The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

What about the Socorro sequence, thatā€™s still missing because the negative was too damaged, isnā€™t that a shame and a feeling that something is missing from the film?

Maybe they will find a way to repair it in the future?

I have mixed feelings about the restored version. Some of the scenes are very good and essential to the story, especially the scene with Angel Eyes. But I did find the new dubbing and new soundtrack quite disturbing.

But the worst thing for me is the chicken scene. I thought the scene was just bad and out of place. This scene is not in the original Italian print either so they could have dropped it out and include it only as a dvd-extra.

I agree about that wretched chicken scene. You half expect Tuco to burst into song during it!

1 Like

I doubt youā€™ll get any disagreement about that bad chicken scene, the one instance I think where one of the restored scenes should not have been included.

One thing thatā€™s odd: I found the Lee Van Cleef impersonator to be less jarring that the new dubs by the elderly Eastwood and Wallach. The voices they added for the DVD leap out as being very different. It seems that DVDs with restored scenes which go into the Italian with subtitles work better. A couple of good examples are DJANGO KILL and the fan made Franco Cleef THE BIG GUNDOWN.

Any other restored scenes people object to or would have left out?

The only other one for me is I donā€™t think extending the beating of Tuco scene adds anything to the plot of the film. We already knew that Tuco was being getting a severe beating. The extra footage doesnā€™t HURT the movie, but it doesnā€™t add anything essential or new either.

http://blogs.tarantino.info/movies/

talked about it again on my movieblog :wink:

they probably should have used impersonators for eastwood and wallach also.

i think unless somebody tells you where it is, you donā€™t really notice where they re-dubbed any dialoge. i noticed some but that is me being a fan and watching it for the dunno-how-many timesā€¦ i meanā€¦ reallyā€¦

and on the footage: this is still not the completely original version. some stuff is forever lost. for my part, i welcome every bit of footage available, the longer the better

I donā€™t think so. Not the longer the better. Every scene has to be justified by the movie as a whole. If a scene, even if itā€™s beautiful shot, only repeats things already said, or does not work in the context, cut it out.

The grotto scene is in my opinion unnecessary, it only makes the film longer, and if a film goes on to long, he in the end loses quality. So it was great to see this scene, but in my opinion it should be DVD bonus material. Same goes for the Socorro sequence, if it sometimes surfaces. Eastwood in bed with a woman? Never!

The other scenes, which are mostly about the civil war, should be in the movie because they lay different layers of meanings to the themes of the film. They enrich the movie, and Leone always wanted them as part of the whole.

why would he not be in bed with a woman?? heā€™s not gay!
the only thing that would make me accept that shit as deleted scenes is a written statement by Leone himself that he didnā€™t want that in the filmā€¦ everything else is part of the film. period :wink:

But as I know these scenes were cut out very early out of the italian prints, and never restored unlike other scenes like Tuco bathing his feet in the desert.

It wonā€™t damage the film to include these scenes, but I think GBU works better without them.

There is one more scene which I would cut out for the same reasons. Itā€™s the one where Eastwood and van Cleef are resting and his henchmen arrive in the dawn. Besides mentioning some interesting calculating methods, there is nothing special in it. It also looks shitty because it was shot with a day by night filter in the blazing sun.

Itā€™s in the end a matter of tastes. Letā€™s ask Leone what he thinks about it.

I think the grotto chicken sequence is important for continuity, without it; where did tucos helper come from? SO bad quality but for me important to get that.
About the scene in bed. Well we donĀ“t really know if it was in any cut(or do we??). But there exist other scene with women in the other dollar films(at least in FAFDM)which is also cut out(according to special edition). I think it adds to mystery ofr the ā€œman with no nameā€. Women make men vulnerable.
and the longer the better is quite okay, GBU is allready masive, so a few minutes extra dont add too much in my eyes. Where is Sergio when you need to talk to him.

yeah where is he these days? havenā€™t seen him around in a while

Just noticed GBU is #5 on imdb top 250!

Yeah I know! ;D

keep voting for OUATITW as well!

Do we have a spiritual medium in the forum?

i couldnā€™t agree more :slight_smile:

But being with a woman is a weakness, I believe is the feeling.

This movie is so great that I feel itā€™s impossible for me to comprehend it. It exceeds the spaghetti western genre due to its high budget and everything. Obviously the most famous spaghetti western (and #4 on IMDb now!) and I would say the best.

As for the deleted scenes, I enjoy them. I donā€™t like reading subtitles, particularly when itā€™s Clint Eastwood or someone talking, I want to hear Clint Eastwood. Theyā€™re not perfect by any means, but thereā€™s no way of achieving that.

The Grotto sceneā€¦ Hmmā€¦ Yeah, probably shouldā€™ve been relegated to deleted scene. Itā€™s probably the biggest offender that makes people critical of the extended version.

My favorite spaghetti western, and one of the best movies Iā€™ve ever seen.
I never get tired of watching it.
Masterpiece! 5 stars.

[quote=ā€œBlacksheepboy, post:39, topic:307ā€]My favorite spaghetti western, and one of the best movies Iā€™ve ever seen.
I never get tired of watching it.
Masterpiece! 5 stars.[/quote]my second favourite :wink: