The Football Thread

Not bad at all. Although not the two you would have prefered I suspect.

You think this saved mourinhos job?? FA cup is good, but the other trophy is a joke, right. in germany the league cup at least is not considered a real trophy. Looking forward to wednesday and saturday, german cup final, and the chance for stuttgart to win an unexpected double.
Pity that my team is still stuck in second league.
Congratulations though, how much money did you make? and did you drink it away or will it be spend on spaghettis?

Thanks
The bookies must have been laughing because they only pay out within 90 minutes, any extra time or penalties and you don’t win anything!

Liverpool FC, always LFC!
When I was a kid they showed english footboll on swedish television every saturday. As the footboll freak I was back then I watched all the games. I was early blended by LFC’s way to play and they became ammidetially my favourites, and still are.

England v. Brazil starting in 2 mins

I bet Brazil beat us but i still want to watch it.

ENGLAND 1 - 1 BRAZIL

John Terry scored with a header assisted from a free kick by David Beckham, Brazil equalized with a goal by Diego in the 2nd minute of extra time.

Thank heavens Becks is back. Say what you like about him, he is still the best player we have by far and no one delivers a cross like him. Let’s hope McLaren keeps faith with him.

Plus, I hate to say it with you being a Blues fan Yodlaf, but Lampard is becoming a liability. He is a good player and I disagree with the booing he is getting at the moment, but he is seriously out of form for England. I honestly think that forcing him and Gerrard to compete for the same shirt would help both of them lift their performances and ultimately help the team. At the end of the day they are both best in the same position and making them fit around each other doesn’t get the best out of either of them.

Well it is a shame, that i couldnt see the game, the new wembley is fine, cant wait for germany to beat the english there. Was it Diego from Bremen who scored? And Becks was allways good in my eyes, he is not the anna kournikova of football he has undeniable skills in my eyes. Tonight I would bet on germany, if I was into betting. We play San Marino. might not get to tough.

Yes it was Diego from Bremen who scored the Brazilian goal. A header in the last seconds of injury time.

ENGLAND v ESTONIA Euro 08 qualifier on wednesday

I see that Real Madrid are champions of Spain.

All that carry on that they didn’t Beckham no more so he signs to LA Galaxy, starts to shine again then Real didn’t want to lose him.

Personally i don’t think MLS is a good move, up until Beckham joining their quality was like the lowest U.K. divisions!

The Green Bay Packers. Borgnine looks a little like Vince Lombardi. I hope this isn’t a soccer thread. lol

Okay just wanted to push this thread as season in germany is about to start with cup matches next week(we allready had the league cup, but here no one really cares about it).

But maybe this was Dutch bad post, very funny indeed.

To get back to it. Are you allready excited?? i look forward to see the new purchases of bayern munich play in the league. But of course my main interest is in germany´s second league(where my team cologne plays), since the football god seemed to forget that we belong in the first but whatever.
Also interested in what Schuster will be doing with Real Madrid. Hope Valencia will do better, but they didnt sign th best players so far, in my opinion.

And premier league??? Well Chelsea didnt spend like billions and stuff this year. Still have a good team and I hope to see a better Ballack, well only when he plays for germany of course; especially when we will win in the new wembley against the english.

Aww cant wait for the season to start, hopefully get to see the cologne cup match against the second team of Werder bremen. And hope to take some nice pictures of great support.

I’m with you mate. I can’t wait for the season to start again.
Of course my team is lying way down in the lower divisions of the english league but I’m just as excited about the new season as ever. In fact this year should be very interesting for us. We have almost completely replaced our first team and have brought in some players who look very good (for our level). However, as a completely new unit they may struggle to gel as a team so our season could go either way. Either we will fly high and press for promotion or crash and burn horribly. Bring it on!

i hope Michael Ballack does better this year (Ja! Ja! Ja!), when i saw him play for Germany in the world cup i thought he played outstanding so when he came to Chelsea i was well happy, but i was quite dissapointed with him last year, let’s hope he shows his true talent this year (he won’t start the season though due to injury). Likewise i hope Shevchenko shows what he’s made of too.

I forgot to mention. I support Fulham. Just because of Moritz Volz. He has a funny website with a great blog(volzy.com). And also writes for the times sometimes. I think it is crazy that they are that many teams from London. In Germany the maximum in first league were two teams (Munich for example). But the ruhrarea might be the size of London and there are Schalke 04(Gelsenkirchen) Borussia Dortmund and Bochum in the first league together with Duisburg. They are all very close. But nothing compared to London i guess.
I red an interesting article about leeds in a great german football magazine(called 11 friends). shame they play in third league. do you read any football magazines? heard fourfourtwo shall be good

Yes Leeds are down with us in division 3 this year. Looking forward to playing them and personally am not sad at all to see them fall so low. It’s a good example to other clubs not to get carried away with money they don’t have. And besides, it adds a bit of glamour to our league and gives me lots of ammunition when talking to my friends who are Leeds fans. They are suffering big time!

A friend of mine is a Leeds fan and is still sour that Chelsea beat them in the 1970 cup final even though we was both born in '73!

Interesting thread. Of course in the U.S., we primarily call it soccer, and I played for about ten years. Loved it.

I don’t really follow it like I used to, but I see where that fancy pants Englishman is playing in the U.S. right now. I was a huge fan of Cruyff and Beckenbauer growing up, and my team was the NY Cosmos. A collection of stars past their prime, mostly, although The Kaiser could still play at Cup level at 34. So could a few of the Dutch players, Neeskens was only 28, as I recall.

I frankly think that was really the golden decade. Maybe beginning with the English win in 1966 (I think that’s right) and continuing on through the great German and Dutch teams in the 70’s. I mean, other than Maradona, I don’t think anyone else can match, Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff. Bobby Charlton is definitely in the top ten of all players of all time.

Let’s hope Beckham does suceed in making the sport bigger in the U.S., they tried before having Pele and George Best playing.

On a funny note i noticed they were selling LA Galaxy shirts over here in the sports shops, i’ve never seen MLS shirts on sale over here before, Beckham turn up and there you go…

i wonder how many people over here will be seen wearing them then?