The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

I love this interview. Sollima said heā€™d sue anyone who used the term ā€˜Spaghetti Westernā€™.
Shame itā€™s not gonna be ported to the Indicator release.

1 Like

no? there is a slight hope as their site says extras may not be final :wink:

Consider my fingers officially crossed, SeƱor Seb.

I vaguely recall someone noting that the Franco Cleef version used some sections of English audio that werenā€™t included in the German blu ray for some reason. Perhaps Iā€™m making this up? I havenā€™t watched my Franco Cleef disc in years ā€¦

just speculating: the stuff re-added for the US TV version had some new/additional/archival English audio that Cleef used, but Explosive didnā€™t?

shit someone help me out real quick. Christy sings the opening titles in Italian, too, but thatā€™s neither on the original motion picture soundtrack nor can I , for some reason, find it on youtube at the moment. Someone please feed my hunger

edit: it is actually track 12 on the OST but where is the video on youtube that I thought I had handy

That could be it. Or maybe I made it up. Iā€™d need to compare the discs. If the UK release has more complete English than the Explosive release, then Iā€™m interested

Yeah the only CD I have is the one that comes with the Grindhouse blu-ray, and I recall it being on there.

Youā€™ll notice what youā€™ve been missing in roughly 5 minutes. Not only is the Italian dialogue better, but the first scene with the robbers is simply masterful in its complete version, where itā€™s accompanied by Morricones utterly beautiful score.

So will I. I rarely, if ever, buy anything Iā€™ve already got and that edition is great as it is.

1 Like

you are so right - that first scene with the robbers is infinitely better. Makes you wonder why they do all these stupid cuts in the first place . . . only makes it harder for people to enjoy what was intended. Iā€™ve always meant to check out the other disc but never got around to it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read that they did it on the U.S. release so that they could show it as half of a double feature. :roll_eyes: If this is correct, the distributors were too stupid to realize they were massacring a classic.

3 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like

Someone should try and convince Indicator to restore the longer riding and duel scenes to the extended English language print.

1 Like

The Big Rating

1 Like

But was there ever any English dialogue recorded for those sequences? My understanding is that the 15 additional minutes of the film were cut before the dubbing.

1 Like

Now active, pre-order via: https://amzn.to/3pIqAjD

all details see Resa dei conti, La/BR - The Spaghetti Western Database

I wish they would give more info about how their English audio track on the full-length version compares with Explosiveā€™s version. Should we be expecting the same?

1 Like

How would it be different? You take whatā€™s there in English and fill the rest with Italian;) what am I missing

Unless more complete English audio elements have been discovered, then it will be much the same as weā€™ve seen before.

Will the mistake made in previous dubs be corrected? ā€¦ (Iā€™ve mentioned this before), at the wedding party when LVC is introduced to Gerard Herter, two red haired employees of Brokston arrive, telling of Cuchilloā€™s rape and murder of a child etc ā€¦ there is a line given to Tom Felleghy which belongs in the mouth of one of the red head boys ā€¦ or is it the other way around? But then it cuts to the Italian audio track where the line is said again with English subs.
Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve watched the film ā€¦ but this always jumps out as a little mistake from Franco Cleefā€™s reconstruction ā€¦ PS: A very minor complaint, as that work was amazing!

1 Like

Interesting. Go email them;)