Tequila Joe / Time and Place for Killing / … e venne il tempo di uccidere (Enzo Dell’Aquila, 1968)

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS and OPINIONS ;)!

Basically another bleak and pissed-up slow moving slice of spaghetti-pie, pre-dating El Puro, but unfortunately without the latter’s charm.
I realised that I had started this one before, once it was rolling. But I had given up previously - either thru’ boredom or tiredness (or too many drugs SD :wink: ) - but this time … after being on a roll with Ghidra’s performance in Bullet in the Forehead, I intended to finish it.
After the first sleep-inducing 35 minutes it picked up somewhat and looked like it was gonna turn into a half-decent outing.
In this film (which again bares no resemblance to Weisser’s version - Ghidra’s murdered sister … ???) - two rival gangs are shootin up a town and innocents are getting hurt, but the sheriff is too pissed to care and too scared to get involved.
The film really is a vehicle for (handsome in a James Dean-y/PLL-y sort of way) Jean Sobieski (in his only sw outing?) to show his stuff and he steals the show as the unwanted Deputy-with-a-secret.
Anthony “I bit off more than I could chew … I drink now” Ghidra, as Tequila Joe, isn’t nearly as convincing as Robert Woods is - as a drunk, as El Puro - (for he is the benchmark now for this type of character).
I suppose the film is quite gritty (there is a kidnapped and raped daughter of one of the gang leaders - Cemetery without Crosses - stylee), and the story is quite good and it is quite well acted, … BUT - it is … well … “quite” - but unfortunately, it’s not … “really” or “fabulously” anything.
There’s a coupl’a great lines that gave me hope … the previosly mentioned one from Ghidra, and when he asks the bonkers grave-digger chap “How much time before a cadaver rots once it’s buried?” … gets the reply “Well, if a man ain’t too rotten before he gets here …”
But there’s dross as well … “A man never stops being a man - 'scept when he don’t wanna be.”
Ghidra takes an awful long time to become “a man”, too long in my book. Everything was a bit too obvious and a bit too moralist-y (dare I say it …?) American ???
Still, only an opinion - others may appreciate it more, and I would welcome hearing other views on this. I seem to remember Bro’ Bluntwolf recommended it on one of the other threads, and I value his opinion on these matters. It’s maybe that seeing the first half twice now, slowed me down too much to get any momentum to carry me thru’ the rest of it. What started out, to me, as slow and boring, showed some potential for ‘mean and moody’ for a while, but ultimately it disappointed.
It’s not as bleak, not as ‘funny’, and not anywhere near as stylish as El Puro. And any ‘grain-sodden’ SW that I watch after having seen that beauty has a lot to live up to I’m afraid.

For more info visit:
Database Page: E venne il tempo di uccidere - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give Tequila Joe your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

Ha ha That is a great line.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:1, topic:856”]I seem to remember Bro’ Bluntwolf recommended it on one of the other threads, and I value his opinion on these matters. It’s maybe that seeing the first half twice now, slowed me down too much to get any momentum to carry me thru’ the rest of it. What started out, to me, as slow and boring, showed some potential for ‘mean and moody’ for a while, but ultimately it disappointed.
It’s not as bleak, not as ‘funny’, and not anywhere near as stylish as El Puro. And any ‘grain-sodden’ SW that I watch after having seen that beauty has a lot to live up to I’m afraid.[/quote]

That’s right, I really like the movie ! Mainly 'cause of de Masi’s score and Anthony Ghidra though ! I agree with you on some points Rev., but the movie isn’t disappointing in my opinion ! Well, haven’t seen El Puro yet. I’m curious 'bout it even more now that I get the chance to watch it pretty soon :slight_smile: !!!

Damn you reverend. I was just planning to make a post of this but you beat me to it. Just joking. Anyway, I have really enjoyed the slow paced spaghettis so far. So much so that Icreated a post about them. I’ll keep my eye on this one.

Agree with lots of your post Rev but I did thoroughly enjoy this one. Bit moralist-y American in parts but I don’t mind that (I seem to remember I liked In A Colts Shadow but you found it a bit too American-y). Agree El puro I liked better. I obviously can take the cheese a bit more than you…you like em mean, dirty and moody. Each to his own…keeps life fun. Recommended by me.

I just watched this expecting to see another routine SW. What I saw was a brand new addition to my Top 20. All I gotta say is WOW!!! I didn’t expect this movie to be so good. The story and acting was fantastic. After the end of the movie I just sat there on the sofa bugged eyed and slack jawed because I just couldn’t believe just how good this movie was. Incredible. I was expecting just another average enjoyable western, I didn’t expect to see a classic. This is why I love SW’s so much. You never know when you might run into a humdinger.

I wasn’t a big fan of Anthony Ghidra before, but I am now. I didn’t like him that much in Django Last Killer but he was phenomenal as Tequila Joe. God dammit, I have to go catch my breath…

1 Like

I can relate to Anthony Ghidra in this one, as he likes a drink or two of course ;).

This one is pretty good, it sets itself up as a sort of Rio Bravo/El Dorado premise and then turns into something else. I like Anthony Gidra too, he’s got a different style thats sort of part Robert Mitchum with that “shit if I care” seen it all look on his face that some might mistake as a limited range. He also seriously knows how to handle a firearm just as a prop in a manner that is very comfortable, I wonder what his background was like and if he had maybe seen some combat like in WW2.

I really enjoyed this one. It does take a wee while to get going but Ghidra’s performance is first rate and although it does occasionally slip into Preachyville and the ‘surprise’ reveal at the end is made far too obvious early on it is overall a very solid little film with no great pretentions. Not a top 20 for me but I’d certainly recommend it.

I’ve seen this one a long time ago and longer
Remember nearly nothing of it,guess i’ve to rewatch

I noticed that Mimmo Palmera’s death scene, he was conspicously absent. You basically saw the white shirt but he wasn’t there. I think he was unavailable to shoot those scenes. Would’ve made the movie better if he was actually filmed to shoot his death since he was so important a character.

1 Like

It was about time for a pleasant surprise, seeing as how I’m into a different level of quality SW’s these days. Anthony Ghidra shines here as a drunk sheriff/award winning sharpshooter who only cares about, you guessed it, tequila (if you haven’t figured it out yet, his name is Joe). The opening scene where his new assistant walks into the broken down jail was great. I really like how the tension is built up well for the time when TJ inevitably picks up his gun again. I also enjoy hoy Ghidra’s Joe goes into detail of how his brother was killed, with great emotion. Usually, the emotion regarding a killed love one in SW’s is void.
6 out of 10 sheriff’s badges for me.

Viewed this one tonight. Been saving it for a while, since I expected it to be a good one… To my surprise this is the second time I’ve watched it. I think I was confusing it with Tequila! because I was thinking it starred Anthony Steffen until Idiot mentioned to me Anthony Ghidra was Joe.

Still, I am glad to have forgotten about it and gave it a second viewing, because I definitely enjoyed it much more this time around. The film was much more brutal than I remember it being, particularly during the first half. I think that maybe this was one where I had to watch the first half and finish the second the next day, which always hampers my judgment of the film. Ghidra played a pretty good drunk! And how about that scene towards the end where he is slapped around repeatedly lolss!

I think Tequila Joe handles his tequila better than I do… my friends have some embarrassing stories about me and tequila… I’ve been affectionately dubbed “El Jimador” [url]http://www.eljimador.com/[/url] and tequila is now pronounced “To Kill Ya” among friends…

I watched this one this afternoon and I mostly agree with Rev, kinda slow and boring without much action. I thought that Ghidra’s character (endless tequila consumption, humiliations etc.) was almost pathetic - holding his gun again at the end seemed almost unrealistic. I prefered Sobieski’s and the two villains’ perfomance a bit more to be honest. In fact Sobieski’s action scenes were the most memorable ones. The score was rather forgettable.
A decent and serious SW, but not a must-to-see IMHO.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:6, topic:856”]I just watched this expecting to see another routine SW. What I saw was a brand new addition to my Top 20. All I gotta say is WOW!!! I didn’t expect this movie to be so good. The story and acting was fantastic. After the end of the movie I just sat there on the sofa bugged eyed and slack jawed because I just couldn’t believe just how good this movie was. Incredible. I was expecting just another average enjoyable western, I didn’t expect to see a classic. This is why I love SW’s so much. You never know when you might run into a humdinger.

I wasn’t a big fan of Anthony Ghidra before, but I am now. I didn’t like him that much in Django Last Killer but he was phenomenal as Tequila Joe. God dammit, I have to go catch my breath…[/quote]
I just saw this, and although it’s not in my top 20, I was really surprised how good Ghidra was in this… his acting was top notch, much more than the usual in terms of the genre. He didn’t lapse into “silly drunk” stuff, and for the most part, played a very believable character.

I recall being very pleasantly surprised and impressed with this film when I first saw it around 10 years ago.
Reckon I should watch it again and see if it holds up to my memory of it.

Is it true that wildeast might be releasing this along with Hole in the forehead?

That’s what has been said by folks that should know. :wink:
No idea when that release will be ready; but, it is definitely forthcoming (according to what I was told a couple of months ago).

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:2730, topic:141”]Tequila Joe has been viewed.
Viewed the film by DVD R, and the print was from a greek VHS which presented the film in 2.35.1.
The main character (a sheriff) is a drunk (hence the title of the film I guess) and is played by Anthony Ghidra, is always interesting to watch and perhaps gives the main character in El Puro a run for his money on the amount he can drink.
The score was not bad by Francesco De Masi, with a great title vocal by the ever so good Raoul.
A pleasant surprise for me, which is one of the many reasons which makes the genre so interesting for me.
[/quote]

Just re viewed this one and my opinion has not changed re this one, and probably better this time round as viewed the fan dub of the Italian dvd.

This is a good example of an average film.
There are some good scenes and good location.
But overall, he suffers from the lack of imagination.
I agree with Rev, alcoholics Ghidra plays a much less credible than Woods in El Puro.
Moreover, where is the nihilism. Burt (Jean Sobieski) is not an anti-hero. Rather, he tries to do sufficient justice. Too much morality for a SW.
That does not mean that the movie is bad. No, but is not a forgotten masterpiece.

I have an Italian version with very good picture quality.
Here are some screenshots: