The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Me? Never.

1 Like

Completely derivative, yet quite entertaining and visually pretty good. Typical B-movie, but with a good cast, IMHO, and a considerable budget. And as a super bonus there is also Lovecraft’s Cthulhu. Yippee!

Stan & Ollie (re-watch)
Movie about the last tour of Laurel and Hardy. Good acting, good story and therewith a very nice movie. Like to visit this movie more often and made me look up some more information of the couple.

3 Likes

Last 10

1. Valerii: Day of Anger 7/10
  2. Lynch: Eraserhead 10/10
  3. Franco: Shining Sex 7/10
  4. Donen & Kelly: Singing in the Rain 8/10
  5. Hedman: In the Sign of the Lion 5/10
  6. Pasolini: The Gospel According to St. Matthew 8/10
  7. Margheriti: Web of the Spider 6/10
  8. Kotcheff: Wake in Fright 10/10
  9. Reisz: Morgan – A Suitable Case for Treatment 6/10
  10. Kokkonen: Pikkupojat 3/10

A wonderful film, I liked it very much when I saw it in the cinema last year. The two main actors, Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly, give amazing performances (I also found Reilly excellent in the Western The Sisters Brothers). As a kid I was a big fan of Laurel and Hardy, and to a certain extent I still am (kid and fan). Their Way Out West certainly had a not insignificant influence on the TrinitĂ  and Bambino films.

3 Likes

Pickup on South Street (Fuller, 1953) - 4.5/5

Fantastic noir which was the main inspiration for one of my favourite films: Pickpocket (Bresson, 1959).

1 Like

This one took a couple of days via interruptions, but I managed to watch Umberto Lenzi’s great twist filled Giallo Orgasmo starring the lovely actress Carroll Baker. I totally did not expect that double twist ending, what a stroke of inspiration from Lenzi and his co writer Ugo Moretti! :open_mouth: I’m still thinking about how they did it subtly. **** 1/2 out of *****.

The US X Rated cut, though I think I would say its R Rated by today’s standards, can’t compare with the uncut Italian language version.

1 Like

Interesting! I only know Lenzi from poliziotteschi films.

1 Like

I highly recommend giving his Gialli a look at, especially his 4 with Miss Baker. You won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

Spasmo by Lenzi is one of my favorite gialli.

I have looked up Carroll Baker on Google (probably wrong choice of words) she had a fruitful partnership with Lenzi, good enough for a nice looking boxset! I might save it for Christmas. :christmas_tree::santa:

Nice to hear you say that. Most people will say one of Argento’s films are their favourite Giallo movie.

1 Like

Not THE favorite but one of them.

Sorry. I don’t have one because I have only seen a few Giallo.

’The Birds’ (1963.
After ‘Psycho’ (1960), ‘The Birds’ is my second favourite Hitchcock film…it still looks great for its age, and I remember it scaring the living daylights out of me when I was a kid.

3 Likes

Brilliant film. Have you seen the film THE GIRL with Sienna Miller and Toby Jones?

Yes, I saw it several years ago, and thought it was very good. Then again, Toby Jones is pretty good is most things. Until recently, I hadn’t realised that he is the son of actor, Freddie Jones, who passed away recently - another familiar, and very talented character actor.

1 Like

I have so many films with Freddie Jones in them. His most remarkable scene for me is in FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED where he plays the creature. He speaks to his wife from his former life. It is harrowing. Only lasts a few minutes but is brilliant acting.
He is good in KRULL too.

1 Like

He’s also particularly good as the bomber in ‘Juggernaut’, 1974, opposite Richard Harris; and as the psychiatrist, in ‘The Man Who Haunted Himself’.

Not seen juggernaut but is very good in MWHH.