The Last Film You Saw in the Cinema?

REMEMBER (2015)

The latest movie by Canadian director Atom Egoyan. It tells the story of two old men, Zev (played by 86-year old Christopher Plummer) and Max (played by 87-years old Martin Landau), who are the last survivors of Auschwitz. Max is living in a wheelchair but his memories are still intact, Zev has dementia, but is still steady on his legs. Max has discovered that the man who has killed their families, a Nazi called Otto Wallisch, has escaped justice in the last days of the war by adopting the identity of one of his Jewish victims, Rudy Kurlander. Max has located four Kurlanders, but hasnā€™t been able to find out which one is Wallisch: he therefore asks Zev to use his notes and track down the murderer.

A geriatic revenge movie, you donā€™t see that very often, and watching Remember is an often unsettling affair that has - predictably - generated some conflicting comments. Critics unanimously praised Plummerā€™s performance, but Egoyan was criticized for using the Holocaust background and a MEMENTO-like plot (like the protagonist in that movie, Plummer must continually consult his notes to know who he is and what heā€™s doing) to tell a rather straightforward suspense story about a subject that needed a more subtle approach. The thriller genre doesnā€™t leave much room for contemplation and Egoyamā€™s trademark reflections on the fallibility of memory and perception are largely absent here. Remember is tremendously suspenseful and offers unexpected plot twists until the very last minutes, but in the end it may feel a little mechanical and superficial.

Toni Erdmann - Maren Ade

Film about a father named Winfried Conradi who wants to improve the life of his corporate consultant daughter by meeting her and her private and business relations as an ugly alter ego named Toni Erdmann. After a while Ines begins to accept him in his Toni role disturbing her cold world.
Complex film about a complex relation in a more puzzling than complex world. Adeā€™s very serious film is pretty funny. 9/10

The trailer was shown in the cinema where I watched REMEMBER. Film will be screened within two weeks, on tuesday night (non-blockbuster night in Turnhout). My first reaction was ā€¦ No, not for me. I might reconsider.

Victoria (2015)

Shot in one, almost 140 minutes long shot (succeeded in third attempt), Victoria was on of the talked-about movies of the last year. Actors do very fine job in this real-time environment and character of Victoria is interesting (her illogical actions can be attributed to her troubled personality which is nicely established by few key scenes in the movie). But in the end, everything in this movie seems to serve that main gimmick.

For the first time on the big screen, this one:

It was this new remastered version at one of Zagrebā€™s last non-multiplex theaters. It seats around 1000. It was packed.

1 Like

Saw it on the big screen last week at my neighborhood theater. Excellent, highly recommend. 4/5

1 Like

Donā€™t know yet if Iā€™m going to watch it in the theatre or wait for the DVD release.

I never really was a beatles fan (like them though), but theyā€™re of course a cultural phenomenon of the first order. Donā€™t think a rock ensemble will ever create a hype of the same order.

They were before my time actually. I havenā€™t been a fan at any point but I do enjoy the historical and cultural significance. The restored 30 min.footage from Shea Stadium in NY was entertaining and I donā€™t mean musically. I saw it with a friend who attended their performance in Portland in '65 and she had a great time and is seeing it again this weekend.

Last movie I saw at the theater was Dr. Strangelove, courtesy of TCM.

Are we gonna talk about this movie here or what? Everybody else seems to do be doing it :slight_smile:

(This topic has been on ice for while, wasnā€™t it?)

La La Land looks very promising, even if it seems to become an Oscar movie, which is mostly a sign for so, so films.

The last film I saw in a cinema, was ā€˜Alien vs. Predatorā€™, twelve years ago, in 2005. This was at a cinema, in Jersey.

Two weeks prior, Iā€™d attended an afternoon showing of ā€˜I, Robotā€™ (Will Smith), and had a great timeā€¦the cinema was almost empty, and I was able to sit at the back with a few home-made snacks, plus a bottle of wineā€¦brill!

The ā€˜Alien vs. Predatorā€™ was a different experienceā€¦
I sat at the back of the cinema, and ended up with three or four knob-heads sitting next to meā€¦the kind who like to loudly pass comment during the film, and also have their flippinā€™ mobiles going off every second of the day!
You know the kindā€¦the ones whose foreheads enter a room, before they do.
If I could have changed seats, and sat next to a human, rather than a degenerate Neanderthal, I would haveā€¦but the cinema was pretty much packedā€¦

It put me off ever going to the cinema again.

I rarely go to cinema these days:

• popcorn/crisps etc. - they used to sell popcorn, crisps and candy bars in the past in cinemas as well, but I canā€™t remember that people eating the stuff used to spoil the movie experience; today younger visitors not only seem to devore popcorn or crisps, but they also have a habit to talk while theyā€™re devoring. An awful sound.
  • cellphones - people canā€™t do without their cellphones these days, not even when theyā€™re watching a movie
  • sound - Iā€™m a bit hard of hearing, so youā€™d say Iā€™d be happy with strong sound systems, but when youā€™re HOH it hurts when sounds are too loud, and in most cinemas the sound level is far too high
  • multiplex - I donā€™t like those multiplex cinemas, they remind me of factories, and most of them show blockbusters most of the time; apart from westerns, I prefer French and italian cinema to the usual Hollywood stuff so I have to go to Antwerp or Brussels for ā€˜a cinema du quartierā€™ for a movie I really like

My average these days is one trip to cinema per month, I would be happy if it was per week rather than a month.

For me, no other movie experience can compare to cinema. When Iā€™m at the theater I easily get sucked in in the movie, at home it is much harder to accomplish.

And to me, all those complaints - popcorn, loud kids, cellphones - are not that hard to avoid. Every cinema is not a multiplex, and every movie is not Star Wars. When I saw Bone Tomahawk there were only four of us in the room. Just avoid blockbusters and weekends and you have pretty much eliminated most of those annoyances. But, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Very true. At the moment Iā€™m only going if itā€™s a Star Wars picture or a QT movie. I took my son to Rogue One and bought him a bag of Minstrels, and it came to Ā£19.75. Thatā€™s just ridiculous. But when I do go I usually go in the final week of the filmā€™s run, and on a weekday as you say. As a result, we shared the Rogue One cinema with no more than maybe 15 other people; that way, the exorbitant price was at least offset by a decent, comfortable viewing experience.

EDIT As Iā€™m writing this, my wife @MazzyStar has just taken out home insurance which will entitle us to 2-for-1 at the cinema for a year, so I might try to go to a few more in 2017.

Where I live, in Turnhout, Belgium (a town in the country) there is only a multiplex, and in Antwerp there is one _non-_multiplex cinema

I forgot to mention the price of the tickets. I went to cinema this Xmas with a nephew and a niece. Incredible what you pay for an afternoon out.

I rarely have these problems. Not in a Multiplex, and of course especially not in other theatres.

Only once in Frankfurt, but the mistake was that we sat in the second half, instead of the first third of the theatre. But that was a funny experience with a bunch of popcorn chewing schoolboys with pretty weak bladders .Their seat row looked after the film like a popcorn A-Bomb had been dropped.
If we had filmed it, it surely would have become a Youtube classic with a zillion clicks (and likes)

Well, than that is no place for cinephile like you to live.

Just kidding, off course that is the valid obstacle, along with high ticket prices (again, I donā€™t know how it is in Belgium, but here tickets for weekdays are almost half of the price of the weekend tickets).

And now, something that is completely not in the sign of our times: Last week, in my hometown of DrniÅ” a cinema was opened. DrniÅ” is a small town, town itself has population of 3000. It used to have a cinema (place of my first cinema experience), but it lost it (along with more than half of the population) 26 years ago.

I must admit this got me teary-eyed a bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes very good reasons, and the reasons I no longer attend the cinema.