The Big Gundown / La resa dei conti (Sergio Sollima, 1966)

So, I got home from the screening in Stockholm a couple of hours ago. It was fantastic! Getting to see this fabulous film on a big screen in its original language was thrilling to say the least. It allowed me to fully appreciate the gorgeous cinematography and Carlo Simiā€™s equally gorgeous scenography - but the highlight is, of course, Morricones wonderfully touching score.

But I also really like the way it makes the viewer feel ā€œat homeā€, so to speak. Where most SW:s (or even most westerns in general) just present 90 minutes of gunplay between the goodies and the baddies, Sollima and Donati take their time to depict the society of the west, and thereby create a fleshed-out world the viewer would like to explore further. The same goes for the characters; The main narrative flaw of The Great Silence, I think, is that the political allegory ties back the complexity of the characters and, by extension, the depth of the film. With The Big Gundown itā€™s a different story. It is politically charged, yes (though less than most people claim it to be, in my opinion) but itā€™s so well written that the characters, even the bad guys, feels like human people.

To me, thereā€™s no doubt about it; THIS is the greatest non-Leone Spaghetti Western and it may very well be one of the finest westerns of all time. It certainly deserves more recognition than several more well-known ones. Yet a lot of people complain that itā€™s ā€œpoorly narratedā€ and ā€œtoo preachyā€. I donā€™t get it :frowning_face:

7 Likes

I think the issue for some might be, though I canā€™t say for sure, is that they have never seen the uncut version. The version that was released in the U.S. is an abomination to anyone that has seen the original release as it was cut to the point that much of what makes it memorable and special was left on the cutting room floor. I have read that this was done so that it could be shown in a double feature. The distributors had no clue that they were shredding a classic.

3 Likes

When I first saw it on TV, it was just over 80 minutes long with several bad jump cuts - I think it was just pruned down any old how ā€¦ and I was a little disappointed after knowing the fantastic music years before seeing that version - The complete version is superb and definitely and all time top 10 favourite :wink:

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it @JohnBaxter
Itā€™s a great film but raised to a different level when seen in a cinema I believe.
The first time I ever saw the film was in a cinema in Venice and it absolutely blew me away. And yes, it was the music, or should I say the marriage of music with the visuals that really impressed. Unforgettable

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard you say this before, Phil.
I never get tired of hearing itā€¦What a wonderful experienceā€¦ :+1: :smiley:

One of Ennioā€™s best, love himā€¦add on the visuals, and you canā€™t fail :smiley:

I adore ā€˜The Big Gundownā€™.

1 Like

I think youā€™re at least partially right. Even after Grindhouse released the Italian version, I know of many people who still opted to watch the 95-minute English-language cut (even after every single review of the release dubbed it the inferior oneā€¦!) which not only butchers my favorite scene in the entire film (the opening scene) but is also poorly dubbed, which may have caused those who watched it to misblame some rather wooden lines on Sollimas direction. All that being said, I think it would still have qualified easily for my top 10 with the cut version (if they only had left the opening scene alone, that is.)

But the screening I attended showed a restauration of the original Italian theatrical version, and even then, I read some comments by some other people who watched it, and they still pointed out the narrative as weak. How anybody could think that is a mystery to me, especially considering all unconditional praise given to The Great Silence, which, as I wrote before, suffers from far more one-dimensional characters and logical inconsistencies in my opinion

Maybe some people disklike the episodic structure of the first half, but I personally think itā€™s what creates the ā€œepicā€ feel of the film. When Corbett and Cuchillo part ways at the end, I really feel that theyā€™ve been trough an adventure. That, alongside the accompaniment of Ennioā€™s score, is enough toggle me goosebumps for a good while even after the film is finished. Itā€™s also what allows the interesting, reflective depiction of the old west society that I wrote about earlier. Besides, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is very episodic yet (rightfully) hailed as one of the greatest films ever made.

5 Likes

Iā€™m late but I really liked you pointing this out - it explains greatly how this movie ended up being one of my comfort movies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Itā€™s also interesting to see you compare the movieā€™s quality with The Great Silence and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I agree with you that, though I love both these movies (TGS a little more), they are definitely overhyped a bit compared to The Big Gundown. About The Great Silenceā€™s characters being one-dimensional to youā€¦ can I ask if you feel the same about TGTB&TUā€™s titular folks (excluding Tuco)? I know I felt that, lol.

Also the narrative in The Big Gundown is definitely not weak. Were they watching the same movie? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Said a decade ago, but I couldnā€™t agree more - this unusually well-thought-through relationship between the ā€œRun, man, runā€ song and the movie is one of its best features for me too. Love her voice or hate it - I love it - Christyā€™s clear projection of the words really welds them to the theme, so that I find canā€™t help but ā€œhearā€ those words even when Iā€™m hearing the theme without them. This is true even in the ā€œsquare danceā€ at the wedding reception just before Brokston engineers the framing of Cuchillo: the ā€œRun, man, runā€ theme recurs, recalling the songā€™s message of freedom, brotherhood, etc., but the style is so changed that it feels like some weird auditory dream-distortion.

I think Morriconeā€™s score matches that shift. The ā€œbig themeā€ is scattered across the filmā€™s first half and mixed with other material, but as the hunt for Cuchillo starts up in the cane fields it comes together in a vast, climactic, utterly unforgettable musical set piece .

5 Likes

It doesnā€™t get any more epic than @Divy 's in-depth look at The Big Gundown

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_rare_spectacle:_The_Big_Gundown

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Always wanted to put in a more detailed effort on a Spaghetti Western, but it was really the question of the ranch that got me going on this film. It seemed the most interesting of all the mini-episodes present in the film.

2 Likes

Actually, I donā€™t. Iā€™m not sure why, but I suspect itā€™s because the film doesnā€™t try to moralize the characters the way TGS does. In that film, the characters are obviously meant to serve the political allegory. The poor outlaws are really innocent victims - the bounty killers are unconditionally evil. By doing so, it takes away one of the things I like about SWs - the lack of a clear black-and-white morality. The ultimate nihilistic narrative, for me, would have been if Corbucci had left it to the viewer which side was right.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is different. Thereā€™s no clear good-evil conflict - instead, itā€™s basically a character study of the three protagonists during their journey trough the madness of the American Civil War. I canā€™t point out a single scene which adds depth to Clint and LVC:s characters, but I feel like thereā€™s some subtile details throughout the whole film that still makes me feel that theyā€™re real people with emotions even though they feel rather flat at first sight. The best scene example of that is probably when Blondie secretly witnesses Tucoā€™s fight with his brother. He doesnā€™t intervene, but you can tell from his face that heā€™s genuinely saddened by the brothersā€™ dysfunctional relationship, and afterwards, he gently plays along with Tucos attempt to convince him (and himself) that he and his brother are on the best of terms. And thereā€™s of course the scene where he comforts the dying Confederate soldier. For Van Cleef, I think heā€™s made much more round in the extended cut (hence why I, contrary to most others, prefer that cut). Thereā€™s the scene where he visits the war camp and is visibly gripped by the miserable situation. All these are small gestures, but with this subtlety (a thing that TGS would have benefitted from having more of) Leone makes us care for these three people, and letā€™s face it: You donā€™t want Angel Eyes to die at the end, even though heā€™s an utterly unpleasant human being.

From one thing to another, even though it doesnā€™t appear like there are any existing copies of it, in case it even ever existed, it would be interesting to view the rumored 135-minute version of TBG. The film is wonderful as it is, but a 135-minute version mightā€™ve been able to elaborate the story further - which might finally please those people who complained that itā€™s not well narrated, even in the 110-minute cut. But I guess they would start complain about the length instead - some people are never satisfied.

(and once again, sorry for the late answer).

2 Likes

I actually never read that TBG is poorly narrated (who wrote such?), but I think that the long ranch scene is a narrative problem. It is surely in accordance with the filmā€™s themes, but it just goes on too long, with it the cat and mouse game between Corbett and Cuchillo also goes on too long, and the film needs too long to come back to the characters and the story of the beginning. And for me the shoot-out at the ranch is a bit poorly directed.

Overall this long scene damages the film for me. It is a good Spag, but even without that scene not in the class of Leone or the best Corbuccis.
But on the other hand way better than Death Rides a Horse.

But The Great Silence is one of the genres most original films, and shows to what the genre was able, thematically and stylistically.

1 Like

I swear I hated it! Angel Eyes ended up being my favorite character. I guess thatā€™s why Iā€™m now wishing that some of the depth Tuco got wouldā€™ve gone to him now, and (imo) it makes for an interesting story to get to know why an evil character is evil - because none of us are born that wayā€¦ but you can risk convolution and it mightā€™ve been counter-intuitive for the movieā€™s established tone, so yeah that one scene at the war camp is enough. Anyway, I do agree with you: TGTB&TU comes off a lot less preachy than TGS. The former and the latter are almost like on a big olā€™ scale between nihilism and preachiness while TBGā€™s perfectly in the middle. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But ā€œoriginalā€ doesnā€™t necessarily mean ā€œgoodā€. I donā€™t get why loads and loads of people keep praising the ending of TGS as A-grade cinema. Itā€™s basically a regular western ending done the other way round. As someone else, apparently one of my very few opinion pals on the issue, wrote; ā€œThe ending falls into the just-because-we-can category. Most people seem to think ā€œunpredictableā€ is automatically good, but anyone could be unpredictable. No talent neededā€.

Couldnā€™t have put it better myself. Itā€™s supposed to be devastating, but instead comes off as annoying - and not in the way Corbucci intended. Moreover, the film leaves several logical issues unresolved - Why would Tigrero and c:o expect to get their bounties when their ā€œemployerā€ was dead, when heā€™d been arrested for attempted murder and - most prominently - killed a lawman? Why didnā€™t the governor of Utah ban bounty killing immediately? None of this makes any sense to me, but they could have been avoided - or, even better, resolved - if there hadnā€™t been for the films obsession to be a ā€œChe Guevara allegoryā€.

The Big Gundown, on the other hand, has a much more downplayed political message (even though most people seem to consider it the more political of the two) and thus also works simply as an entertaining western. The allegory is more in the background, even though Divyā€™s excellent essay proves that itā€™s definitely recognizable (heck, Iā€™m not even sure If Sollima himself noticed all of the symbols pointed out in the essay), so the characters donā€™t feel limited to their symbolic purpose. Brockston, for example, is the villain of the film and represents the unscrupulous capitalist, but he still has other personality traits. Even though he is very keen on keeping the unhappy marriage between Chet and his daughter for economic reasons, thereā€™s no question that he still loves her (I disagree with Divyā€™s essay on this point). His attempt to frame Cuchillo for the crime is in no small part to protect his interests, but first and foremost it still appears like he did it to protect his family from the scandal ("I did it for my daughter. I did it because I donā€™t want anyone to know that my daughter married a rapist and murderer!) Walter Barnesā€™ surprisingly adept acting performance - the best in the film after Van Cleef - certainly helps. But Luigi Pistilli was also a great actor, and yet Pollicut feels much flatter than Brockston (and even more flat in comparison to Morton, for that matter).

Anyway, you havenā€™t heard of people who crack down on the filmā€™s structure? Iā€™ve read numerous reviews both on IMDB and other sites which does. One commenter went as far as calling it ā€œworthless, except for the soundtrackā€ (he mightā€™ve seen the 90-minute cut, though) Even several reviews/comments which are overall favorable has complaints like ā€œPity the narrative is so sloppy at timesā€.

Donā€™t get me wrong on TGS, I think it has some great moments and the snow setting was a brilliant idea, but as much as Iā€™d like to be one in the big warm community of SW fans who adore it in general and the ending in particular, I canā€™t. But Iā€™m still a newcomer to the genre, so it might improve if I rewatch it. I donā€™t have any immediate desire to do so, though. Itā€™s one of those movies you should watch when youā€™re a little too happy and need to feel bad for some time (I didnā€™t find it as depressing as itā€™s hyped up to be, though. I guess I wasnā€™t drawn in enough).

(Iā€™ve been known to steer threads off-topic before, so if you want to reply on my thoughts on TGS, I think itā€™s best to switch to itā€™s own topic)

3 Likes
6 Likes

halleluja

ā€œLa resa dei conti (110 mins): the original Italian theatrical version, presented with both Italian and English soundtracksā€

Yippee! That in itself makes it worth the purchase.

3 Likes

I mean Iā€™ll almost certainly be making this purchase but I have to say itā€™ll have to be something very special to top the Grindhouse Releasing version.

This is indeed a good selling point.

2 Likes