The Football Thread

And to rub salt into the wound, they have been beaten by arch-rivals Manchester City!!!

Yes that was good to see. All neutrals here like to see United get beat.
As for the England v Germany game coming up…It will be a good game (there are no real friendlies between us I don’t think. Always competitive) But I am not looking forward to it to be honest. Our team are not playing well at the moment even before Rooney was injured. So I think we will struggle. But who knows? Maybe Michael Owen will make a comeback and get a hat trick. 5-1 anyone?

Man, I hope Germany are bringing a decent team for the friendly at Wembley. England’s line up is rapidly beginning to look like a reserve team. Rooney, Gerrard, Crouch, Hargreaves, Neville and Ferdinand are all out with Beckham looking 50/50 and Carragher retired. Maybe if I take my boots I might get a game?

[quote=“Phil H, post:123, topic:527”]Man, I hope Germany are bringing a decent team for the friendly at Wembley. England’s line up is rapidly beginning to look like a reserve team. Rooney, Gerrard, Crouch, Hargreaves, Neville and Ferdinand are all out with Beckham looking 50/50 and Carragher retired. Maybe if I take my boots I might get a game?[/quote]unfortunately its the same for germany. i have training tonight maybe jogi löw will see me play and nominate me. It is sad for the people who paid a lot of money. but some are really injured.
we´ll see, since we are now your new best friends! well only untill after five minutes when we score our first goal. the last 5-1 was actually a 1-5(since it was in munich, right) and i expect something like it i.e. away victory!

Oh God that would be too much to bear!

Congratulations to all our German amigos out there. A 2-1 victory over England at Wembley is always a good result for you I know.
I think our poor finishing cost us this game. We certainly created enough chances to win but we were sloppy in front of goal.
Oh yes, and that little error from the goalie didn’t help.
Great goal from Pander though. Excellent strike.

In my opinion England played quite poor.

Joe Cole gave a quite good performance though, but Robinson…

Yeah, we weren’t great that’s for sure. I also don’t understand why they keep bringing Kieron Dyer on as an impact player. 33 games without a goal. Not much impact there I think.

Why do you think Newcastle got rid of him

And injury prone too.
Jermain Defoe must have been gutted not to get on tonight.

;D 8) :-*
ohh it was great, i only had wanted to see englang fail at one or two penalties, that would have been the icing on the cake. The Owen chance was great, i mean lehmann literally gave him the ball and he missed on an open goal, haha.
But the linesman seemed to be russian again. kuranyi(hell i dont even know how he is written) received the ball from an english player one time, so he was not offside.
But englad was quite good but besides j. cole the players that came in were better than the ones that started in my eyes. wright phillips was quite good in my eyes. We had to finish you off a bit earlier i think, so i was not really sure if we could keep the score. But hey it is the curse of wembley, or did you think by building an overpriced stadium you could get rid of the curse that was started by winning an world cup unrightfully? :wink:
How did you think of the danke für(they even had the dots on the U bravo)2006 action? I think it was okay. But where were all the singing england fans, the germans really won the singing(i think the daily mail wrote that).
and it wasnt sold out??? i guess the price was too high and it was only the b-team of germany(yeaah odonkor is doing very good in spain haha).
cheers

Yes, no doubt Kuranyi was played onside by an english player. I think that is just down to the general incompetance of linesmen. The last decent one we had here was in 1966 ;D

As for the england fans not singing…I can’t think that they had anything very much to sing about!

Ah well, there will be other games. Maybe at Euro 2008? If we qualify that is :-\

What happened here. so much. Well the special one mourinho is gone. And i am back on the fever with uefa cup, champions league(which went very bad for german teams, but good for valencia allthough the play THE worst football). and i try to catch as many games as possible with those p2p prgrammes, i just have to improve my chinese a bit, damn it

Well yeh bloomin’ Chelsky supporters, are yeh 'appy with the Russky now? The bloody nerve of that wog, coming in the dressing room and 'aving Shevvie tell Essien 'ow to play midfield. Cheeky, wog wanker!

p.s. Terry’s a back stabbin’ twit!

I’m Canadian so Toronto FC of MLS is my club

Good result in the Carling Cup last night! Manchester United beaten at home 2-0.

Well cologne won last night, after scoring 2 goals in the first 5 minutes. since i am born 83 i never really happened to see the big times of my club. but in the end of the 80´s they were on the same level with the bayern and competing hard, but they fired christoph daum and made some terribel transfers. So we ended up becoming an elevator team(that is we get promoted to get kicked to second league again and so on; we have a song that roughly goes: we get promoted, we get relegated than we get promoted again and get relegated again; we think its funny, because we are crazy. this refers to our image as being a carnival club(actually there are many clubs that organize the parades and stuff for carnival)and being not the norm.
Now it is the fourth time we got relegated and our second season in the second league. Daum is back and praised as the messias but we still have problems. being a big media city if we play good our players are the best, but if not the audience is angry even in the first half.
everybody says a club like cologne belongs to the first league, but i guess that can be said for leeds united too. and they are worse now.

anyway what do you guys think about the investors in the premier league. i mean some are really not interested in football(the liverpool investors did not even know the right name of the club) nor have they made their money legally(a singapur guy in mnchester I think).
what do you guys think of a project like the fc united of manchester where manu fans opened a new club after glazer came? And i just read about an organisation called myfootballclub, they gather money from fans to buy a third league club and decide everything together.
I am sure that i dont want german league to become like premier league; you might have some of the best players(even in smaller clubs and the money paid is ridicolous; example being tottenham they spend more than the bayern did ever, i assume)but the prices are too high, way too high. and all seaters stadiums are a joke. i love standing stands.
just a few thoughts from me.

Congratulations with the 2-0 victory of last night. I guessyou understood that I was kidding a bit about recent results, but I am a lot older than you, and I remember those glory days. Overath is one of my all-time favourites, if you haven’t seen him (I think you have) try to see some old film material of him.

Talking about carneval: I remember that both teams from Cologne, 1. FC + Fortuna played the German Cup Final and I think a song was made about it that became a hit during the carneval period. At least the cup final was mentioned in it, along with some other things. I think the title was something like “Dass gibt es nur in Köln” (if you don’t know,maybe your parents can help, Valenciano).

I don’t like teams bought over by Russian businessmen (or crime ring kings). What’s next? Arab sheiks, African dictators? I know teams are in need of money to keep up with the big teams from Spain and Italy, but like this, they lose their identity. I liked Chelsea when Gullit was coach and that small wizzard Zola was their best player, but now it’s different, a bit too clinical. But I’m afraid this will get worse, Val. Even the German teams like Bayern, Werder and HSV are in desperate need of money and if they can’t get it anywhere else, they probably must accept that Russian, Arabic of whatever money, otherwise they lose players like Klose, Frings, Diego, Van de Vaart, Van Bommel etc.

Stnading stands: I loved them when I was young …

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: 8) ;D ;D

ahhh i can go on and watch tonight the german game without being afraid of anything. so how did the english do against the russian???

;D sorry guys. I guess it is the curse of wembley66, there it was the russian(even though i think he was from a soviet republic)linesman and now the russian team. But I admit it was with the help of the ref, as i did not see the first penalty.
But who cares, now i only need scotland to qualify that would be brilliant.

So who is also looking for the euro. Without England and unfortunately without scotland too. But Scotland had a hard group and would have deserved it, England definetely not, after help from Israel not being able to draw at home.