The ´how is this dvd?' thread

(Bad Lieutenant) #1

Thought it would be handy to have a topic where one can ask questions about the quality of different releases. Between the lot of us, we probably have nearly all releases. This in order to prevent buying crap stuff without knowing :slight_smile:

I’ll kick off with this one, a Brazilian double feature with Blindman and For a Roof… I’m thinking of getting.

Anyone got it? If so, how is it?

Seller says:
Region 0 (ALL)
NTSC Color Letterbox
Total Time: 102 min
Sound: Dolby Digital
Audio: English
Subtitles: Portuguese

&

Region 0 (ALL)
NTSC Color
Total Time: 94 min

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #2

Good idea BL. Is this the Ocean pictures release?

(Sanjuro) #3

Based on the one Ocean Pictures DVD I bought - Os Violentos (The Mercenary) - I would advise against it, if there is the option of getting these films anywhere else. The picture was lacklustre (possible vhs-mastered) but the sound quality on the English dub was abysmal. However, the audio on the Portuguese dub sounded OK, which I guess is what the DVD manufacturer’s home market would opt for anyway. So if this one only has English audio, I guess it might have been given a better treatment. Who knows?

(ENNIOO) #4

The quality of Hate for Hate and Stranger in Sacremento from Ocean pictures are just from vhs masters aswell.

(scherpschutter) #5

I have their O Vingador Silencioso, it’s a rather poor release
Video quality is far from great, not anamorphic, a lot of print damage, faded colours
Audio (English) sounds very hollow, as if you’re watching the movie in a cathedral
I got this one for free, don’t think I’ll ever buy one of their releases

(El Topo) #6

A funny choice for the Blindman Brazilian title " Pray in the dark"

(Bad Lieutenant) #7

Thanks for the info. I have none of their releases myself. They did release a bunch. I reckoned it would be a gamble. I´m still after a decent Requiescant release for another example, but I doubt -judging from the reports- theirs is it.

(django live) #8

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:1, topic:2383”]Thought it would be handy to have a topic where one can ask questions about the quality of different releases. Between the lot of us, we probably have nearly all releases. This in order to prevent buying crap stuff without knowing :slight_smile:

I’ll kick off with this one, a Brazilian double feature with Blindman and For a Roof… I’m thinking of getting.

been thinking about buying that dvd

Seller says:
Region 0 (ALL)
NTSC Color Letterbox

&

Region 0 (ALL)
NTSC Color
Subtitles: Portuguese[/quote]

(django live) #9

thinking bout buying dvd from ebay myself!

(Stanton) #10

Rumours say that Requiescant will maybe be one of the next Koch releases. No fact, but there is hope.

(scherpschutter) #11

Would be great

Haven’t watched it yet (it’s the one I stay away from for the time being, just to be able to look forward to watching it)

(p.pereira) #12

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:1, topic:2383”]Thought it would be handy to have a topic where one can ask questions about the quality of different releases. Between the lot of us, we probably have nearly all releases. This in order to prevent buying crap stuff without knowing :slight_smile:

Seller says:
Region 0 (ALL)
NTSC Color Letterbox

&

Region 0 (ALL)
NTSC Color
Subtitles: Portuguese[/quote]

During the past year I’ve been receiving some feedback from the Brazilian fellows that follow my blog and the general idea I’ve got is: Ocean DVDs sucks! >:(

(Bad Lieutenant) #13

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I´m sure not to try any of their discs.

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #14

How is the KSM version of Gentleman Killer compared to wildeast?

(The Stranger) #15

In a German forum was to read that the KSM the wrong format and has a poorer image quality. In addition, a little cut (I think about 25 seconds) and has only German audio. The best image quality, the French Seven 7 is supposed to have.

And the KSM is out of print.

(Bad Lieutenant) #16

The other day I stumbled upon a screenshot comparison between the Wild East and the Ocean Pictures release of Requiescant. The Brazilian one looks just as good, so apparantly it’s not all bad. Will probably be buying it. Don’t ask for a link, don’t know where it was.

(chuck connors brother) #17

How is this one?

(Lonedrifter) #18

[quote=“chuck connors brother, post:17, topic:2383”]

How is this one?

It is non-anamorphic, but otherwise not too bad.[/quote]

(Yodlaf Peterson) #19

[quote=“Sanjuro, post:3, topic:2383”]I would advise against it, if there is the option of getting these films anywhere else. [/quote]Blindman - Germany of course is the best one
For a Roof… - Japan (not sure if it is still available though)

(Bad Lieutenant) #20

Anybody know the quality, cut/uncut status and audio options on these DSX releases?

• El Regreso de Shangai Joe
  • Dios los Cria, Yo los Mato
  • Los Cuatro de Fuerte Apache