The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

I think it beats the GH version on most accounts no?

good news!

Me too, Iā€™m honestly very fond of that one myself. Kind of donā€™t want to replace it.

Certainly looks like it will, on the face of it. :+1:

I love the GH release dearly as well but that is the one aspect that could have been better. I think they could have at least had an English release of the longer version and, if nothing else, subtitled only the portions without English audio. Outside of that, it is an absolutely awesome release.

1 Like

I think I will still stay with my old Sollima Box DVD.

The uncut version with Italian audio and correctly translated subs could be a reason to buy another version, but the one I have is actually not bad in that regard.

2 Likes

A massive selling point for me, I enjoy the full version but I prefer to listen to LVCā€™s own voice so this version sounds fantastic!

1 Like

On that note, can someone who has the GH release please check the details in the Database for completeness and correctness, and, because I am not sure of that, educate me if we really correctly have two versions listed, one 4 disc limited edition and a later one with simpler packaging and no soundtrack? Thanks!

Looks right to me, boss. The only issue I can see is that, in the database, weā€™ve stated that the four-disc versions are limited to 3000 and individually numbered, and I canā€™t see where mine is individually numbered. The specs and extras look right though. Iā€™m just going to stick them in the machine to make sure :+1:

1 Like

So what scenes are added in the longer version? And how much is missing in comparison? I may not have seen them.

-EDIT-
I see now, looks like 15mins. Iā€™ll have to stick the Italian version in and see what scenes are missing. Only ever used the main 95min US disc.

Same. I have the four-disc version and mine doesnā€™t have a number on it that I can find.

yeah. No number here either.

The features from the 2013 Grindhouse Releasing version then, in their entirety:

Embossed cardboard outer slip cover

Reversible inner sleeve cover featuring The Big Gundown artwork on one side and La Resa Dei Conti artwork on the other

22-page booklet

Disc 1: The Big Gundown (Extended US Version)

Audio:

-Mono English Language Soundtrack
-Music and Effects Only
-Audio Commentary by C. Courtney Joyner and Henry C. Parke

Special Features:

Interviews:
-Sergio Sollima Remembers The Big Gundown (Rome, 2005) (29:02)
-Tomas Milian: Acting on Instinct (Miami, 2001) (29:48)
-Tagliatelle in Los Angeles: Sergio Donati Interview (San Francisco, 2013) (12:03)
-Sergio Sollima: Struggles Against Genre (Rome, 2005) (27:55)
-Sergio Donati Bonus Interview (Rome, 2005) (11:51)

Still Galleries:
-Production Stills
-U.S. Promotional Material
-Italian Promotional Material
-French Promotional Material
-Various Promotional Material

Trailers and TV Spots:
-U.S. Theatrical Trailer A
-U.S. Theatrical Trailer B
-Italian Theatrical Trailer
-TV Spot A
-TV Spot 1
-TV Spot 2
-TV Spot X
-TV Spot Y

Filmographies:
-Sergio Sollima Filmography
-Tomas Milian Filmography
-Sergio Donati Filmography

Disc Credits

DVD-ROM Content

Disc 2: La Resa Dei Conti (Original Italian Version)

Audio/Subtitles:

-Mono Italian Language Soundtrack
-Stereo Ennio Morricone Music Only
-English Subtitles On/Off
-Music Commentary Subtitles On/Off

Special Features:

Grindhouse Releasing Previews of Coming Attractions:
-An American Hippie in Israel
-Corruption
-The Swimmer
-Massacre Mafia Style
-Gone With the Pope
-Cannibal Holocaust
-Ice House
-Poor White Trash 2
-Cat in the Brain
-The Beyond
-Cannibal Ferox
-The Tough Ones
-Pieces
-I Drink Your Blood

Disc 3: The Big Gundown (Extended US Version) (Region-Free DVD)

Audio:

Same as Disc 1

Special Features:

Same as Disc 1

Disc 4: The Big Gundown - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Ennio Morricone (CD)

3 Likes

But will it better than the German blu-ray with English audio for the extended version when available? Have they found some more English audio?

probably not but the GH edition never had this in the first place. I doubt English dubs for these parts even exist

it depens from where you calculate, the US theatrical cut or the US extended cut (which as made for TV a it later, I am not even sure if those scenes contain dialogue because that means they would have had to dub that or be limited to discareded footage that had been dubbed). At any rate, the long cut is the preferred cut, why would you settle with something butchered of this magnificent movie

1 Like

Unlike GBU, this film is better with the restored scenes.

2 Likes

updated! finally actual confirmed specs! we should do this for so many more releases in the database :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve always enjoyed it and thought it to be great as it is in the 95min version, but I guess Iā€™ll have to watch the longer Italian cut and check out what Iā€™m missing in that case. :+1:

1 Like

I never got the GH release, but this one I canā€™t resist.