The films of Lucio Fulci

Well…i haven’t actually seen the film you mentioned so it’s hard to say. The other film i have seen. You’re right, it was called Master of the flying guillotine, and was made in the mid 70’s. If i remember rightly it starred Wang Yu, reprising his “one armed boxer” character. Then again, a lot of these films had very similar titles (bit of a problem with SW’s too!). I actually prefer the 70’s/80’s historically based martial arts stuff to the more modern films; there are some really strange ones out there.

The thing with Italian films is that they are filmed silent and sound added after so even if the mouths are moving correctly they can still be out of sync.

Well, if you come across THE FIGHTING FISTS OF SHANGHAI JOE at a good price it may be worth a purchase, as it is a very enjoyable hybrid of a film really.
Mr. sinster Klaus Kinski is in it aswell.

The different titles to films can be a bit of a minefield, and I have purchased the same film in the past, but with different titles!.

I have learnt by my mistakes though.

The historical martial arts films I have seen do have a certiain charm about them.

I do like some of John Woo’s eighties stuff though, like THE KILLER.

Ah…i have heard this, about the films being made that way. And i suppose it is pretty hard to match your words to someone else’s mouth!

About this Shanghai Joe film. I will definitely keep an eye out for it. And i must admit to liking some of the John Woo stuff, and similar stuff by other directors. (A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, Full Contact and Hard Boiled in particular).

Oh and so far i’ve managed to avoid buying the same SW twice…but probably only due to keeping a big list of all alternative titles… :smiley:

[quote=“Silver, post:44, topic:517”]Ah…i have heard this, about the films being made that way. And i suppose it is pretty hard to match your words to someone else’s mouth!

About this Shanghai Joe film. I will definitely keep an eye out for it. And i must admit to liking some of the John Woo stuff, and similar stuff by other directors. (A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, Full Contact and Hard Boiled in particular).

Oh and so far i’ve managed to avoid buying the same SW twice…but probably only due to keeping a big list of all alternative titles… :D[/quote]

Oh yes HARD BOILED is great and I prefer his Hong Kong work to his U.S work on the whole.

Wise, to keep a list of all the different titles like you, its something I need to get my head round really!.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:45, topic:517”]Oh yes HARD BOILED is great and I prefer his Hong Kong work to his U.S work on the whole.

Wise, to keep a list of all the different titles like you, its something I need to get my head round really!.[/quote]

I have to agree with you there. His Hong Kong stuff is far superior. But it’s the same with other chinese directors too…and actors. Take Jackie Chan and Jet Li; their US films have been OK i guess but nowhere near as good as their ealier stuff. Moving into the Hollywood mainstream seems to lessen the quality of their work.

Yes, like you say it seems to lessen their work.

I forgot about Jet Li and Jacke Chan aswell.

I need to get round to seeing Jet Li’s ONCE UPON A CHINA films, as I have heard good things about these films.

They are good films. But the first couple are probably the best. Funnily enough, in one of the later ones, Li’s character goes West; it’s one of the weaker films in the series but still worth a look.

“THE FIGHTING FISTS OF SHANGHAI JOE” is available on a Japanese dvd and also released in Germany on x-rated :slight_smile:

Back to Fulci

Has anybody ever seen his film “DRACULA IN THE PROVINCES”

i’ve wanted to see if for years but never managed to get hold of it, the nearest i’ve come is a Greek tape but i’ve always been outbid and the price has gone too high for my liking, well, for a film i haven’t seen anyhow.

I will look out for , cheers.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:50, topic:517”]Back to Fulci

i’ve wanted to see if for years but never managed to get hold of it, the nearest i’ve come is a Greek tape but i’ve always been outbid and the price has gone too high for my liking, well, for a film i haven’t seen anyhow.[/quote]

Yes, like you say back to Fulci, a bit of a tangent there.

No, I have never seen, sounds interesting.

My friend went to Greece last November and could not find any tapes, but he is a bit dopey though.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:50, topic:517”]Back to Fulci

i’ve wanted to see if for years but never managed to get hold of it, the nearest i’ve come is a Greek tape but i’ve always been outbid and the price has gone too high for my liking, well, for a film i haven’t seen anyhow.[/quote]

This film often pops up under the title “Young Dracula”, (then again, so does that Andy Warhol film). If you just wanted to check it out, i think you can get it on dvd-r from the following places …Atlas Visuals, European Trash Cinema, Tropic Twilight, and from Horrotheater entertainment. I believe the ETC and horror theater ones are letterboxed prints in english. Cheapest would probably be from Atlas, and they do have a pretty honest grading system. From what i’ve heard (and from seeing a few clips) it’s a pretty bad sex comedy where, upon being bitten by a camp Dracula, a businessman fears he’s going to turn gay and spends the rest of the film trying to prove his “masculinity”(!)

I have heard several times that Fulci was difficult director to work with. Not very nice person towards actors etc. Does anyone know any stories or something about this?

I’m not that familiar with many of his films, but he is mentioned in a lot of my books, and the make up artist Giannetto De Rossi says in one of them that “Lucio was a very strange person. Very cultured and artistic on one side, a sleazy bum on the other”. I have read in horror magazines over the years that he was difficult to work for, didn’t take criticism well and “didn’t like stars”. Mind you, one other person (can’t recall the name offhand) did say that a lot of bad things happened in his life (his daughter had a very bad accident, his wife left him and he had money problems), and that this was when he started making more violent and nihilistic films, perhaps reflecting on how life had treated him. I am curious about that “sleazy bum” comment tho! :smiley:

[quote=“Silver, post:55, topic:517”]lot of bad things happened in his life (his daughter had a very bad accident, his wife left him and he had money problems), and that this was when he started making more violent and nihilistic films, perhaps reflecting on how life had treated him.[/quote]Tomas Milian said something similar in Four of the Apocalypse dvd interview. His wife left him with an actor and he started hating actors and also started making quite misogynist films. Women are treated usually very badly in his films.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:54, topic:517”]I have heard several times that Fulci was difficult director to work with. Not very nice person towards actors etc. Does anyone know any stories or something about this?[/quote]I’ve heard that also, apparently he’s had many a female actresses in tears and often exploded in rages.

So does anyone know what year his wife left him then?

i have now seen the cover of the new dvd of Fulci’s “PERVERSION STORY”, and it appears to be a rehash of the old Inter-ocean sleeve but i have heard from a friend that the print is fantastic so i will definately be getting it.

The pre-cert lives on!