The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

According to recent quotes the will be using a new restored material never shown before. I am still waiting for info on whether this is the CNC restoration or something else, but I think they have received lots of email (they will receive another one from me) and are interested in not screwing this up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It would be wonderful to have this on blu ray ( English friendly, uncut of course). Had a moment to re-watch this and I could recall nearly every scene. I have to say that one of my favorite sceneā€™s is the scene where Silence throws a match into Locoā€™s whiskey glass, ( then throws his cigar into it) which leads to an awesome fight sequence. Remarkable work here by Corbucci, but something I noticed the second time, is that Frank Wolffā€™s character has a bit of a ā€œhumorousā€ ,ā€œknow it allā€ kind of persona to him, and I was a bit annoyed by that. Usually my attention is on the gun fights, snowy landscapes, obviously Silence, who is a wonderful character, very original, and very dark, and of course I couldnā€™t take my eyes away from Vonetta McGee who is simply gorgeous, that I rarely noticed Frank Wolffā€™s role, but last night it seemed to me that he was sort of a"know it all" about laws and who can be hung and for what reason and so forth, and I donā€™t know, it almost seemed it was trying to be ā€œhumorousā€ about the whole thing. I also didnā€™t care for the scene where Wolfā€™s character is on the ā€œiceā€ ( while Kinski is shooting) as I found it suffered from poor editing, and looked sloppy, however I must say Corbucciā€™s Great Silence shineā€™s as bright as any of his other westerns. The combination of the wintery landscape, mute gunslinger ( who is dressed in an excellent costume and even displays a certain type of sadness and anger on his face for most of the film) and haunting musical score are worthy of a quality blu ray release.

1 Like

I know they have been flooded with emails, but I sent them another long email. I think they aware what is at stake releasing this movieā€¦

Hereā€™s a couple of screenshots that supposedly identify the actors in the film: The Amazing MEFI: Il Grande Silenzio

1 Like

If you guys manage to identify more actors, feel free to edit the IMDB page: Sign in with IMDb - IMDb

Interesting. Thanks for the link captain. I appreciate the screens to support his identifications and speculations (the ones with question marks).

1 Like

Is there any word on a possible blu-ray release of this? I know it was restored this year and I heard some chatter it was getting a new release on video.

yes scrolling up helps :slight_smile: and already listed in the SWDb

This could be interesting

This is fantastic news!!!

Thatā€™s exciting to hear. Iā€™m a longtime subscriber to FM. A few DVD releases may not have been of the highest picture quality but overall Iā€™ve been quite satisfied. Their blu-rays look great IMO. Looking forward to it.

Very heavy snowfall here right now. The only reason I leave the house is to listen to this soundtrack on my iPod while walking through the snow.

5 Likes

Thanks to the recent US theatrical run, this film finally has a score on Rotten Tomatoes (100% so far). They also finally changed the fucking poster, as they were using the Into Great Silence (2005) one for years.

3 Likes

My review (English) should be finished and published tonight or sometime tomorrow in time for the Bluray release date

Here it is, the English text of my review of The Great Silence and the US BluRay:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Great_Silence_BluRay_review

Already shipping, so get it!

1 Like

Mineā€™s just shipped :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, Iā€™m glad the video of Alex Cox is new and not just the old one from the DVD releases.

1 Like

A cornerstone in my collection , I absolutely love this movie , Carbucciā€™s masterpiece in my humble opinion . Happy ending aside

Just bought it! Looking forward to watching after reading the nice review! Thanks man!

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched mine twice already, once In Italian and once in English.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing it in Italian. Iā€™ve only ever watched the English dub that was on the Fantoma release so itā€™ll be interesting to see the little changes in character names and script.

Also hereā€™s some screen caps from the blu ray.

Looks like that fucking cheese cloth is still in the movie:

Sebastian, I just wanted to make sure, Cinematheque is the French company that did the 4k restoration correct? And both Film Movement and Cinematheque are utilizing the same film negatives right?

2 Likes