The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Amen to that ! … ‘The Green Berets’ is truly :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Agreed. A film that influenced the finale of Enter the Dragon should be especially noteworthy. Oh and Welles’ Irish accent is almost as infectious as Coburn’s.

2 Likes

I finally watched Hell’s Angels (1930) tonight and damn when classic pre-code Hollywood films cook, they really COOK! I MEAN HOLY CRAP this was made in 1930! HOW JUST HOW? HOW DID THEY MANAGE TO MAKE THE AERIAL COMBAT IN THIS LOOK SO DAMN GOOD?!??!

I also got to say I found the story-line and characters in this way better done then I was expecting going into it and for a 1930 movie that is a little over 2 hours I was never bored watching it!

To be sure its got some ear marks of a silent film transitioning into a early sound film at points of its run time but it largely over comes those hurtles with flying colors!

Howard Hughes you absolute mad man! I also want to shout out to this film also being one of the first credits for future Frankenstein director James Whale!

Pure cinema!

2 Likes

Have you checked out his ‘English’ accent in ‘Ferry to Hong Kong’ ??? … Now we know where DVD learned his ‘mockney’ for ‘Mary Poppins’

:wink:

1 Like

Fantastically entertaining film, and the others you mention are also very good …

I too have been watching some dark Dansk comedy lately … and one I’d recommend highly to those who enjoyed ‘Riders of Justice’ etc … not the same director, but with many regulars from the cast … (it’s a bit like spotting SW regulars from Indio’s gang etc.)

Original title: Smukke mennesker , which means ‘Beautiful People’, so I don’t know why the title was changed for the English speaking world. Anyway, it’s sweet, sad, hilarious and brilliant … so don’t hesitate to see it if you get the opportunity. My film of the year

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Been on a Brian DePalma kick lately after realizing that I was familiar with only a handful of his movies. Watched the following over the past few weeks:

Sisters
Obsession
Carrie (Rewatch)
The Fury
Dressed to Kill
Blow Out

Was pleasantly surprised by how good Sisters, Obsession, and Blow Out were. And Carrie holds up very well. The weakest to me were Dressed to Kill and The Fury.

3 Likes

I remember seeing Dressed to Kill in the theater and also remember being completely unimpressed. I’ve never understood some people’s fascination with that one.

4 Likes

Very weak compared to the others … ‘The Fury’ in particular is shite.

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s got too much “Psycho” twist rehashing and is devoid of any new surprises. I expected more based on its reputation.

1 Like

Sadly true. A couple good gruesome effects moments, but the plot and characters were way too melodramatic.

1 Like

Dressed to Kill is my favourite de Palma film by some distance. :slight_smile:

Weirdo !

:wink:

Hm, should I plead guilty to that charge…? :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

Dressed to Kill is one of his best, it has a strange hypnotic atmosphere created by his directing.

‘SATURDAY NIGHT IS HORROR NIGHT…’ :scream: :man_vampire: :man_zombie:

A triple-bill of terror…

3 Likes
  1. Melville: Un flic (cinema) 6/10
  2. Payet & Franco: Golden Temple Amazons 3/10
  3. Brooks: Young Frankenstein 10/10
  4. Leone: Once Upon a Time in a West 10/10
  5. D’amato: Death Smiles at Murderer 8/10
  6. Tarantino: Hateful Eight 8/10
  7. Kotcheff: Wake in Fright 10/10
  8. Hamaguchi: Drive My Car 6/10
  9. Barantini: Boiling Point 6/10
  10. Pat Garret & Billy the Kid 9/10
5 Likes

That one blew me away. What a glorious nightmare. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A highly underrated film imho.

2 Likes

‘SATURDAY NIGHT IS HORROR NIGHT…’ :scream: :man_vampire: :man_zombie:

This week: Blood-suckers, deranged spectres, and killer dolls on the rampage…

3 Likes

Pancho Villa with Telly Savalas

4 Likes