The Baseball Corner

Carlos said a few words about the '68 World Series earlier. Talk about a great Series!

Denny McLain had his 31 win season that year. I remember that Series well as do probably all of us Little Leaguers from that era. Man, there were some ballplayers back in the late 60s! Bob Gipson, Hank Aaron, Willie “say hey” Mays, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Ernie Banks, Roberto Clemente, Vada Pinson, Pete Rose, Willie McCovey, Mickey Mantle was still hanging on, and my favorite player from the Astros-Jimmy “The Toy Cannon” Wynn. Carlos, you probably remember my dad’s favorite player, Stan “the Man” Musial. He was a little before my time.

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:39, topic:1711”]I know Ace loved that. I don’t think the Cubs have ‘won’ any series since…uh 1908. :wink: The curse of the billy goat lives! Here in Boston, we know a lot about curses. Pujols will have to wait another day or two to turn the ‘machine’ on!

You boys up Boston way know all about the curse. But you have to admit I…I…, anyone that lets go of the Babe should be cursed for a few decades. That was a hangin’ offense!;D

Ace, just a few things. I agree, how can they not have a backup game although I can think of 100 things I’d like to do before listening to Joe ‘fucking’ Morgan ruin a game with his smug over analysis. Boston hit 4 consecutive home runs against the Yankees & the first thing he says & I quote ‘see, now that was a change up’…AAAAARGHH!!! >:( >:( >:(. Phew, sorry. Second. If you look at the Babe thing now, it’s easy to say that. But the Sox won 5 of the first 7 World Series & were on top of the world. They also had a ton of pitching & Babe, at the time, was a pitcher. Nobody could have guessed that he would go on to be the hitter that he became. Just look at what Rick Ankiel & Tim Wakefield have done (pitcher becoming hitter & vice versa). As amazing as those transformations are, they don’t even come close to paling in comparison to what Babe Ruth did, going from one of the most dominating pitchers of his era to becoming the best hitter of all time. Two recent world Series wins will definitely take the edge off a lot of things (except 86 :’( ). Believe it or not, Buckner was a borderline Hall Of Famer (who had a hitting school in my town) who will never be looked at for anything else except the poster boy for Boston’s bullpen failures (Stanton & Schiraldi to be exact). Double Phew!!

I…I…, AMEN on Morgan. I’ve got a book you’d like if you haven’t already read it. The name of it is The Babe in Red Stockings.

We hear them together almost synonymously. But luckily, the tide has turned & mark my words. It’s going to be a long time before the Yankees win a World Series. It was not the curse that made it hard to win, but the pressure & constant reminder of how long it’s been & every year the chorus grows louder. Yankees fans are their own worst enemies (among other things). BTW try warming up for a World Series game under these conditions:

When i played football yesterday there were a group of people playing softball (mixed crowd (male female)of maybe 8-10, probably students as it was on the university sport center). I would have liked to hit a few balls, but they were not enought for a proper game, so it didnt look to intriguing.
But this thread has sparked some interest into baseball. Now i only have to get the chance to watch a full game, mayber i´ll see if i find a stream. Please name some recommended games for this or next weekend, this is the best time due to the different time zones.

[quote=“valenciano, post:46, topic:1711”]When i played football yesterday there were a group of people playing softball (mixed crowd (male female)of maybe 8-10, probably students as it was on the university sport center). I would have liked to hit a few balls, but they were not enought for a proper game, so it didnt look to intriguing.
But this thread has sparked some interest into baseball. Now i only have to get the chance to watch a full game, mayber i´ll see if i find a stream. Please name some recommended games for this or next weekend, this is the best time due to the different time zones.[/quote]

Valenciano, I would suggest www.MLB.com, and since you’re a Yankees fan, check their upcoming schedule. By the way, for a fee you can watch any game on that website. Like my nephew says, “Baseball is life.”

Red Sox / Yankees play a 3 game series starting Friday 7:10 (NESN) Sat 4:10 (Fox) & Sun 8:05 (ESPN). Hope you can get it, it’s one of the most intense & heated rivalries in American Sports. BTW, you can say that you sparked this thread & therefore, your interest in Baseball. It might have been a cry for help. :wink:

since when i am a yankees fan? didnt know that. Miami is the only american city i have been in, so i guess the florida marlins are my team. I think montreal has no MLB team anymore otherwise i would root for them crazy wannabefrenchguys, where i liver half a year.
And i wouldn´t pay any money yet to see a baseball game. but i know a site where i can catch streams. If i had all night i could catch Florida marlins vs pirates (semi legal of course)

we will see how my baseball interest goes…

Yes it was a great series, but I surely enjoyed the outcome a bit more the previous year!

Carlos, you probably remember my dad's favorite player, Stan "the Man" Musial. He was a little before my time.
Stan was at the very end of his career and I didn't really learn the players until '64 so I can't claim to remember much about his actual playing. I do remember his retirement and he remains a large part of the Cardinal legacy to this day as Cards broadcaster Mike Shannon was a part of his career and has lots of Stan "the Man" stories.

[quote author=valenciano link=topic=1946.msg55902#msg55902 date=1240347665]
since when i am a yankees fan? didnt know that.

Sorry, my mistake.

I wonder where he got that idea.

I guess for us it was the ‘near’ possible dream. Bob ‘expletive deleted’ Gibson going against Jim Lonborg & having to hear Tim McCarver talk about it every time the Sox are on Fox is punishing. First ‘Slaughter’s Mad Dash/Peski Holds The Ball’ & the 67. At least we had 04’.

Wow this is worse than politics and newpaper quotes. I feel like a celebritiy who is interviewed and they take half a sentence, turn it around and say something totally contrary about them.
So here is the original quote, not that i am too serious about this discussion.

[quote=“valenciano, post:19, topic:1711”]I am a yankees fan by the way 8) ;D :wink:

just kidding, i am for the underdog[/quote]
i would say it is pretty clear that I dont root for the yanks, i just wanted to anger you guys a bit, as i am well aware that the yankees are probably the most liked and as well most hated team ever…

I knew you were kidding. I was just getting you back. :wink: There must be a football (soccer) team that you loathe. I’m sure you can imagine the emotions that are dug up when people mention them. All in good fun.

I hope someone caught the Sox/Yanks highlights. What a game!

Yep…typical of that series. Youkilis and Bay all day.

The Cub/Cards series got off to a great start Friday night with a ‘little bit of everything’ type of intense contest. Today’s game is going even better :). Hopefully I didn’t just jinx them!
Yankees/Red Sox has turned into a back and forth Fenway slugfest even though both teams started their aces. 2 great tradition rich series! Hey and no problem filling the seats at Fenway unlike the new Yankee stadium from what I hear.

[quote=“Carlos, post:57, topic:1711”]The Cub/Cards series got off to a great start Friday night with a ‘little bit of everything’ type of intense contest. Today’s game is going even better :). Hopefully I didn’t just jinx them!
Yankees/Red Sox has turned into a back and forth Fenway slugfest even though both teams started their aces. 2 great tradition rich series! Hey and no problem filling the seats at Fenway unlike the new Yankee stadium from what I hear.[/quote]
Good observation Carlos. Pujols in Wrigley is always a home run waiting to happen. The reason they keep restoring Fenway is because people love the history & atmosphere. New York got greedy & is charging way too much for those premium seating. If they go to the playoffs (& I don’t think they will), it will fill up. 12-11 Sox right now.

The MVP isn’t too bad at Busch either! A grand slam to break it open. The Sox added some insurance and go for the sweep.

What a finale to the Sox/Yanks series. Unless your a Yankee fan of course. Jacoby Ellsbury stealing home was one of the most exciting thing I can remember in a regular season game in recent memory.