The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

which is your first favourite?

I think Peterson already answered the question before it was asked, on december 30 2006, and I agree with him, although I like his Polish cousin better.

If i remeber correctly Yodlafā€™s fave was ā€œOnce upon a time in the westā€, just like mine :slight_smile: This makes GBU my 2nd fave as well

Though I agree that GBU is a fabulous film with brilliant music, performances, and directionā€”it just isnā€™t anywhere near my favorite SW.
I rank FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE way above it, and I rank OUATITW above it, as well.
To be honest (and I know most folks think I am insane) I much prefer Corbucciā€™s THE MERCENARY and DJANGO (in its original Italian language version with English subtitles) to GBU. As some of you noticed, GBU is not even in my Top 20.
Sacrireligous, I know!! But, that is just how I feel about it. I used to think it was the greatest movie ever madeā€¦but, over the years its shine has faded for some reason. Maybe it has a lot to do with it being the most recognized SW on the face of the earthā€”and like a catchy pop song being played to death on the radio, it has suffered from over-saturation, or something. For me, it hasnā€™t held up to repeated viewings as well as FAFDM. I donā€™t knowā€¦all I know is that it isnā€™t my favorite example of the Italian Western genre.

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:44, topic:307ā€]Though I agree that GBU is a fabulous film with brilliant music, performances, and directionā€”it just isnā€™t anywhere near my favorite SW.
I rank FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE way above it, and I rank OUATITW above it, as well.
To be honest (and I know most folks think I am insane) I much prefer Corbucciā€™s THE MERCENARY and DJANGO (in its original Italian language version with English subtitles) to GBU. As some of you noticed, GBU is not even in my Top 20.
Sacrireligous, I know!! But, that is just how I feel about it. I used to think it was the greatest movie ever madeā€¦but, over the years its shine has faded for some reason. Maybe it has a lot to do with it being the most recognized SW on the face of the earthā€”and like a catchy pop song being played to death on the radio, it has suffered from over-saturation, or something. For me, it hasnā€™t held up to repeated viewings as well as FAFDM. I donā€™t knowā€¦all I know is that it isnā€™t my favorite example of the Italian Western genre.[/quote]

As I think I have said in the past, if we all liked the same film to the same degree all the time, things would be perhaps less interesting.

Yeah. But not even in the Chrisā€™s top 20 of best spaghetti westerns ever??? For me, itā€™s probably the best movie Iā€™ve ever seen. Only De Palmaā€™s Scarface competes in my book.

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:44, topic:307ā€]Though I agree that GBU is a fabulous film with brilliant music, performances, and directionā€”it just isnā€™t anywhere near my favorite SW.
Sacrireligous, I know!! But, that is just how I feel about it. I used to think it was the greatest movie ever madeā€¦but, over the years its shine has faded for some reason. Maybe it has a lot to do with it being the most recognized SW on the face of the earthā€”and like a catchy pop song being played to death on the radio, it has suffered from over-saturation, or something. For me, it hasnā€™t held up to repeated viewings as well as FAFDM. I donā€™t knowā€¦all I know is that it isnā€™t my favorite example of the Italian Western genre.[/quote]

Of course I respect your opinion, Chris. I even know the experience of a filmā€™s shine fading over the years. For me, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is still as great as when I saw it for the first time, but that is, of course, personal.

But have you seen GBU as often as For a few dollars more? I mean: the ENTIRE movie.
I noticed that FAFDM has become more and more popular among Leone fans (and arenā€™t we all?) in the course of the years. This could well be due to DVD - and the possibility to choose scenes. I watch my Leones at least once a year, but from time to time, late at night, I jump to a scene - and Iā€™ve noticed that for me FAFDM is the most popular Leone in this respect: the entire movie, the film as a whole, seems a bit overlong, with a narrative that is over-explicatory, but it does count a series of memorable, even unforgettable scenes (I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary to mention them).

Might jumping to scenes or watching the entire GBU more often than FAFDM have influenced your opinion?

!Hasta luego! (Yes, I know, the first one should be upside down)
Simon

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:47, topic:307ā€]Of course I respect your opinion, Chris. I even know the experience of a filmā€™s shine fading over the years. For me, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is still as great as when I saw it for the first time, but that is, of course, personal.

But have you seen GBU as often as For a few dollars more? I mean: the ENTIRE movie.
I noticed that FAFDM has become more and more popular among Leone fans (and arenā€™t we all?) in the course of the years. This could well be due to DVD - and the possibility to choose scenes. I watch my Leones at least once a year, but from time to time, late at night, I jump to a scene - and Iā€™ve noticed that for me FAFDM is the most popular Leone in this respect: the entire movie, the film as a whole, seems a bit overlong, with a narrative that is over-explicatory, but it does count a series of memorable, even unforgettable scenes (I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary to mention them).

Might jumping to scenes or watching the entire GBU more often than FAFDM have influenced your opinion?

!Hasta luego! (Yes, I know, the first one should be upside down)
Simon[/quote]

Hola, amigo!

I donā€™t like to watch individual scenes. If I am going to watch a film, I will watch the entire thing. I never skip around and just watch one part of a film. So, that has nothing at all to do with my opinion.

As I have stated in another thread of this forum, I have seen FAFDM more than 300 times (no exaggeration). So, no I have not seen GBU as many times as FAFDMā€”and I doubt that I ever will. That said, I believe I have seen GBU somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 times.

It isnā€™t that I donā€™t like GBU. It is just not one of my big-time favorites. It used to be, though. It is just that nowā€¦I find that there are plenty of other movies I would much rather sit down and revisit over this one. Like you say, it is a personal thing.
Several years ago, during the late 70ā€™s and into the 80ā€™sā€¦GBU was always high up in my top films list.
But, after seeing it so many times on TV, then VHS, then Laserdisc, and more recently on DVDā€¦and having every single SW fan in the world quoting and re-quoting the famous linesā€¦ and after hearing people do the famous musical motif from the main theme repeatedly every time the term Spaghetti Western is mentionedā€¦and so forthā€¦I just find that the movie doesnā€™t thrill me like it used to. FAFDM, on the other hand, I still find thrillingā€“even after seeing it more than 300 times.

A lot of people seem to take offense when I say GBU isnā€™t in my Top 20 favorite SWā€™s. I know it is a great movieā€¦I know that it is, easily, the most popular of all the Italian Westernsā€¦but, that doesnā€™t change how I feel about it. In fact, it could very well be that it being such a popular example of the genre worldwide has led me to form my oversaturation theory sub-consciously.
I still think my analogy of the overplayed pop song is very applicable here.
Nothing wrong with catchy pop songsā€¦and there is nothing wrong with GBUā€¦it is just that I have grown tired of holding it up as the be-all end-all of Italian Western films.

Like you sayā€¦it is just a personal thing.

And there is no rationalizing personal tastes. They just simply exist.

But if we look close to the Top 20 on this site, and to the amount of points the Leone SWs have got, compared to a film on position 20, most of us DO like the same SWs.

I think if we would vote about american westerns there would be named a much wider spectrum of different films.

[quote=ā€œstanton, post:49, topic:307ā€]But if we look close to the Top 20 on this site, and to the amount of points the Leone SWs have got, compared to a film on position 20, most of us DO like the same SWs.

I think if we would vote about american westerns there would be named a much wider spectrum of different films.[/quote]

Why not opening a thread for this election? Iā€™m new here, so I leave it to the more experienced guys (and dolls).
It would be quite interesting to know what American westerns typical SW fans like us prefer.
I should say that people give their top 5 (or so): we woumd get a good impression of the preferences.

Such a topic would be an interesting idea, but maybe we shall include all non-european westerns not just us westerns. I would feel my list without ā€œEl Topoā€ would be incomplete :wink:

I feel like we had this kind of discussion in the Once upon a time in the West topic, where someone told his/her dislike of the film. There was rage compared to the one in this topic.
I guess no one really argues about the quality of the movie, it is just how someone likes it overall, and the overplaying or overhyped argument plays into this too.
well a great one in my book.

I think youā€™re right. I just thought about The Proposition, an aussie western; we might have a problem with the definition of the term Spaghetti western. Paella is not Spaghetti, but is Requiem para el Gringo, mainly Spanish but backed by an italian studio, a paella or a spaghetti western? Itā€™s just an example of the problems we might face. Letā€™s think it over before we start anything.
And yes, El Topo is kinda special.

Yeah, but i was talking about this:

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:50, topic:307ā€]Why not opening a thread for this election? Iā€™m new here, so I leave it to the more experienced guys (and dolls).
It would be quite interesting to know what American westerns typical SW fans like us prefer.
I should say that people give their top 5 (or so): we woumd get a good impression of the preferences.[/quote]
I wouldnā€™t even consider putting those non-eurowesterns in database.

Hereā€™s old topic with membersā€™ favorite non-spaghetti westerns. No polls there though.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,90.0.html

I might sound crazy but as much as I love GBU, I like FFD and FFDM even more.

You donā€™t sound crazy to me. I also prefer FFD and FFDM to GBU, with FFDM being my overall favourite by a long shot. I just think it has a depth missing from the other two. :wink:

Hmmmā€¦just noticed the poll thing at the top of this thread, with the ā€œstupidosā€ comment next to the one star option. That aimed at anyone in particular ::slight_smile:

Yes, my fav aswell! (FFDM).

Precisely, amigo!!
As I have frequently said, my all-time favorite SW is FAFDM.