The best of Lee Van Cleef

HE is one of the greats of the genre,what is your favorite sw in which he stars? gbu and ffdm excluded.

Death rides a horse is one of my favorites so I pick that.

Slightly offtopic, but what the hell. You guys will appreciate this:

Best commercial ever (pretty good beer too)

Although haven’t seen all of them I decided “The Big Gundown”. Best LvC ever.

You can always rely on Lee Van Cleef to give a great performance regardless of how dull a film might otherwise be.

“The Big Gundown” is probably my favorite so far, I’ve watched that film so many times. “Death Rides A Horse” is great too, the first ten minutes being shot like some incredible music video. But I’m reserving final judgment until I’ve seen “A Day Of Anger.”

This may not make sense, even though Big gundown is a much better film i tend to watch Sabata more

me I like The Big Gundown
followed by Death Rides a Horse,
then Day of Anger a distant third

“Sabata’s” full of strange ideas and contraptions the significance of which you miss the first time round, like a lot of other Spaghetti Westerns it gets better the more you watch it, it’s definitely up there with some of Cleef’s best work.

One of his best performances got to be in the Al di là della legge (Beyond the law) as Cudlip. Unfortunately the film itself isn’t that good. That commercial was amazing too. :wink:

Must say ‘The big gundown’ followed by ‘DRAH’, ‘DOA’ and Sabata !!!

I voted for Day of Anger because I think it’s most entertaining film LVC made. The Big Gundown is better film maybe but I just don’t watch it that often. Death rides a horse is great too but the other actors in it just aren’t on the same level as LVC.

Sabata
Death Rides A Horse

Death Rides a Horse I consider to be the archetypal spaghetti western. The issues of revenge and greed and an overt lawlessness in the film is what identifies the genre as an anarchic force that eventually influenced American film makers.

I also like pie

I hope you like cream aswell then!

OK I saw “Day Of Anger” a couple of days ago, I did like it but not as much as I thought I would, perhaps it would benefit from another viewing.
So IMO :-
No1. The Big Gundown
No2. JOINT PLACE Death Rides A Horse / Sabatta
No3. Day Of Anger
The other films I’ve seen (in order of appeal) :-
Return Of Sabata
Beyond the law
Captain Apache - not sure
Take A Hard Ride - terrible ending
Bad Man’s River - just terrible
Repeating myself here but Lee Van Cleef always gives a great performance IMO.

[quote=“The Halitosis Kid, post:16, topic:464”]OK I saw “Day Of Anger” a couple of days ago, I did like it but not as much as I thought I would, perhaps it would benefit from another viewing.
So IMO :-
No1. The Big Gundown
No2. JOINT PLACE Death Rides A Horse / Sabatta
No3. Day Of Anger[/quote]

You basically just said what I had to say, from just having watched Day of Anger a couple of days ago and not liking it quite as much as expected, to ranking Big Gundown as #1 and Death Rides a Horse as #2… I haven’t seen Sabata. After that, I would probably place Day of Anger as #3.

I definitely have to go with “Big Gundown”, and then “Day of Anger”.

Captain Apache all the way!!! :wink:

Seriously:
Day of Anger
Death Rides A Horse
Sabata

…are my top three.

La Resa Dei Conti (aka The Big Gundown)… No doubt… Death Rides A Horse after that… and then, I don’t know, as mentioned above Van Cleef isn’t really bad in any of the movies. The Grand Duel or Day Of Anger would probably make my #3.