The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

This week’s Tuesday film night was…

The Driver (Hill / 1978)

Don’t think I’d seen this since watching it in the cinema when it first came out and to be honest I didn’t think it was as good as I remembered it. The car chases are good but the characters are really one dimensional and the dialogue, despite being very sparse, is often a bit trite and pointless. I like Hill’s films on the whole and I also like Ryan O’Neal but somehow this all felt a bit empty. Some good moments and certainly not terrible but just not the mini classic I kind of remembered it as being.

2 Likes

I often have that with Hill’s movies. He has a good sense of style and so much flair for action moments, that you tend to overlook these shortcomings in characterizations and storytelling when you first watch his movies, but on a re-watch, these shortcomings become apparent.

Purely by coincidence, I’m in the middle of Southern Comfort, and I have similar feelings. The movie has great atmosphere, the actors are cool, but the characterizations seem to be written in shorthand

2 Likes

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) - 3.5/5.

Watched OUATIH also - the movie was about 2hr 40min and when it ended I thought about 1.5 hours had gone by - I guess I enjoyed it then🤠

Yeah, definitely one of Tarantinos better ones 9/10.

THOROUGHBREDS (2018, Corey Finley) :star::star::star:

An independent production that was picked up by a major studio after it had generated some raving comments at the Sundance Film Festival. It tells the story of two girls who rekindle their friendship after a couple of years of separation, and then develop a plan to get rid of one of the girl’s oppressive stepfather. The tongue-in-cheek approach never really pays off and the film is not as grim, funny and incisive as it thinks it is, but Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy are among the most talented and attractive young actresses around (especially Cooke is very good here) and they are almost believable as the two destructive friends. Worth a look, in spite of its flaws.

THE BATTLE OF ROGUE RIVER (1953, William Castle) :star:

An Indians versus Cavalry western with a familiar premise: unscrupulous businessmen try to frustrate the peace negotiations between the red and the white men, risking a war. I like a good old-fashioned Injuns western from time to time, even if it’s a bit stupid, but this one is weak in nearly every department. The good cast is wasted

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1964, Lewis Gilbert) :star::star::star:

When I first saw it, as a teenager, it hit me like a storm, when I re-watched it some twenty years later, it felt more like a mild breeze, and that’s probably still the way to describe it: this is an undistinguished, but easygoing Bond. Most of it is routine (a fistfight, a girl, another fistfight, another girl, a chase, a set, girl, and so forth) but it passes the time smoothly. Some of the special effects are of Thunderbirds quality and the script (by no other than Roald Dahl) is almost laughably stupid, but the nice Japanese locations, Ken Adam’s tremendous sets and especially Little Nellie save it

SOUTHERN COMFORT (1981, Walter Hill) :star::star::star:½

A group of National Guardists is targeted by the locals in the Louisiana bayous after stealing two canoes. In my mind this was one of the director’s best movies, probably only second to The Warriors. I still think it’s quite good, but it’s not without shortcomings. For a Walter Hill movie, it is rather restrained, with the emphasis on menace and atmosphere rather than action. The Deliverance type of premise and the great cinematography turn it into a good suspense yarn, but - as more often with this director - characterizations are superficial and most of the dialogue is rather simplistic. Best part is the finale, set within a Cajun village

JUNGLE (2017, Greg McLean) :star::star::star:½

Again a survival movie, but this one was based on facts: Daniel Radcliffe plays Yossi Ghinsberg, an Israeli adventurer who undertook a survival trip in the Amazone forest, along with two guys he knew from earlier adventures, and a mysterious stranger who says he has information about some undiscovered places and a hidden tribe, living deep into the forest. Of course things go terribly wrong. Radcliffe finally manages to shake off his Harry Potter image with a bravura performance. The drug induced hallucinations and flashbacks slow the movie down, and the narrative occasionally verges on melodrama, especially in the second half, but overall this is a good survival movie, eerie, intense and occasionally quite gruesome

4 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: James Bond

Once Upon A Time In A Hollywood - I would say I belong into the target audience of this movie and as such I enjoyed it wholehearteadly. I can imagine though all those people departing theatres saying “what the fuck was that all about?”. Can’t blame them really. But I guess lot of folks have at least some awareness about Manson. Certainly more than about spaghetti westerns. Plus, you could easily cut some material out without doing much harm to the movie. I wasn’t actually expecting such a turn in Quentin’s favor after Death Proof, Inglorious Bastards and Django. Not bad movies, but in all three examples I was always displeasured with something. So, my personal QT movie list looks like this now:

1. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
  2. H8
  3. Pulp Fiction
  4. Kill Bill
  5. Reservoir Dogs
  6. Django
  7. Inglorious Basterds
  8. Death Proof
  9. Jackie Brown

Way of the Dragon - Bruce Lee

Whatever appeal it might have had in the 70s, it has none today for me. Cheap in every respect this is a boring mess. Even the sped up fight scenes don’t work. 1/10

Is that the movie set in Rome, with the fight (with Norris) in the Coliseum?
If so, that is indeed a boring, amateurish mesh.

I found the Japanese theatrical release of Way of the Dragon a lot better because it was enhanced by a groovy 1970s soundtrack. Shout factory provided this audio option as an extra and now I can’t watch the film any other way.

Yep.
Best acting by far comes from a cat. Alas, little kitten appears only in one scene …

Now it is just a movie for martial artists who want to see Norris/Lee fight and have good time watching how silly it is.

Well, yes, why not?
I know that others like this Bruce Lee stuff, and having fun with a film is the only real important thing anyway.

I like The Way of the Dragon, and I think it points to a lighter side to have come from Bruce. Maybe he’d have gone the full Jackie Chan route, in time.

Moonraker though… oh dear Jesus, but that’s a pile of auld f*ckbum, right there. Awful. :face_vomiting: They should’ve jettisoned Lewis Gilbert and Roger Moore into space for that one. Although, tbf, good old Rog pulled Bond back around immediately after with For Your Eyes Only (Glen, 1981), my favourite Bond flick from the Moore era.

I rewatched the Bruce Lee movies a couple of years ago and in my opinion only Fist of Fury and The Big Boss are decent. I hated Way of the Dragon and thought Enter the Dragon was only average. Lee certainly had charisma, but I think it was his director in those two early movies, Lo Wei, who created a context in which he could show his qualities as a martial artist. Both movies tell a simple but serviceable story and apparently Lo Wei at least knew how to tell such a story. In Way of the Dragon Lee shows above all that he did not have any idea how to do this.

I know Lo Wei made a martial arts movie with Jackie Chan, I have a copy if i’m not mistaken, but haven’t watched it yet. Would be interesting to know what he made of it. Bruce Lee in a Jackie Chan mood is a nightmare, if you ask me, but Jackie Chan in a Bruce Lee mood (as far as I know the Wei/Chan movie is not a comedy)? Well, it could work.

Blues Brothers - Starts with a great scene, in which John Belushi is released from a prison. Although I’m in no way blues aficionado, I enjoyed this comedy with the stoic duo Aykroyd/Belushi. Plenty of memorable scenes, which I already want to watch again, plus some deaf parts.

Miami Blues - Alec Baldwin plays a crook released from prison and he even didn’t depart from an airport and he already kills a person, albeit accidentally. Fred Ward plays a cop who is after him and is a bit of a loser with a dental prosthesis. I was intrigued in the beginning, but somewhere in the middle came realization this is going nowhere. If watched, just for the naked Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Blues Brothers 2000 - Dan Aykroyd aka Elwood is released from a prison. No shit. But his partner Jake played by John Belushi in the original doesn’t pick him up in a new bluesmobile, because he is dead, both fictionally and in real. Great start, but almost all aspects I enjoyed previously are toned down or missing. Great ending in the original is replaced with pretty boring singing contest with lot of blues singers I don’t really care about.

Biloxi Blues - Surprisingly, no one is released from a prison in this one. I watched only half of it, then turned it off, because I don’t find the theme very interesting - Matthew Broderick enlists and as is usual with this type of movies soon enough he has sergeant (or whatever) Christopher Walken and other comrades up his ass.

Watched this at the cinema, on a double bill with ‘Animal House’ in the early 80s.

‘The Blues Brothers’, at that point in history was known as a very expensive flop, which had been panned by many critics - It was better than I expected, and much better than the unfunny and ultra obnoxious, ‘Animal House’, which was a hit !? ( I take back what I said earlier about low IQs for 70s cinema goers)

Strangely though, as the Blues Brothers became popular over the decades, due to the film’s soundtrack getting more exposure, plus TV screenings etc, I found it less and less likable each time I’ve seen it. It feels like you, as a viewer have walked in on someone’s private club, and you don’t get the joke … if there ever was one to begin with.

Certainly there’s some uplifting music and dance scenes, but the ‘comedy’ and intended humour of multiple car crashes, really is pretty thin. I don’t get the Belushi phenomenon at all. My 2cents :wink:

2 Likes

I watched it after many years remembering almost nothing, with a suspicion I didn’t get it first time as a teenager anyway (I thought it was mediocre comedy back then).

Well, I liked the comedy element mostly, but I agree I could do without car crashes, although I definitely love what Aykroyd and Belushi are doing during the two big chases. Nothing. They just sit in a car driving with a tail of cop cars behind them. No shouting, no cursing, just their cool relaxed approach. Found that very amusing.
On the other hand, not much of that was present in the sequel’s chase which is basically reduced to just one big super crash with probably hundred vehicles demolished. When it began I thought this is stupid but as it progressed it became so ridiculous I started to laugh.

Tomas enjoying a stack of blue movies, there. I haven’t done that for a while. I chafed myself quite badly last time I did. Ruined the curtains, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Agreed 100%, and tbh aldo you might be the first person I’ve come across who didn’t adore this load of auld tosswank, other than myself. I find John Belushi about as funny as pushing my cock into a red hot toaster, and I don’t “get” this movie at all. None of it. It’s the much-loved movie I probably dislike more than any other much-loved movie (well, either this or Withnail & I).

1 Like