The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Had the pleasure of seing a 35mm copy of this at the cinemateque in Oslo, Norway yesterday on a big screen. The copy looked like it had been played like 5000 times, and probably has. The film had a double language-texting with german and french. I must say I loved it. We have a spaghetti-western festival here now, and in november and desember they will show a lot of SWs on the big screen.

You lucky dog retask! Iā€™d love to see a Spaghetti Western on the big screen.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to see that one in a cinema in Wiesbaden, Germany earlier this year, and to my amazement the print didnā€™t look like it played 5000 times. Didnā€™t look like new, but it was generally well kept. Very nice evening.

Saw it in Heidelberg Germany in a cinema. Print was okay, I heard the story with the problems in filming due to the cold weather. There were no scratches as you sometimes get in bad old copies, but the images look a bit out of focus. Great experience, though.

Just watched the ā€˜happy endingā€™ for the first time. I didnā€™t hate it. While I appreciate the unhappy original ending, I suppose I tend to gravitate more towards a happy medium of sorts, exemplified perhaps by ending such as Minnesota Clayā€™s where both the hero and villain(s) bite the dust. The original ending of The Great Silence was brilliant, but it definitely had me mopey and sad going to bed after watching it,! :smiley:

Yeah me too! The happy ending is retarded for sure, but I prefer happy endings.

I have a LOT of respect for unhappy endings, but yeahā€¦MAN was I depressed after watching poor Silence get gunned down! :frowning:

I love this one - easily one of the best SWs. My girlfriend and parents also watched it and all were shocked at the ending, which I was rather pleased about as Iā€™m certain all fully expected Silence to kill Loco in the end. All in all, extremely atmospheric and atypical - Iā€™m so glad I bought this on DVD a couple of years ago without having seen it, on the strength of reviews.

A word on the music - gorgeous! I have often played just the opening scenes with Silence on his horse struggling through the heavy snow accompanied by that wonderful score.

[quote=ā€œegrorian, post:268, topic:122ā€]I love this one - easily one of the best SWs. My girlfriend and parents also watched it and all were shocked at the ending, which I was rather pleased about as Iā€™m certain all fully expected Silence to kill Loco in the end. All in all, extremely atmospheric and atypical - Iā€™m so glad I bought this on DVD a couple of years ago without having seen it, on the strength of reviews.

A word on the music - gorgeous! I have often played just the opening scenes with Silence on his horse struggling through the heavy snow accompanied by that wonderful score. [/quote]

What DVD do you own, egrorian?

My The Great Silence DVD is the Eureka Video R2 release (with the red cover).

Yes, thatā€™s extremely beautiful.

I upgraded to the blue cover because itā€™s anamorphic and was pretty cheap. Itā€™s a real shame that the Blu-ray was cancelled!

the ending was very original, but i liked the ending from minesota clay more :smiley:

ueah, both films were quite original. But i think Corbucci had a tedency to show gunfighters with some disability

Definitelyā€¦but Iā€™m ok with that. :slight_smile: I dig the tragic aspects.

Dicfish has uploaded the alternate ending on Youtube:

This is now a version with Italian audio. I didnā€™t knew before that such a thing existed, and itā€™s dubbed existence proves that there was done more work with this ending than only shooting it, and that it probably really was considered to use it. Otherwise there was no need to dub the silent footage.

Now we need an Italian (or a sharpshooter) to dub for us the (hopefully silly) dialogues.

Love The Great Silence one of my all time favorites, the ending depressed me at first but thatā€™s just made me keep watching it itā€™s good to track and ponder how such tragic events played out.

Re Alternate Ending:

Terrible, truely terrible. I shudder to think that it was even considered to be released. Where did Frank Wollf come from? Where did Silence get his metal hand?

[quote=ā€œJohn Welles, post:278, topic:122ā€]Re Alternate Ending:

Terrible, truely terrible. I shudder to think that it was even considered to be released. Where did Frank Wollf come from? Where did Silence get his metal hand?[/quote]

I still hope that maybe Scherp makes a rough translation.

(We still havenā€™t any Italians as regular members)

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:279, topic:122ā€]I still hope that maybe Scherp makes a rough translation.

(We still havenā€™t any Italians as regular members)[/quote]

Did I miss something (been busy with the Karl May movies) ?