Tex and the Lord of the Deep / Tex e il signore degli abissi (Duccio Tessari, 1985)

Yes, in this case is highly probable that the theatrical ratio was 1,66:1.

Iā€™m not sure if in the 80s film still were shot for 1,66:1. This aspect ratio was used in the 60s in Europe, but later most films were shot for 1,85:1.

If this was basically made for TV a 4:3 aspect ratio is very likely. But maybe they still tried to make it in a way that a 1,85:1 masking was possible. Often the credits tell you how it was intended.

Certainly, in 1987 Stanley Kubrickā€™s Full Metal Jacket, for instance, had a 1,66:1 theatrical ratio in Europe and a 1,85:1 thatrical ratio in USA.

When the film was released or later out of curiosity?

How could that be? Kubrick was not the guy to allow different aspect ratios.

Funnily he decreed that some of his later films should only be released in full screen. But Warner doesnā€™t care any more and the newer releases are all in 1,85:1. (Probaly I better check this)

When the film was released :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:45, topic:1164ā€]How could that be? Kubrick was not the guy to allow different aspect ratios.

Funnily he decreed that some of his later films should only be released in full screen. But Warner doesnā€™t care any more and the newer releases are all in 1,85:1. (Probaly I better check this)[/quote]

This also happened for Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, while A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon were intended exclusively for a 1,66:1 ratio.

So in my opinion 1,78:1 is a good compromise, but only for the three titles with ā€œvariableā€ theatrical ratio.

fine stuff about TexĀ“s comicbook roots, scherp - actually, havenĀ“t read the comics (i was never really interested in Tex WillerĀ“s adventures)
well, finale with that alchemist in the cave was pretty poor - i was expecting mind-blowing duel revolver versus sorcerorĀ“s wand :smiley:

Has anyone ever come across a widescreen version?

Figures released by Mego in 1974

2 Likes

Cool :sunglasses:

I wonder if it was shot like that, or wasnā€™t it already meant mostly for television, which were 4:3 at the timeā€¦

Itā€™s possible but they did shoot some TV stuff in widescreen, as well.

Does anybody where I can get the Brazilian DVD with English audio? My tape is pretty poor quality but I like the movie.

Insane things found onlineā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

TS2

3 Likes

This filmā€™s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please contribute missing information, corrections and other useful material.