Texas, Adios / Texas, addio (Ferdinando Baldi, 1966)

Surreal in the sense that these characters seem to appear from nowhere (what the hell is this??), not in reference to surrealism (Dali, etc.)

It is a key scene as it establishes, once and for all, Neroā€™s character. He is as obsessed and determined as any other spaghetti western character, but heā€™s not determined to kill his fatherā€™s murderer, but to bring him to justice. Without this opening scene, in which he appears and disarms a bounty killer, his character would be puzzling. We would say: Hey, what is this, an avenger who want to bring his nemesis back to Texas? If it didnā€™t have this special function, it would be a rather ridiculous scene (it still feels a little ridiculous, but in a good sense, to me itā€™s one of those nice oddities the genre has to offer)

It is true that the rather unconvincing introductory sequence is almost surreal: from far away we see two men on horseback arrive in a completely deserted town, which once the shooting ends suddenly became repopulated, complete with the passage of a stagecoach!

Initially also the eternally laughing grotesque character played by Livio Lorenzon is rather perplexing, but fortunately there are also very positive elements to balance everything and there is no doubt that Franco Nero, even thanks to a more appropriate look, is much more incisive here than in the contemporary Le colt cantarono la morte e fuā€¦ tempo di massacro/Massacre Time.

Too right! I think the only time he was acceptable was in the sleazy Lee Van Cleef Eurocrime vehicle THE PERFECT KILLER. In fact, as the young upstart, he was really good in that.

I search quotes in italian from scene when Miguel gives gun to Burt.

At what point in the movie does this happen? Iā€™ve got the French disc, which has Italian audio (if Iā€™m not mistaken), so I could check it out tomorrow (Iā€™m not at home at the moment)

After Fernandez met Miguel when he moved Burt to Texas. Next Miguel refused chance to join lawyerā€™s force and leaved on foot. Then Burt come up to Miguel and demanded his gun. I need theirs conversation in text in italiano, because in internet(for example in http://www.mymovies.it) I not found it.

M: Cosa vuoi?
B: Quella.
M: A che ti serve?
B: Hai sentito lā€™Avvocato?
M: Io ho sentito che Cisco ha preso tuo fratello. Non ĆØ cosƬ?
Fai bene ad aiutare lā€™Avvocato. Eā€™ gente brava e onesta. A loro almeno ĆØ rimasto ancora il coraggio di morire e soprattutto un poā€™ di dignitĆ . Addio, straniero.

Grazie mille.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Texas, Adios / Texas, addio (Ferdinando Baldi, 1966)

I watched this version today (not in the database) - nice print, but burnt in Greek subs. Didnā€™t notice anything missing (but itā€™s a long time since I saw my other version - the extra disc that came with Keoma).
This time I wondered why they changed $200 in coin into 1000 Mexican peso notes (whilst a Mexican banker smiled wryly) and then still only paid for everything in dollars ??? :)ā€¦
No matter what version - Iā€™ve still got that fuckinā€™ song wrapped around my brain :stuck_out_tongue:

Crazy poster with Terence Hill in place of Franco Nero! :o

Thought it real poor on first viewing, better on second. Good cast, good cinematography, some hardcore scenes, and a nice trumpet theme. Average, three stars.

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:58, topic:152ā€]

I watched this version today (not in the database) -[/quote]

ā€¦ and with John Wayne on the cover.

Donā€™t know if itā€™s John Wayne, but itā€™s certainly not a screenshot from the movie

Iā€™m sure it is inspired from Red River.

Could be, but in that case itā€™s rather Montgomery Clift

He wears similar buckskin in the movie:

No, Iā€™m sure itā€™s Wayne in the early scenes of the film. There he wears buckskin too, and there are also covered wagons.

Then Iā€™ll have to rewatch the movie, donā€™t remeber that (havenā€™t seen it in more than 20 years)

I wonder why they chose dellā€™Acqua for the role of the kid brother. It doesnā€™t look believable that a mexican would have a kid with blond hair. (text spoiler colored)