Christmas, you can always make it scary with a fun horror movie. BETTER WATCH OUT is scary, and it is fun. Read all about it in my review HERE :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just watched it myself off of your recommendation. Not bad. Weird energy: Too light to sit alongside the likes of Black Christmas but maybe too grisly to work like a Gremlins or similar, but it was a decent enough bit of silly seasonal fluff anyway and I can see it becoming a December regular at casa.caress for a few years at least. :+1:

A claustrophobic thriller, about a robbery that doesn’t go according to plan.
Don’t Breathe exploits its viewer ( and thieves) by trapping them into the unknown, dark, home of a madman! Paranoia runs rampant, and never lets up.

So far I’m three movies into the classic Planet of the Apes series. The third is obviously excellent, so looking forward to the other two, but not before the year ends :slight_smile:
I have also seen that shitty Mark Wahlberg remake of course, and of the new trilogy I’ve only seen the first one so far (horrible), looking forward to seeing the other two as well of course.

1 Like

Love the original film series, even though the quality does drop towards the end … the remake and recent films are atrocious and virtually unwatchable. They are to the Ape series what Daniel Craig is to the Bond movies, long winded pretentious and boring.

Well, i can’t really say it’s the worst scifi movie of this year, because they also made Dark Tower.

After Luc Besson’s Lucy turned out for me to be a major disappointment I didn’t expect much, but hope persisted because, well, he made Fifth Element and Le Dernier Combat and Leon and probably at least three other good flicks. First scene in Valerian with Bowie’s song is pretty good, then we see this beautiful paradise beach planet with giant shells in sand and I say “wow”, this could actually be a great scifi. Another scene, finally with Valerian and Loreline is fine action piece, which doesn’t make much sense when you give it a deeper thought, but it is very entertaining, so what the hell, get lost, inner critic, I’m hooked. And there’s one other great revelation coming with this scene: two main leads Dane (Valerian) and Cara (Loreline), are both great and have some spectacular chemistry between them. When I saw them on pictures, I presumed they are nothing special, but boy have I been wrong. Well, it happens sometimes. Don’t judge actors by their stills. Anyway, as story progresses it somehow starts to feel disjointed, but in the end Besson delivers explanations and it quite make sense. At least more than script writing for Last Jedi. But as I already stated this movie is a treat mainly because of the actors. Oh yes, and visual imagery is breathtaking, similar to FE in style but much much diverse and all over the screen, you can watch scenes multiple times and still find something new. But I’ve been told by some people that it is utterly boring, so go figure.

1 Like

In the last three weeks:
Smokey and the Bandit (Needham, 1977) :star::star::star:
Blade (Norrington, 1998) :star::star::star:
Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 1951) :star::star::star:
Blade II (del Toro, 2002) :star::star::star::star:
Assault on Precinct 13 (Carpenter, 1976) :star::star::star::star:
Ed Wood (Burton, 1994) :star::star::star::star::star:
Plan 9 From Outer Space (Wood, 1959) :star::star::star::star:
Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Zahler, 2017) :star::star:
Ran (Kurosawa, 1985) :star::star::star::star::star:
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Tezuka, 2002) :star::star::star::star:
The Expendables (Stallone, 2010) :star::star::star:
Die Hard (McTiernan, 1988) :star::star::star::star:
Bad Santa (Zwigoff, 2003) :star::star::star:
Raw (Ducournau, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
A Ghost Story (Lowery, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) :star::star::star::star:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) :star::star::star:
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Johnson, 2017) :star::star::star:
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (Chechik, 1989) :star::star::star::star:
Better Watch Out (Peckover, 2017) :star::star::star:
The Muppet Christmas Carol (Henson, 1992) :star::star::star::star::star:
Die Hard 2 (Harlin, 1990) :star::star::star:
Elf (Favreau, 2003) :star::star::star::star:

Haven’t seen a movie since Christmas day, been watching TV show box-sets over the last week: Game of Thrones season 7, Westworld, Blue Planet II, Red Dwarf XI, Modern Family season 8, Black Mirror season 4.

Hi @tomas … I wonder why Star Wars fans keep on punishing themselves - No one seems to like what George Lucas did with the series in 1999, and yet fans still keep hanging on desperately hoping to get the same rush they did from the original trilogy.
I was 12 when the first movie was released, and though I enjoyed it well enough at the time, I never bought into the whole concept. Now I find the cheesy whiney dialogue unbearable, and that only got worse when the long awaited prequels arrived.
I suppose there’s just too much money to be made from merchandising, which fans must realise will NEVER be worth anything in the future, as 1000s are hoarding every toy and souvenir available. It’s disheartening that some films are now made as adverts for selling toys, when the industry could be investing in committed visionary teams of filmmakers to work on something new that will excite and ignite the imaginations of movie fans for generations.
Unfortunately I think we are living through the bleakest period in cinema history, but I’ve been saying that for more than 30 years.
Take it, if you will that Lucas is now actually Darth Vader, and Hollywood the Empire … boy do we need a saviour !!! :relaxed:

Howdy - well, I’ve never been a die hard fan of the franchise, but I somewhat appreciate the original trilogy and even to some extent Lucas’ prequels, but man, The Last Jedi is a something different. If I am fanboy, I would be very disappointed by this movie. Merchandising aside, this movie is a feminist’s nightmare, since lousy storytelling makes of every heroine in the movie a stupid person. There are also some other naive political messages packed in, also absolutely unnecessary subplots, wasted characters, not to mention ignorance of laws of physics, also some attempts to make Star Wars arty farty and cringy jokes.

Good point. Recently I watched documentary Jodorowsky’s Dune, and I wonder what would it mean to sf genre if his version of Dune had been made back then instead of Star Wars.

Thanks for the warning - as I don’t expect much from franchise movies, I’ll probably not hate it as much as hard core fans - but I can wait until it appears on TV at Christmas when I’m half drunk and less critical. :slight_smile:

Hadnt seen this before, but kept getting told about it. Pretty enjoyable!

A bit too long but still great!

This was a really good sequel for me, very relaxing to watch with outstanding visuals. Ryan Gosling IMO, did a good job and the rest of the cast were decent enough on their own including Harrison Ford who doesn’t show up until much, much later. It’s a long movie but i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh man!!! That’s all I’ll say!!

La Dolce Vita. Our woman Ida Galli was in it!

So far in 2018:
Machete (Rodriguez/Maniquis, 2010) :star::star::star::star:
Machete Kills (Rodriguez, 2013) :star::star::star:
The Eiger Sanction (Eastwood, 1975) :star::star::star:
Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome (Pate, 2012) :star::star::star:
A Serious Man (Coen/Coen, 2009) :star::star::star::star:
Blue Ruin (Saulnier, 2013) :star::star::star::star:
Pinocchio (Sharpsteen/Luske, 1940) :star::star:
Groundhog Day (Ramis, 1993) :star::star::star::star:
Jason Bourne (Greengrass, 2016) :star::star::star::star:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Hand, 1937) :star::star:
Metropolis (Rintaro, 2001) :star::star::star::star:
Witchhammer (aka Kladivo na čarodějnice) (Vávra, 1970) :star::star::star::star:

Oh Mama! … ‘The Eiger Sanction’ does better than two Disney classics !!! That’s hilarious :sweat_smile:

The Eiger Sanction is a pet love/hate flick for me, which, although it sort of entertains :wink: it misfires in just about every department (with exception for the location photography)

Clint who had already conquered the world by 1975, also wanted to be his own half assed James Bond !!! LOL Jonathon Hemlock, Art lecturer and connoisseur, plus part time black ops assassin, racist, homophobe, and male chauvinist. What a misguided venture this was - having said that, it is unintentionally very funny. Minus :star::star::star::star: from me.

I’m not keen on old Disney pictures. The characters don’t seem to ever want to stop singing in these movies, and that bores me. To be clear, I’m not suggesting they’re no good - they’re 80 year-old miracles of cinema - I’m just saying that I saw them, and didn’t personally enjoy them. They’re not for me. The Eiger Sanction is okay, but no more than that, really. Not one of Clint’s better pictures by any means.