Tex and the Lord of the Deep / Tex e il signore degli abissi (Duccio Tessari, 1985)

[quote=“p.pereira, post:18, topic:1164”]Nice Tex’s commemorative TV report. Including interview with Giuliano Gemma:

60 anos de Tex com Sergio Bonelli, Claudio Villa e Giuliano Gemma - YouTube wonder if it will get an English printing?

Not likely.

I like this one!
It was back in the early 90’s when I sat down to watch this one, on VHS, for the very first time. I hadn’t expected much. In fact, I was convinced that it was going to be pretty bad. But, I was pleasantly surprised!
Not a bad movie at all! In fact, I found it very entertaining.
I picked up a DVD-R of this one from Luminous Film and Videowurks several years ago; but, have to confess that I haven’t watched it.
Maybe I need to revisit this one, soon.

I’ve got it in DVD through a Brazilian release (Classicline). It wasn’t cheap neither easy to find, but a must have to a Gemma fan.

Viewed this one again as got hold of the dvd above which has english audio. Thoughts are the same as last time. Missed something William Berger said last time round:

“Why don’t you fry cow dung in hell”

Well a little different I thought :smiley: .

I can’t think why that one hasn’t caught on…

[quote=“p.pereira, post:18, topic:1164”]Nice Tex’s commemorative TV report. Including interview with Giuliano Gemma:

And the Mercenario score in the back…

The French poster is really stupid, it gives a completely wrong idea of the movie direction. So I decided to change the profile page with this one:

And here is another, I guess it is less known:

I like the second one a whole lot better. The first looks way too polished.

Agree, but they seem to used the first widely.
My Brazilian DVD use it and the posters in Portugal too.

This movie is not ugly as many say. IMO this is a good spaghetti also if was filmed already at the end of the genre. The character (which I have a large collection) is well done by Giuliano Gemma and William Berger as Kit Carson is identic to that one of the comic. Just the plot is very shaky because the comic story whence come the plot is not really western but more fantasy than other, only the setting is western.
This was a difficult production also for the little enthusiasm on filming and for the few money production. For example, the rocks at the end of the movie are polystyrene!
Today, in Italy this movie is generally repudiated by the comic fans and also by the spaghetti fans, but I’m not among them.

PS. I hope I have done the right thing posting here also if after much time by the last post, but I think this is the “official” thread of the movie.

Yes this the right place to post your comments on the film.

[quote=“p.pereira, post:30, topic:1164”]Agree, but they seem to used the first widely.
My Brazilian DVD use it and the posters in Portugal too.

[/quote]

Eden

Fonte Nova em Benfica do outro lado do Califa

Que Saudades

The greater part of SWs present a cynical hero but in 1948 Tex was born directly as an outlaw, so much so that his name, immediately censored, originally was Tex Killer.

Long live the comic book series! :slight_smile:

my rating 0 out of 5 sorry :-\

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:34, topic:1164”]The greater part of SWs present a cynical hero but in 1948 Tex was born directly as an outlaw, so much so that his name, immediately censored, originally was Tex Killer.[/quote]Haha, I didn’t know that. Few years ago I drew a parody comic of Tex called Tex Killer. :smiley:

I enjoyed this one a lot. Didn’t really feel like a SW except in the shootouts and fights, but since I grew up reading adventure comics and books like Sandokan and watching the Indiana Jones movies I enjoyed this one quite a bit. ç
In my opinion, it’s more of a regular adventure movie than a western, it just happens to be set in the west. You can even hear that in the music, so I can understand those who want to watch a SW being disappointed with it, but I don’t think it’s a bad movie at all. Never read the comics so I can’t comment on how faithful it is though.
I think it’s a great movie to watch with a son/brother/nephew/whatever around 8-11 years old. I just wish there would’ve been more mummifications.

it’s a hyperlink, so it should work, otherwise I call [size=36pt]TEX [/size]

(or Stanton)

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Tex_and_the_Lord_of_the_Deep_Review_(Scherpschutter)[/url]

Good review, scherp!

I saw this one at the cinema, but obviously don’t remember the intended ratio (not 4:3, of course).

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:39, topic:1164”]Good review, scherp!

I saw this one at the cinema, but obviously don’t remember the intended ratio (not 4:3, of course).[/quote]

Thanks

I didn’t have the idea that much info was missing left and right. Could it be it was shot in 1,66:1 ?