The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

When I make out a Top 20 list…it is never about “bests” it is about “favorites”. There is no denying that GBU is a classic film. It is just not one of my favorites.

This is the way i always think when compiling lists too! A film can be fantastic technically, but do very little for me in terms of enjoyment.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly has both qualities though…

Yes, of course! A Top 20 list is supposed to be about “favorites” indeed, not about the “bests” or “the greatest classical western films of all time!” Or else, all lists would look the same, and with no personality at all.

And by the way, I can’t stop watching GBU an infinite times.
I happen to cry once in a while watching the Trio standoff scene, given the magnificence and intensity of this marvelous conclusion.

10 out of 10 definitely.
:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Blacksheepboy, post:65, topic:307”]And by the way, I can’t stop watching GBU an infinite times.
I happen to cry once in a while watching the Trio standoff scene, given the magnificence and intensity of this marvelous conclusion.

10 out of 10 definitely.
:P[/quote]
I love this film, it is my second favourite after ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

Welcome to the forum BTW blacksheepboy :slight_smile:

I have a similar reaction to few scenes from Once upon a time in the west :wink:

GBU is a masterpiece. Yes, it has beautiful parts, not only humorous. The death of the drunken Captain sometimes makes me cry. It’s just so… :’(

Me too, specially the last duel scene between Harmonica and Frank. The flashbacks showing Harmonica’s brother being killed is AMAZING. Gives me chills all over the spine. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to agree with you guys on this. There are several sequences in ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST that get me choked-up!
Brilliant stuff!

Gosh, I guess I should modify my top 20 than! I chose my top 20 based on what I thought were the “most important” SW’s, not necessarily my favourite. Perhaps I should change it to reflect my personal tastes a bit more, in which case all 4 of the Sartana movies with Garko would probably make my top 10 hahaha.

And yes, I agree both the Frank vs. Harmonica duel and the 3 way duel in GBU are highly emotional scenes. Anybody who watches those scenes and doesn’t have a reaction to it simply has no soul.

I also have a similar reaction with the Chuchillo vs. Shep scene in the Big Gundown. Outstanding stuff.

[quote=“mrchallenge, post:71, topic:307”]Gosh, I guess I should modify my top 20 than! I chose my top 20 based on what I thought were the “most important” SW’s, not necessarily my favourite. Perhaps I should change it to reflect my personal tastes a bit more, in which case all 4 of the Sartana movies with Garko would probably make my top 10 hahaha.

And yes, I agree both the Frank vs. Harmonica duel and the 3 way duel in GBU are highly emotional scenes. Anybody who watches those scenes and doesn’t have a reaction to it simply has no soul.

I also have a similar reaction with the Chuchillo vs. Shep scene in the Big Gundown. Outstanding stuff.[/quote]

Man, that scene in the Big Gundown is AWESOME!

And yes!, you really should modify your list! A Top 20 List is supposed to be 100% personal.
What is the fun in having several lists looking almost the same??

If you love all 4 Sartanas, throw’em into your list!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Came across a MICKEY KNOX interview who played an important role in the English dubs to a couple of Leone films, including The Good,the Bad and The Ugly.

Thought it may be of interest to people who have not read before.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/classic/articles/knox.html

Hadn’t read this interview before and liked it alot. It contradicts with some stuff said in the Leone biography…

Somewhere else in this forum was said that William Shatner was Leone’s 1st choice for all 3 leads in GBU.

That’s wrong, of course!

Truth is that Shatner was asked by Leone to play ALL the Union soldiers in the scenes around the bridge near the end of GBU. But this had included playing the drunk officer, which was refused by Shatner who disliked the idea of playing an alcoholic.

So Aldo Giuffre took over for the about 500 (!) roles. Unfortunately after one day of shooting with Giuffre multiple attacking the bridge, it became clear that he wanted to be paid for every single role, which by any stretch of imagination wasn’t payable. So Giuffre was left with the drunk officer and the usual cheap extras of the spanish army came in for the rest. Even if this meant that the footage of one whole day had to be reshot.

Over the years it seemed that all the unused Giuffre material had gone lost, until recently when one millisecond was luckily found in the archives of the Aldo Giuffre foundation. Unfortunately it was too late to be included as bonus on the GBU Special Edition DVD.

So one of the greatest statements about the uniformity of war got lost by the shortsightedness of two actors.

And it could have changed the whole film history. It’s obvious that with this statement GBU would have been instantly regarded as one of the great film classics, so that Leone wouldn’t had all his doubts about his abilitys, which would had led him doubtless to a creative flow with many, many more great films (amongst them several more SW masterpieces) and a happy and healthier and much longer life.
Also all the trekkies would have become inevitably sooner or later great SW fans, so that we would have now a much wider audience for DVD releases, and all the great SW classics would have been released in beautiful 12 DVD Digi-packs.

Oh William Shatner, what have you done?

Sigh!!!

And it would have been great to see Shatner getting shot, blown up, bayonetted and hacked to death multiple times! His over-acting would have known no bounds let loose in all those roles!

Yeah, it’s a pity.

Imagine Shatner fluffing his lines doing Giuffres death scene - “Help me live long and prosper a little longer Bones… er, I mean Doc. Expect good news… from Starfleet Command…via sub -space transmission” ;D

Heh…seems that many of us “discovered” this film as children. In my case, my dad insisted that I watch it with him at the Crump Theater (in my hometown they had a old theater that would occasionally play older films). It was great to see it for the first time as it was released in 1966 (I first watched it in 1982). That one film made me a fan of all things Sergio, Clint, Van Cleef and Eli, and I fell in love with the SW genre.

Welcome to the forum