The Last Film You Saw in the Cinema?

Yeah, it’s not a complete trainwreck and I think the average moviegoer will enjoy it. But it’s in no way going to become a classic.

1 Like

I don’t expect a classic when I go to the cinema. I really enjoy The Flash by the way. Been thinking about watching that Indy flick. Not much nostalgia for me, so I don’t know what I’ll get.

1 Like

Personally I really disliked it. Say what you want about Crystal Skulls, but it respected the character of Indy, while the new one insults him. Of course, that’s just my opinion.

Going to see Indy on Friday - as long as there is some good action and a few corny lines and as long as it is better than the crystal skulls, then I might stay for the 2.5 hours🤠

3 Likes

saw M:I this past weekend. It was alright, but I thought it lacked depth, emotion and anything making it a real story other than just a series of really breathtaking action sequences

3 Likes

Saw that new Mission Impossible movie too. Got some Detective Conan vibes. Hope that Barbie movie is worth a watch. That is a lot of hype.

Oppy was pretty good in 70mm I have to say… don’t wanna go too much into the film, still processing, but definitely an astonishing theatrical experience

4 Likes

I agree with you. Although it wasn’t IMAX, seeing it in 70mm was great.

Saw Solaris and The Blues Brothers on the big screen yesterday.

Solaris felt like a form of torture. But Blues Brother was honestly one of the best films I’ve ever seen. Ever. I was just constantly gobsmacked at how many jokes landed and just how genuinely great all the musical numbers and actions sequences are. The massive police chase at the end was f***ing fantastic. Once it finished I honestly wanted to jump out of my seat and scream from how much fun I had.

Seeing Once Upon a Time in the West later today. My first big screen spaghetti!

8 Likes

Well, John Lee Hooker and Big Walter Horton playing live together on Maxwell Street can’t be beat by any music video, can it? Yes it’s a great film albeit maybe not chiefly for its emotional depth or advanced plot.

And enjoy watching what might be the best achievement ever made in filmmaking!

1 Like

You are in for a very special treat, Max. Enjoy… :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, wish I could see that one on the big screen! Is it a DCP?

I think Max may still be recovering today from the experience of seeing ‘OUATITW’ on the big screen. :laughing:

1 Like

Haha yes, very much so. Was lovely seeing it on the big screen. Morricone’s score in a theatre just sounds gorgeous. Very good turnout too!

5 Likes

So glad that you enjoyed it, amigo. :+1:

Leone and Morricone were always meant to be savoured as a fine red wine, or Cerveza, (Manchego cheese, some Spanish serrano slices, and a bowl green olives) upon the largest Silver Screen possible. :wine_glass:

Did you manage to speak to any other members of the audience about their thoughts re: this master-piece? - or, even better - encourage anyone to join the ‘SWDB’? :wink:

I remember seeing it at the NFT, London, in May 2000. Prior to the screening, Alex Cox interviewed Sir Christopher Frayling (author of ‘Something to do with Death’).
It was a fun occasion, and part of a Sergio Leone season of films…I’m sure other ‘SWDB’ members must have been there…?
Just a shame that the screenings of ‘Fistful’, and ‘GBU’, in 2000, were the censored versions…

A memorable event at the time, nonetheless. Great to meet Sir Chris, and Alex Cox, as well…

3 Likes

Didn’t speak to any other folks in the cinema but I did hear a few murmurs as we were all exiting - lots saying how much they enhoyed it.

I went to see it with 2 amigos but neither of them really enjoyed it sadly. Both of them said it was kind of boring (and too long), they thought the characters were just meh and weren’t really invested in any of them, and they said they were confused for most of it (they didn’t really understand who a lot of the characters were or why they were doing what they were doing. They did love the score though so at least there’s that.

I did explain to them afterwards what different parts meant and explained a bit of context behind Italian Westerns and the whole ‘there’s not really any good guys, just anti-heroes’ bit. I did explain why so many consider it a masterpiece but I don’t want to be that dick who tries to force someone to love something that they love so I just agreed to disagree with them :joy:.

I said to them that I think they would have enjoyed it if it hadn’t been their first proper Western. Neither had really seen an American or Italian Western before so I think if they had seen a few of Fonda’s big American ones and maybe the dollar trilogy they might’ve gotten more out of it. But anyway, I enjoyed myself and that’s what’s important :rofl:.

4 Likes

Very true, amigo.

Some people ‘dig it, and others don’t’…their loss, unfortunately. :wink:

2 Likes

Just saw Four Flies on Grey Velvet on the big screen. Really love how Bud Spencer is introduced. The ending hit really hard this time. Respect the phenomenal performance by Mimsy Farmer.

6 Likes

I saw Oppenheimer in late August. I took a few issues with the writing at some points–both technically and thematically–but the acting and effects were excellent, and it was interesting to learn some of that history so glad I went!

4 Likes

The Blues Brothers is one of my all-time favorite movies :sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes