The Football Thread

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:100, topic:527”]Let’s hope Beckham does suceed in making the sport bigger in the U.S., they tried before having Pele and George Best playing.

On a funny note i noticed they were selling LA Galaxy shirts over here in the sports shops, i’ve never seen MLS shirts on sale over here before, Beckham turn up and there you go…

i wonder how many people over here will be seen wearing them then?[/quote]

My guess is they’ll be popular with women in and around LA. Probably not much interest in other parts of the country.

You’d look pretty gay wearing a Beckham jersey in the States.

I think Beckham will do a good job of raising the profile of the sport in the US but for it to really become engrained in the national culture there has to be home grown stars. It’s what the MLS and it’s previous encarnations has always suffered from is too many imported stars. They bring some quality to the level of football played but don’t excite the average american like a local boy would.

In my opinion the US could become a major power in football if they really wanted to. I remember seeing their under 17s team in the under 17s world cup in New Zealand a few years back and they reached the semi final and played some really good football. Most of those guys have gone on to be professionals in europe and in the MLS (Marcus Beasley, Bobby Convey etc) and showed the latent talent lying in wait.

[quote=“Phil H, post:102, topic:527”]I think Beckham will do a good job of raising the profile of the sport in the US but for it to really become engrained in the national culture there has to be home grown stars. It’s what the MLS and it’s previous encarnations has always suffered from is too many imported stars. They bring some quality to the level of football played but don’t excite the average american like a local boy would.

In my opinion the US could become a major power in football if they really wanted to. I remember seeing their under 17s team in the under 17s world cup in New Zealand a few years back and they reached the semi final and played some really good football. Most of those guys have gone on to be professionals in europe and in the MLS (Marcus Beasley, Bobby Convey etc) and showed the latent talent lying in wait.[/quote]
Well again there was an interesting article about the NASL(called opera league in the article) in the 60-70. The player with the best statistics was a guy called Chinaglia, he scored the most goals there. They say he was popular with the mafia, that supported the sport too. The article is interesting but only in german. They also mentioned some of the problems of the NASL:
Changes in gameplay: offside not after the midfield line but only two thirds into the half of the other team,

• focus on single player stats, like passes per game; thereby destroying the team idea behind the game
  • no extra(injury) time; the 90 minutes were counted backwards on a digital clock in the stadium
  • (this is the coolest) no draw was possible: after 90 minutes wihtout a winner a penalty shotout was performed:
    not the regular ones, players started from the midfield line and had 5 seconds to finish with a goal ;D ::slight_smile:

also the infrastructure was weak: they sometimes played on horrible astroturf. And people cheered when the ball was shoot over the crossbar(no idea if this is really true). Football was not played often i guess.

But I guess it has changed a bit. The immigrants from mexico have bigger connection to football(chivas usa(LA team, they call their derby against galaxy the superclasico,like the boca juniors vs. river plate game ::)) is also a team in mexico, of course there they are called only chivas)
And a lot of younger people know and like football, not only girls. I mean in women football the USA are really good.
And as mentioned the u17 to u 21 teams are also quite good. So those need to play in the MSL, not people like beckham or worse old guys that end their carreer there.
The problem is, if a player is good enough he will be bought and transferred to europe, that is also why they have a quality problem there.
We´ll see if the yanks discover their love for the best game in the world.

Well that is wrong everybody knows they did not win. that was never ever a goal >:( ;), and the goal after that was illegal since fans allready had stormed the field. besides that you are right. some quality in the NASL. It is kind of said i never saw beckenbauer play, so i only know him as the coach who talks some crazy stuff in bavarian accent. but he is and allways will be the Kaiser!!

Georgio Chinaglia. I remember him well. Italian striker and an attention/media hog. Wasn’t too keen on Pele and Franz taking the limelight from him, but yes, he probably was the leading scorer. Probably only because that’s how, as you’ve pointed out, the NASL played. Tons of crosses and feeds to the center, with Beckenbauer doing most of the feeding along with another great English player, Dennis Tueart. (sp?)

It is kind of said i never saw beckenbauer play, so i only know him as the coach who talks some crazy stuff in bavarian accent. but he is and allways will be the Kaiser!!

Yes, I agree. He was unbelievable in the field. He had an uncanny ability to always know just the right moment for the sweeper to move forward and push the attack. Watching him feed Gerd Müller at Bayern was a thing of beauty. Gerd, by the way, was a far better striker than Georgio. Perhaps the greatest in the history of the Bundesliga.

[quote=“Jack Burns, post:104, topic:527”]Georgio Chinaglia. I remember him well. Italian striker and an attention/media hog. Wasn’t too keen on Pele and Franz taking the limelight from him, but yes, he probably was the leading scorer. Probably only because that’s how, as you’ve pointed out, the NASL played. Tons of crosses and feeds to the center, with Beckenbauer doing most of the feeding along with another great English player, Dennis Tueart. (sp?)

Yes, I agree. He was unbelievable in the field. He had an uncanny ability to always know just the right moment for the sweeper to move forward and push the attack. Watching him feed Gerd Müller at Bayern was a thing of beauty. Gerd, by the way, was a far better striker than Georgio. Perhaps the greatest in the history of the Bundesliga.[/quote]
The Bomber müller of course is the best striker in the history scoring up to 40 goals in one season(34 games :o)
it is sad that ronaldo overtook him in goals scored in world cups. Well I only saw the win of 90. this tournament was great with a cool german team with the best haircuts ;D!!!(Klaus augenthaler for example, or rudi völler)

Oh Valenciano how could you say such things??!!
England’s third goal in the 66 final was clearly over the line as all englishmen know. This was confirmed by the wonderful Russian linesman (who has subsequently become a national hero here) and given by the referee. Therefore it was a goal, no matter how much you would like to believe otherwise. ;D
Furthermore, we have paid for this small piece of good fortune with 40 years of being the victims of misery, disappointment and downright cheating. (Maradonna’s hand of god? Nuff said) :cry:
I have to agree though that the Kaiser was a great player. Although not as good as Bobby Moore.
Let the battle commence!! :wink:

[quote=“Phil H, post:106, topic:527”]Oh Valenciano how could you say such things??!!
England’s third goal in the 66 final was clearly over the line as all englishmen know. This was confirmed by the wonderful Russian linesman (who has subsequently become a national hero here) and given by the referee. Therefore it was a goal, no matter how much you would like to believe otherwise. ;D
I have to agree though that the Kaiser was a great player. Although not as good as Bobby Moore.
Let the battle commence!! ;)[/quote]
Well englishman think it is like that. but they also think mint sauce and vinegar on chips(well french fries ;D) are great. so that said to their opinions.
Well the best game againt engerland was the euro 96 semi-final. The chance gaza missed in injury time, my heart allmost stopped. ahh great tournament with the best football song. i love the version they did for the world cup where they played a team of german fans in the video(all germans wore stephan kuntz jerseys and had mullets, great). and of course they had humor by showing the german winning team singing football coming home on a balcony.
But its funny that the english talk of the curse of wembley. best excuse for having a team of losers who dont have the nerves to win one penalty shootout(as well as the netherlands; classic allready is the semi final of the U21 euro; where the final scroe of penalties alone was 13-12!!)
well the next game is soon enough to bring up old war stereotypes and stuff. cheers to a fair game without russian linesmen :wink:

Oh Man, don’t say the P word! (penalties!!!)
We suck so bad at those shootout things I can’t bear to watch them anymore.
You are right though, Euro 96 was a great tournament. There was some excellent football played and great goals. (Gazza’s winner against Scotland was my favourite) Unfortunately it was spoiled by a terrible semi final result!
I don’t even know if we will qualify for this next one. We have been pretty damn poor recently.
By the way I thought your guys looked great with the mullets. You should go back to them. Very classy.

[quote=“valenciano, post:107, topic:527”]Well englishman think it is like that. but they also think mint sauce and vinegar on chips(well french fries ;D) are great.[/quote]???
salt & Vinegar yes, i don’t know anyone who puts mint sauce on chips.

The Dutch seem to put mayonnaise on everything though.

well mint sauce on beef of course?? chips with mayonnaise and curry ketchup plus raw onions is a dutch special. i love it!!!
just came back from practice, scored a nice penalty at the end!!!

ohh the mullet is back in a worse form, with dyed end!!! in the house/electro music scene ridicilous 80´2 hair and stupid clothing is the shit. i go to those parties often but dont sport the mullet(allthough i had a semi one in spain, as it was THE haircut there in 2005)

some pictures??? [url]http://www.11freunde.de/ballkultur/102948[/url]
the scroll down and click: zur bildergalerie, a window opens, and then click on the lower right side of each picture to move on; enjoy some classic german(or bundesliga player) beauties!!!

Oh yes. I’m liking those haircuts. Although for the true mullet fan there is only one site to go to.

By the way, it’s mint sauce with lamb. We’re not that weird. :wink:

[quote=“Phil H, post:111, topic:527”]Oh yes. I’m liking those haircuts. Although for the true mullet fan there is only one site to go to.

By the way, it’s mint sauce with lamb. We’re not that weird. ;)[/quote]
Some of them mullet pics are well funny ;D

Well this is my idea of weirdness. I think in france they even call the mullet something like german footballers haircut!!
well schuster lost with madrid 3:0 against hannover 96, 11th of german league. And cologne won against bayern munich 3:1, but it was their B team. who cares.

Hi guys, back from my trip to Nijmegen, netherlands; Bremen and Hamburg. I went to the cup game cologen vs the second team of Bremen(second teams(mostly youth teams of biggger clubs)are only allowed to play in theird league(so called amateurs)) of course we made a fool of ourselves and lost 4:2 in a crappy little stadium. and it costed 8€ for a standing place, well better than in england i guess.
i have to decide wether to study in nijmegen or heidelberg, anybody from the netherlands can give me some info about nijmegen???

this topic irritated me, i was about to post Arizona State Sun Devils, and noticed that you’re talking about SOCCER haha

Will you move back to Arizona this autumn Seb?

well dutch engström made the same joke; i personally dont care that much how you call it. also like american football. I dont have a favourite team there, just been to the us once, so ni cinnection to any club.

Just got back from seeing my team (Leyton Orient) at Southend Utd where we won 2-1 with a late winner from our new striker and a free kick from Sean Thornton that David Beckham would have been proud of.
I realise this will not mean much to most of you as we are a small club in the lower divisions of english football but it was a great win for us on the first game of the season and a fabulous match.
Happy Happy, Joy Joy!

Its the week of truth! tonight we play alemania aachen(they call it derby cause aachen is less than a hour away from cologne, but we just know they are to unimportant to be not ignored!!), and wednesday will be a bad day for all the english!! The FA starts with a choreo to thank germany for a great world cup and then we will say thank you by scoring a few goal(hopefully cologne striker Helmes will show where its at)
cheers and to a good game

[quote=“valenciano, post:119, topic:527”]wednesday will be a bad day for all the english!! The FA starts with a choreo to thank germany for a great world cup and then we will say thank you by scoring a few goal(hopefully cologne striker Helmes will show where its at)
cheers and to a good game[/quote]
You never know, it’s only a friendly and were without Rooney and i don’t think Ballack has recovered from his Injury yet (He hasn’t played this season yet and he wasn’t even on the bench for yesterday’s game against Liverpool which finished 1-1).

Manchester United only have 2 points out of their first 3 premiership games ;D, i know it’s only the start of the season but i think (hope) they are in trouble.