The Baseball Corner

Let me help you out & anyone else out there, please correct me if I leave anything out.
First things first, baseball can be boring at times & that’s part of it’s charm. There is a deffinate flow to the game which makes it great to multi task while watching. Some times of the game are more important to watch closely. It is the olny game that is not governed by time so games technically are never over which makes for some exciting comebacks & some very tense moments. I agree that it is funny how it’s called the world series & only played in the US. Eddie Izzard has a funny bit on that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl9X5tNFSic (3:18). It is about the game within the game. It is a duel between pitcher & batter (aided by the catcher). Also between pitcher & base runner at times. You must also work as a team while playing defense but when at bat a man must perform alone (in-di-vidual achievment says Deniro in the Untouchables). The stats part is ridiculous but there is a reason. It is used mostly for managers to make decisions based on probabilities. If a batter is hitting .167 against a left handed pitcher in a critical situation, the manager should pinch (substitute) hit for him. If he doesn’t & he strikes out, then there are a lot of pissed off fans questioning his decision. I never question anybody who calls the game slow, because it is, but that is all part of the game. Base hit, grab a beer & back in time to see the next batter. Check back & see if this helps sway your opinion.

Tim Wakefield took a no hitter into the 8th. Almost.

How old is Wakefield? Reminds me of a pitcher the Rangers used to have; knuckleballer Charlie Hough. I remember he used to smoke a cigarette between innings. Knuckleball pitchers are like fine wine, they get better with age.

1. As Bob Uecker used to explain how to catch a knuckleballer, ‘just wait for it to stop rolling & pick it up’. :wink: He & the Red Sox have a mutal lifetime 1 year contract. He used to be an infielder with the Pirates. I’m hoping your Rangers can take care of the Orioles.

I remember watching Hough clip his fingernails in the dugout. Knuckleballers usually clip their nails into a square shape don’t they?

They maintain their fingers so they can flick the ball causing an opposing rotation. I love the clips of the Neikros pitching while looking like 60 years old.

The Rangers pulled out their whoopin’ sticks tonight and put up 19 on the Orioles. Kinsler had 6 hits and hit for the cycle. - Speaking of knuckleballers and Niekros, remember when Phil Niekro got caught with a fingernail file out on the mound? He’s like "who me?’ and flung the file across the infield. - By the way, did you guys hear “The Bird” died? One of the best rookie years ever.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Love that.
I remember the first knuckle baller I saw pitch on TV was Phil Niekro and they showed a couple of his pitches in slow mo to illustrate the problems for the catcher. Bizarre stuff. But smart to learn if you want to pitch for a hundred years or so in the big leagues like the Niekros did.

Yeah I think its common for knucklballers to be older than the rest because they learn how to do it late in their careers. Plus, its not very taxing on the body like fastballs so its a good way to preserve longevity of their careers. Anybody here remember Tom Candiotti?

I remember Candiotti when he was pitching for the Indians and giving the Rangers fits. After he pitched against us, the team went into a prolonged slump.

you see that represents my problems with bball again, couldnt understand one word in the beginning of your post.
But i appreciate that you try to get me interested in the game. And it worked i checked on wiki what the hell a knuckleball is and checked a youtube video. Lets see if iam hooked.
But it is true that part of the game is drinking beer and eating hotdogs, not that that is a bad thing, its the same in football.

a) saw that I love games like that where you can sit back & enjoy, stress free
b) love that clip, but it’s not as good as using vagasil like in Major League
c) sad! I love the clips of him talking to the baseball. A true original…well, maybe not. Bill Lee anyone (go spaceman). Used to make marijuana pancakes.
Also sad was Harry Calas dying, not only was he the longtime voice of the Phillies, but he was also the voice on NFL films. (the frozen tundra of Lambeau field)
Ace, I believe the Sox & your Rangers had a similar game last year. Like 40 runs scored.

[quote=“Phil H, post:28, topic:1711”]:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Love that.
I remember the first knuckle baller I saw pitch on TV was Phil Niekro and they showed a couple of his pitches in slow mo to illustrate the problems for the catcher. Bizarre stuff. But smart to learn if you want to pitch for a hundred years or so in the big leagues like the Niekros did.[/quote]
It is a real treat/annoyance watching a knuckleballer. Could be unhitable for 3 innings & then get rocked & then settle down just as fast. Hard to manage your pitching staff on a night when Wakefield’s pitching.

[quote=“valenciano, post:31, topic:1711”]you see that represents my problems with bball again, couldnt understand one word in the beginning of your post.
But i appreciate that you try to get me interested in the game. And it worked i checked on wiki what the hell a knuckleball is and checked a youtube video. Lets see if iam hooked.
But it is true that part of the game is drinking beer and eating hotdogs, not that that is a bad thing, its the same in football.[/quote]
Valenciano, just keep paying attention & we’ll guide you through. The Rangers scored 19 runs. Hitting for the cycle meant one player hit a home run, a triple, a double & a single. Very rare. A true ass whippin’!

[glow=red,2,300]Marlins[/glow] are 10-1 for their best start in franchise history !!!

Yankees are getting pounded by the Indians right now 21-4 ! Holy cow !!!

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:33, topic:1711”][glow=red,2,300]Marlins[/glow] are 10-1 for their best start in franchise history !!!

Yankees are getting pounded by the Indians right now 21-4 ! Holy cow !!![/quote]
Talk is around Boston that the Sox are going to make a push to get Hanley Ramirez (get him back I should say). Any day when the Yankees get embarressed is a good day form me. Sox & Rangers have the same record Ace, how long do you think that’s going to last?

I love this :slight_smile:

The Rangers went down hard against the Royals tonight. Millwood pitched a complete game 5-hitter to no avail. Royals 2-Strangers 0. I…I…, your Sox just one-upped us, you now have the better record. Bummer…

Yeah, but I now pull for your Rangers (except when they play us of course). One of the theories is that it is hard to maintain great play for a whole season playing half their games in your Texas heat.

A nice win today for the Rangers with Michael Young’s walk-off dinger. Looks like the Cubs called on the rain gods tonight so they could ‘win’ the series. Oh well, with Carpenter back on the DL and the Cards bullpen giving up runs by the bushel… :’(

I know Ace loved that. I don’t think the Cubs have ‘won’ any series since…uh 1908. :wink: The curse of the billy goat lives! Here in Boston, we know a lot about curses. Pujols will have to wait another day or two to turn the ‘machine’ on!

Yeah, great game today. We were down, came back to tie, and then Young bangs one. Now, if Hamilton will get things going. By the way, the Ranger’s Nelson Cruz may be this season’s Josh Hamilton, he’s got serious pop.

I was ready to kick back tonight and watch the Cubs and Cards, where’s the backup game?

I heard that Moneyball is being made into a movie and Brad Pitt is signed to play Billy Beane.