The fans' true django sequel

Some time ago I read the Django article on the German Wikipedia. There you can read:

Die offizielle Fortsetzung heißt Djangos Rückkehr, entspricht aber nicht mehr dem Stil des Originals. Der einzige Film, der von Anhängern als Django-Fortsetzung akzeptiert wurde, ist der brutale Django, leck Staub von meinem Colt (Se sei vivo spara) mit Tomas Milian.

([size=1]The official sequel is called Django Strikes Again, but it doesn’t match the style of the original. The only movie that has been accepted as an Django sequen by the fans is the brutal Django Kill (Se sei vivo spara) with Tomas Milian.)[/size]

Having read that I took the liberty of correcting this detail and replaced Kill Django by Preparati La Bara with Terence Hill. Wikipedia didn’t accept this change.

What do you think, have I chosen the wrong flick?
Which one is the fans’ true Django sequel?

I have always thought Preparati La Bara with Terence Hill. The Franco Nero one of the eighties lacks Spaghetti style and Django now looks a little tired and not as slim as he used to be :smiley: .

Well unfortunately the one true sequel is Django strikes again. Its not an ideal sequel of course, and lacks most of everything that made the original such a great picture, but alas we still are forced to accept it. Its got Franco Nero and Corbucci himself gave it his blessing.

Of course Preparati la bara is one of the unofficial sequels that lays the best claim since it follows rather closely the original.

The wiki statement of Django Kill with Tomas Millian being the one true sequelis completely erroneous and false. Its got as much to do in common with the original as Django the bastard!

10.000 Dollars Blood Money has a true Django feel and I also like Viva Django a lot.

Its safe to say,that ‘Preparati la bara’ should have been the first sequel at this time,based on the figure Franco Nero was playing in ‘Django’.
Ferdinando Baldi let survey Terence Hill by the producer in a Franco Nero look.Its said that the producer thought it is Franco Nero.
I think you’re right

Unfortunatly Wikipedia has more and more flaws. I couldn’t found a source for an approveal that Django kill is for many the only sequel. Both Preparati la bara and Django kill, if you live shoot! are like Corbuccis Django and could be stated as unoffical sequels. :wink:

But Django Kill way only named Django outside of Italy. Milian has no name in the film, he’s only called the stranger.

I’m just rewatching Preparati la bara. And I’m still wondering, if this was supposed to be an “official” sequel, why they made this one with a screenplay that wasn’t fitting for a prequel nor a sequel.

I have watched the first 20 min yesterday (before I fell asleep), and these 20 min are pretty weak. Worser than I remembered it.

That’s right Tomas Milan is only listed as The Stranger. Forgot about that.
Haven’t watched Prepari la bara for years. IMO the wikipedia entry is wrong anyway cause it’s only the opionion of some people and not fact.

[quote=“Stanton, post:7, topic:1953”]I’m just rewatching Preparati la bara. And I’m still wondering, if this was supposed to be an “official” sequel, why they made this one with a screenplay that wasn’t fitting for a prequel nor a sequel.

I have watched the first 20 min yesterday (before I fell asleep), and these 20 min are pretty weak. Worser than I remembered it.[/quote]
It gets much better on somewhere at 50+ minutes. I just rewatched the film and though I got to agree that it wasn’t as good as I remembered there’s few great scenes which makes the film above average and also the most Django-style film in my eyes.

sequel/prequel thing is tricky. In a way it works as a prequel, it just doesn’t take a place in right period because first Django takes place after the civil war and in Viva Django it’s 1880’s or something.
Django’s wife Lucy is killed by bandits in Viva Django BUT Garcia’s wife is called Mercedes which is the name on the gravestone in original Django. So we could assume that Django married the mexican girl and she was the wife killed by racistic Major Jackson during the civil war.

[quote=“Stanton, post:7, topic:1953”]But Django Kill way only named Django outside of Italy. Milian has no name in the film, he’s only called the stranger.

I’m just rewatching Preparati la bara. And I’m still wondering, if this was supposed to be an “official” sequel, why they made this one with a screenplay that wasn’t fitting for a prequel nor a sequel.

I have watched the first 20 min yesterday (before I fell asleep), and these 20 min are pretty weak. Worser than I remembered it.[/quote]

I actually thought the first 20 minutes was the strongest part of the movie, don’t think it picks up until he uses the machine gun.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:9, topic:1953”]It gets much better on somewhere at 50+ minutes. I just rewatched the film and though I got to agree that it wasn’t as good as I remembered there’s few great scenes which makes the film above average and also the most Django-style film in my eyes.

sequel/prequel thing is tricky. In a way it works as a prequel, it just doesn’t take a place in right period because first Django takes place after the civil war and in Viva Django it’s 1880’s or something.
Django’s wife Lucy is killed by bandits in Viva Django BUT Garcia’s wife is called Mercedes which is the name on the gravestone in original Django. So we could assume that Django married the mexican girl and she was the wife killed by racistic Major Jackson during the civil war.[/quote]

Interesting this Mercedes thing. I never noticed it. But the Corbucci Django seems to have another background and seems to be another character than the Baldi Django.

As I don’t have time for anything in these days, I made only another 30 min of Preparati, so I’m now around the 50th or 60 th min. Still disappointing. Mostly unimaginatively directed with flat images and not much atmosphere. The screenplay is a messy patchwork.
There was this awfully directed stagecoach robbery shortly before and now I’m close to one of the better scenes: Django assaulting the house of George Eastman.

The Django character in Preparati and the Django character in Django itself are different men. I don’t feel the need to unite the two movies in an ‘official’ capacity, especially since Franco Nero declined to appear in this one, despite having signed up for it with Django producer Manolo Bolognini. Baldi, together with Django co-writer Franco Rossetti and DP Enzo Barboni, obviously wanted to siphon off some of the popularity of Corbucci’s film, as did so many other film-makers of course, and they fashioned a movie that is strongly reminiscent yet essentially unconnected.

Of course, it’s fine for fans to speculate on the connections between Terence Hill’s Django and Franco Nero’s Django - the film encourages this - in the same way that fans have been speculating for years about the timeline of the Dollars films (another endeavour that strikes me as redundant - it really doesn’t matter).

I don’t think preparati la bara can really be a true sequel its got a different continuity, although it tries more than other movies do.

Btw, I’ve never saw much of a resemblance between hill and nero. Sure they are somewhat similar looking but to have one being mistaken for the other is ridiculous. Or am I blind? LOL

I can see how they could have been confused in pictures if both were wearing similar outfits and pulling similar expressions. And if a persuasive producer was employing all his wiles to convince you of the likeness.

just check out the scene in the beginning where Hill is crawling in ground watching the bandits. He’s just like spitting image of Nero there.

In the same outfit they look rather similar,therefore you’ll need no glasses

Thats very interesting,i’ve never seen this from that view

In the original ‘Django’ he said that his wife is buried at that graveyard,also that Major Jackson killed her.
I first thought it was a coincidence that he chose that grave cross,then i thought he chose it because of the iron ornament,to fix his gun.

The fact with Garcias wife i’ve not noticed (Preparati la bara is the next movie i’ll rewatch),but if it should be a prequel,Baldi threaded that great !

I assumed every detail of ‘Django’ is discovered and cleared up,but something appear again and again

VEry intersting stuff, that came out in this thread. More than I expected.
I haven’t notides this Mercedes thing either.

Eventually apart from Django2 no Django can come up with a real continuity. So there is no real sequel or prequel.

I was aksing about let’s say the flick closest to being a kind of sequen, and I think this is Preparati. However it is much more closer to being a sequel than Django kill.

I’ve re-watched ‘Preparati la bara’ yesterday night and i’m rather sure that Baldi construed a prehistory to ‘Django’

Yes,especially at these close shots from the side profile they look like twins

I fully agree here… Preparati feels a lot more similar all around, from the looks of the character to the ending- it actually has elements directly from Django… whereas Django Kill doesn’t have any direct django elements at all