The Great Silence / Il grande silenzio (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Merged some stuff, unfortunately it brought it back up. Anywaysā€¦

Pre-order this magnificent upcoming edition of The Great Silence:

2 Likes

To be honest I donā€™t think Iā€™ll buy it. Iā€™ve bought this film 4 times already.

1 Like

I donā€™t quite get the buzz of excitement over this release ā€¦ nice packaging and a few meager extras doesnā€™t really do it for me these days.

1 Like

I never upgraded from the DVD, so Iā€™ve already preordered a copy from Eureka. Free international shipping too!

1 Like

three audio commentaries though, thatā€™s not meager I would say :wink:

Iā€™m sure there are plenty of people who are busting to hear those commentaries, :wink: great if thatā€™s your bag.
Iā€™ve never really been wowed by this movie ā€¦ and all the talk of it being a masterpiece actually wears me out. I think itā€™s a small film, that is well made, but itā€™s importance has been blown out of all proportion.
Itā€™s nice that itā€™s getting a UK release, but thatā€™s all ā€¦ nice.

2 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for the inventible 4K Criterion release of Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead.

1 Like

You should do the commentary track for this one - priceless! :wink:

1 Like

I am so old I remember this movie not even being available on a decent DVD. Up until a few years ago, no BluRay of THE GREAT SILENCE existed. Now you can choose from various. And theyā€™re almost all great (not sure about the Spanish gray market releases or the Japanese discs).
Puzzling: there is none in Italy.

Every fan should own it!

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Grande_silenzio,_Il/BluRay

2 Likes

Review for Eurekaā€™s release of The Great Silence:

2 Likes

My review is in the works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here it is

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Great_Silence_BluRay_review_(UK)

2 Likes

*No one, who is genuinely good, ever loses.
Yes, sometimes the bullies winā€¦but it is to their loss.
Silenzio died trying to do what was rightā€¦Cowards do what cowards doā€¦it doesnā€™t make it right.
Sometimes, (too often) good men have to die to save the World from MFā€™s.

Sergio Corbucci had the guts, and the balls, to tell life as it can be. No happy ending in sight, which is, sadly, often the case.
I donā€™t know about other people, but such endings just make me want to do what is right, in life; and to stand up to injustice, bullies, and wrong-doing.

Bad people donā€™t winā€¦it just postpones their date with Hell of their own making.

Enough of the preachingā€¦Happy Christmas.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to express my thoughts on this film. I think Iā€™ve said some of this earlier, but last night I laid awake with all this blowing around my head, so I thought I had to get it out of my head before It ruined my sleep habits.

So, this is held by many on this site as not only the greatest non-Leone SW, but one of the greatest movies ever made. And there are several fascinating things about it indeed.

The snow setting is wonderful. Just watching those majestic ā€œUtahā€ (Dolomites) landscapes with Morriconeā€™s score playing over would make the whole film worth paying for - and they made it without having to leave Italy. It is, overall, a very good-looking film; The costumes, the town of Snow Hill, even the Stagecoach, are all gorgeous. Apart from some occasional overacting minor roles - the actors in Silenceā€™s flashback come to mind - the actors are adept, particularly the four leads of course. The score is superb as always when Il Maestro is on the go, but I donā€™t think itā€™s one of his very, very best. Corbucciā€™s direction of action sequences is also great as always - the Saloon shootout in the middle of the film is the best.

So, whatā€™s the thing that brings it down for me? Well, to summarize it crudely, itā€™s the screenplay. The political allegory is not very subtle, and takes over the story too often. Silence represents Che Guevara/Malcolm X while the outlaws represent victims of American imperialism - good. Pollicut, Tigrero and his gang represent the capital and its guardians - evil. As a result, the loose morality which is a great part of why I like Spaghetti Westerns is taken away. It also creates some plot points that donā€™t feel entirely logical; If everyone had gotten the news of the governors plan to pardon the outlaws, then why does the bounty killers still pursue them? Why does Tigrero think he will be able collect the bounties after killing a lawman? (Ok, it can be argued that there was no witness to that, but I donā€™t think the authorities would be so stupid that they couldnā€™t put two and two together). Moreover, the characters are unable to become entirely rounded because they have to serve the message. Tigrero, despite being the villain, stands out as the most fleshed out character to me.

And thereā€™s of course the ending. I know 99% of everyone on the forum think itā€™s great, many even say itā€™s what makes the film great in the first place, but I have to disagree. And thatā€™s not chiefly because itā€™s depressing. To me, it can be boiled down to an inverted standard western ending, not very interesting in my opinion, and having every single non-villainous character killed felt almost Hamlet-esque. You might think that thatā€™s because ā€œCorbucci wanted to show what it really would have been likeā€ā€¦ Ok. Then how do you explain the mentioned logical issues I donā€™t get, and the whole character of Sheriff Burnett being almost like heā€™d stepped out of a comic book? If the whole movie was like how it really would have played out, the final showdown would never occur in the first place. At least as far as I understand. I could be wrong.

I also understand that the ending was a big part of the idea of the film to begin with, but as I said, I donā€™t think the political allegory is very well made in the first place. And itā€™s not a very constructive message either; ā€œInjustice is dominating the world. And you know what? Thereā€™s nothing to do about it!ā€ Furthermore, if the message is that evil, when powerful, cannot be touched, then why is Pollicut, the actual evil capitalist behind the injustices, killed off?

Many people have praised Corbucci for his ā€œbravenessā€ to tell the audience how unjust and shitty real life is (and like many similar cases, the conflicts on the issue with the producers further paints the picture of him as some kind of hero). Thing is, Iā€™m afraid the very vast majority of the worldā€™s population already know that. Too well. As a column I read once expressed; ā€œI donā€™t require films to pretend life is great. Feel free to take a cold snowball of reality and all itā€™s bleakness and push it down my spine. But as the credits roll, I want to feel some hope for humanity. Or I might as well watch the newsā€. (This doesnā€™t apply to all films of course, but doing a tragic ending just for the sake of being tragic is pointless in my opinion).

And I donā€™t find very brave response-wise either, because every single person on the planet except me seems to love such endings. Left is a ā€œshock valueā€ that does not impress me very much. But on the other hand, is the ending really as bleak as everybody says? The title card at the end strongly implies that Tigrero and his gang painted themselves into a corner through the massacre, and most likely ended up convicted in some way or another, but most people seem to overlook that, almost like they want the ending to be as hopeless as possible. Maybe most people like that grittiness, and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that, but Iā€™m generally not a very happy and optimistic person, so I try to see things more constructively (I apologize if that felt like please-feel-bad-for-me talk because it isnā€™t).

Sorry this turned out so long, but I felt I had to express all this. Iā€™m also sorry if it sounded like a rant, because I do like this film. The snow setting, the action sequences, the score and lead actors are all great, and I still think thereā€™s a good chance it will make it into my top 20 some time in the future (Iā€™m still working on my first list). But while I might be wrong, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever rank it quite as high as many other SW fans do.

8 Likes

Lol I so agree with this quote. Everyone definitely already knows the world can suck, and it seems to be a trend now more than ever that creators are pushed into ā€œbeing realā€ with their storiesā€¦ like life is just completely mellowā€¦ like success and contentment and happiness ainā€™t real things in lifeā€¦

Personally, I never thought that Corbucci was being brave when he kilt Silence off, I just thought it was different - at least for this genre - so I was honestly just surprised (I guess thatā€™s under the same token tho). While I like this movie, I think Iā€™ve said before that it can get preachy and melodramatic. And it can be very in-your-face with its messages, which can leave a bad taste. Donā€™t nobody wanna be preached to, lol.

I wonder if thereā€™s any movie besides The Big Gundown that can do what this movie tried to do a lil better :thinking:

3 Likes

This SW gives me by far the most pronounced feeling of seriousness and perceived reality, and probably the ending only underlines that, as well as the Morricone soundtrack and the impressive snowy mountain settingā€¦

The alternate happy ending on my DVD nowadays after several watchings seems more inappropriate logically reasoned, but I would have liked the film also with only the happy ending instead, maybe even more :wink:

3 Likes

Coming to the Criterion Channel

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format. Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

Same. Well made movie but with a lame screenplay. It feels so slow.

The bounty hunters are all murderers but Silence needs to shoot them in a self-defense for his good sleep or whateverā€¦