Serpico (Lumet, 1973) :star::star::star::star:
Solaris (Tarkovsky, 1972) :star::star::star:
The Dark Tower (Arcel, 2017) :star:
Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans (Herzog, 2009) :star::star::star:
Antichrist (von Trier, 2009) :star::star::star:
Bird (Eastwood, 1988) :star::star:
A Bittersweet Life (Kim, 2005) :star::star::star:
Don’t Look Now (Roeg, 1973) :star::star::star:
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Kubrick, 1964) :star::star::star:
Son of Rambow (Jennings, 2007) :star::star::star:

1 Like

Fantastic 2nd effort from S.Zahler. Got absorbed in it from the very first minutes. What a performance from Vince Vaughn. Probably the best thing I’ve seen this year.

A BETTER TOMORROW (1986, John Woo)

A milestone movie in Hong Kong cinema, the beginning of the so-called ‘bloodshed genre’: ultra-violent, melodramatic crime thrillers with an incredibly high body count and blood flowing like wine (or spurting like geysers). It tells the story of two brothers, Tse-Kit and Tse-Ho, the first one a cop, the other one working for a counterfeit ring, who fall out after the death of their father. The counterfeit brother ends up in jail after being double-crossed, but he’s avenged by a gangland friend, Mark, who is shot in the leg during the settling of the accounts and becomes a cripple. Eventually the three will team up to face the evil incarnate.

John Woo established himself as Hong Kong’s leading action and Chow Yun-fat’s performance as the crippled avenger turned out to be trendsetting. As more often is the case, there’s too much melodrama to make the drama work (and some of the comic relief is laughably inadequate), but John Woo’s balletic bloodbaths are hypnotizing; the dinner assassination scene, with Chow Yun-fat pulling guns on his way out from potted plants (where he had hidden them on his way in) is one of the most influential action sequence in the history of Hong Kong film making. In 2010 the film was remade in Korea (under the title Mujeokja); John Woo acted as producer of the remake.

2 Likes

Well-shot, but no story and no characters to relate to.

Then threw in a couple of classics to compensate for the boring experience Dunkirk was

im a sucker for slashers, so I enjoyed this, but wouldn’t call it a classic.

I couldn’t believe I liked this as much as I did, very easy to follow, haha.

White Heat - 5/5

may buy this on dvd, as the print I saw wasn’t the best, but can recommend it to die hard slasher fans.

This wasn’t bad, a little long for a slasher.

It’s out on blu-ray from Synapse I believe.

A Better Tomorrow II (1990, John Woo)

The first sequel to the trendsetting A Better Tomorrow by the same director (John Woo) and producer (Tsui Hark). Tse-Ho, the criminal brother from the first movie, is offered parole but - in return - asked to infiltrate the gang of his former mentor Lung. He refuses but then discovers that his younger brother Tse-Kit, a police officer, is working undercover on the same case. The two decide to work together, but then Lung is dethroned by his sadistic right-hand man Ko, who asks Ho to execute Kit …

Woo and Hark co-wrote the script, but allegedly had several disagreements. Hark wanted to focus more on the Lung character, Woo wanted to stay with the brothers. And then there’s Chow Yun-fat, whose character Mark was killed in the first movie. He returns as his own twin brother, so to speak: In this movie he’s called Ken, not Mark, but Ken he has exactly the same abilities and coolness as Mark. Sounds fine, but this sequel suffers from a meandering script plus a few glaring inconsistencies, like Kit recovering within a couple of days from two large bullet holes that almost killed him. The over-the-top action scenes are still breathtaking though, notably the grand finale, with the attack in Wild Bunch style on the villain’s lair.

2 Likes

Recommended to any 80s slasher fan.

Live performance of a Rod Serling teleplay; Forbidden Area. Starring Vincent Price and Charlton Heston, as a one-eyed Air Force Colonel on the trail of a saboteur. They belong to a secret military think-tank, known only by the warning-sign on their door.

Tab Hunter is the Russian explosives-expert, sabotaging bombers amidst the threat of a submarine attack on Christmas Eve.

The film’s beginning is vintage Serling. Hunter and another man are tavern-patrons, talking innocently about baseball with the barkeeper. The barkeeper turns deadly sinister as the man wrongly answers a simple baseball trivia-question. -Which Hunter answers correctly and is allowed to leave the tavern. The barkeeper stops talking and begins communicating in violent finger-snaps, as the man struggles with baseball-trivia. Then he viciously slaps the man as a voice booms from a loudspeaker, the man is designated for execution, and we learn it’s all part of a Soviet spy-training exercise. From Playhouse 90 in 1956, 9-out-of-10.

Kicked ass!

DRIVE (2011) - My second viewing, and damn it’s good!

1 Like

A Better Tomorrow 3: Love and Death in Saigon (1990)

The third and final installment in the Tomorrow franchise, not directed by John Woo (but instead by Tsui Hark, the producer and co-author of the first two movies.

Tomorrow 3 is a prequel, not a sequel, telling us how a young man from Hong Kong, Mark Lee (Chow Yun-fat), became the coolest gunman East of No Name, North of Mad Max. A young Mark travels to Saigon in order to pick up his uncle and cousin and bring them back to the safety of Hong Kong, but the uncle is unwilling to leave the country and Mark and his cousin both get involved - romantically and otherwise - with a beautiful female gun runner and her jealous former lover …

This third entry is not bad, it’s actually a very decent action movie, but I had the idea that it would’ve worked better as an independent movie. Tsui Hark’s action scenes are excessively bloody, but lack the energy and hypnotic elegance of Woo’s blood ballets. Biggest drawback: the film is set during the final stages of the Vietnam conflict and we get a few tanks and soldiers, but the war is only used as a distant background and the idea of a country torn apart by ideological hostilities and the violence of war is never transmitted. The over-reliance on slow motion and neo-noir style of arty-farty cinematography give the movie a strange formal look.

2 Likes

After few years a rewatch of all four matrix installments. I was curious how the movies stand up after years.

Matrix
Well, what can I say. This was love on first sight and it is still one of my favorite movies. 100%.

“Dodge this.”

Matrix Reloaded

Quite different and controverting the first movie in one of its quintessential themes. Kind of sad, but still fascinating. Use of CGI in Burlyman Brawl scene and the car chase wasn’t very good idea, luckily, it’s only few seconds. 90%.

My favorite action piece in the movie. I just love when Neo says: “I’ll handle them.”, and Merovingian spits out: “You handle us?!” Priceless :grin:

Matrix Revolutions
I must say, I’m not that eager about whole battling segment in Zion (Mecha vs. Squids). I would imagine it more in A Second renessaince Part 2 fashion. And deadly serious tone/mood of the movie somehow doesn’t help either. But… it’s still pretty interesting. 80%.

Good old Gyrocaptain from Road Warrior.

Animatrix
Favorite bits are Second Rennaisance and Detective Story. Also Matriculated is amazing. 80%.

Trinity in Detective story

Finally got a blu ray copy and was still blown away!

A thrilling ghost tale!

Look at this cast, look at the special effects, listein to the soundtrack!! glad to have this on blu ray!