The Belle Starr Story / Il mio corpo per un poker (Lina Wertmüller, 1968)

Hi, there came a new DVD release for this. Who to update the Database page, follows one online store to view:
http://www.extra.com.br/dvdsebluray/FilmeseSeriados/BluRaydeWestern/DVD-A-Historia-de-Belle-Starr-The-Belle-Star-Story-1719276.html

Greetings

The other night I finished a novel named Embers at Dawn (2013) written (in English) by the Norwegian author JC Loen. The novel is about a foulmouthed and heavily armed young American woman named Lee, leading a small gang of outlaws in the aftermath of the Civil War. The only information I have managed to find about the author is on the website of an Oslo rifle and pistol club, where it says that she has studied literature and feminism at the University of Oslo.

Last night another woman’s take on spaghetti western; The Bell Starr Story. I watched it for the first time in a very bad copy during Spagvemberfest, and last night for the first time in good picture quality. And, ahem…, what a film. Only the audio on the Wild East double feature was really bad, so I have to search out one with a better audio…

Eccezionalissimo! :grinning:

1 Like

And how do you translate that?

Eccezionale means exceptional, so if you say eccezionalissimo it’s like saying it’s ‘super duper exceptional’.

Absolutely exceptional.

I’ll drink to that. But I think it would have been even better with Robert Woods onboard all the way.

Lina Wertmüller has passed away

I’m quite disappointed with this one. It starts off so strong, with Martinelli looking cool as hell in her cowgirl getup and outwitting everyone at poker. But as this is an Italian movie, she naturally has to get slapped and hit by a hunky man which magically turns her into a submissive damsel. I was really hoping for a Kill-Bill-esque protagonist where she is just as ruthless as all the men, but no, the rest of the runtime is her getting constantly one-upped by Eastman and it really just makes her seem lame. Any chances of her being a badass are crushed by the overly-long flashback that could have easily been trimmed down (although I do enjoy any appearance from Robert Woods). I was hoping she would at least have a shootout to rescue Eastman in the end but instead she just bargains her way out and the Pinkertons decide to honor it for some reason? Thankfully, Martinelli, Eastman and Woods are all pretty solid but I really wish their characters were written differently.

2 Likes

There really is no good reason for the lack of a BluRay. I am watching this now on German Amazon Prime and while it’s not the best HD transfer in town, it surely is sourced in a way that a BluRay might be on the cards. Someone talk to Minverva and do this.
But oh boy that German dub, mostly improvised jokery

1 Like

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2022 thread:

Raro is bringing this to blu-ray in March and I am in. Always enjoyed this!!!

oh wow thanks for the tip. Will research and update the home video calendar

1 Like

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

1 Like

The Belle Starr Story now has a poll available on the original post at the top of the thread! :arrow_up: :+1:

1 Like

Just finished watching this. The beginning titles reminded me of James Bond films, even the song sounded like something out of a 007 movie.

I wanted to like the film but it progressed so slowly and felt boring at times. Also, I felt like there was something missing from Belle Starr as a character even though the characters were well written (everyone had their own personalities and all those small details). Belle could’ve been more badass but she seemed to soften towards the end of the film. But I have to say, Elsa Martinelli and Francesca Righini were absolutely gorgeous and George Eastman was amazing too.

An okay film but could’ve been so much better

3 Likes

Yeah, pretty much.

Don’t forget to put a rating on the poll… if you’re so inclined.

1 Like

This is just me, and I am probably reading too much into it, but I had a nagging feeling through the whole film that Elsa Martinelli didn’t really want to be there. It felt as if she were just going through the motions and trying to get it over with as soon as possible.

1 Like

Can anybody tell me if there is a uncut version ?
Amazon 1:35:28
German Blue-ray 1:39:45
English version on YouTube 1:39:56
German Leonine DVD 1:35:28
Onceuponatimeinawestern.com 1:43:00
Comingsoon.it 1:43:00

THX

who says it’s cut somewhere? just checking, but these discrepancies are rather minor and could be due to different opening/closing credits, pal/ntsc/hd differences etc…

1 Like