Tequila Joe / Time and Place for Killing / … e venne il tempo di uccidere (Enzo Dell’Aquila, 1968)

Oooh - that does look like a better pic than my version - this could well be worth a revisit if I can get a trade for the fandub - if anybody’s up for one? :slight_smile:

Oh yes, that’s much better.

The Anthony Ghidra double Feature from Wild east dropped in today so I just watched ”Tequila Joe”.
And I must say that I agree with what The stranger wrote below, the film is average at best.
IMO it has a kind of Demofilo Fidani feel attached to it.

[quote=“Dorado, post:23, topic:856”]it has a kind of Demofilo Fidani feel attached to it.
[/quote]

Demofilo Fidani, really? I actually felt kind of surprise by it’s quality. Very enjoyable action flick. Despite a less focused role, Anthony Ghidra is excellent in this one.

I thought it was really well made except for the scene where they had stand in for Dick Palmer for his character’s death scene. I think he wasn’t available for shooting on that day or something.

Just rewatched this via Wild East’s double disc. It’s one of their best-looking transfers.

It’s a mixed bag, for sure. The plot is arcane, and could have furnished any contemporary US Western. Nor does director Dell’Aquila do much to liven it up; it’s left to Ghidra and, to a lesser extent, Sobieski to inject some momentum. I thought Ghidra did well - the role of drunkard has a lot of temptations for an actor, and for the most part Ghidra resists them. He runs through a range of emotions; so many, in fact, that he almost runs out of time before helping Sobieski in the final shootout.

Palmara and Meniconi were OK as the villains, though Palmara does most of his acting through his cigar.

The sets were good, the action adequate, but Dell’Aquila slips up with a number of nonsequiturs - the death of the Mexican girl is unexplained, and what happens to Meniconi’s daughter? Maybe my attention was drifting.

I have read this compared with Massacre Time - it shares the same writers, the same notion of a drunkard’s redemption. But there’s a vast gulf in class. This is an acceptable, moderately enjoyable film, but MT is far superior.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_-_Einladung_zum_Totentanz_DVD_Rezension

Late last night it was shown on TV. Very late last night, so my attention wasn’t at 100%, which is pity because from what I saw it gave me impression of a surprisingly solid b-class SW, with confident and dynamic directing, pleasant score and most notably, good acting. It’s only second SW I saw Anthony Ghidra in, and now I see why he’s so respected here. It’s very rare to see that kind of exceptional performance in SW.

Just watched the WE disc of this and I thought it was pretty disappointing. It suffered from poor writing and a dull leading man in Sobesiki. It also ended too soon, I felt like there should have been a bigger action scene after the small showdown at the end. Like Anthony Ghidra just got going and then suddenly its over, meh. I agree with the one who said it had a bit of Fidani feeling to it, paced like drying paint. Not terrible, but mediocre. The good parts are still pretty good. 5/10

Found it hard to sit through on the 2nd viewing… its pretty ridiculous that gang shooting all those innocent people including a baby, and all they get is a warning… takes forever for them to do anything about it… the complete opposite of all other Ghidra roles, he usually really convinces me in fistfights and as a gunfighter, but don’t want to see him like this.

The venerable @scherpschutter has a new review up

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Time_and_Place_for_Killing_Review

The just as venerable @davidgregorybell has wrote up a tremendous piece on the movie, for your reading enjoyment

2 Likes

Tequila Joe/Time And Place For Killing came along with A Hole In The Forehead/A Hole Between The Eyes (solid 6/10) on the Wild East DVD and I found it pretty OK (weaker of my 6/10 rated) after the first view. I liked the style, mood but especially the varied music by Francesco De Masi except for some non-SW incidental suspense music.
Dragomir Bojanic-Gidra played his alcoholic character very well but that theme maybe was to emphasized. I just waited for a scene when he cracked the bottle which came rather late and he was fit for fight…

Hi there Gringos… Normally i am fairly good at spotting the western town. But the mind has blocked again… Where was the village used in Tequila Joe… Looks a bit like Colmenar( normally the building where Django had his machine gun stands out) . I,m sure its not Mini Hollywood Almeria. Guess its back to Italy. Any ideas westerners. Thank you

It’s the De Paolis Studios western town in Rome.

The ultra-famous machine gun scene in Django took place at Elios, just like the great majority of the very different looking Johnny Oro.

My opinion now is the opposite, at least after having watched Tequila Joe another time, totally the 5th or so in 2 years. I upgrade it to a 7/10 due to for example the very versatile nice music by De Masi, probably his best of the SWs with his score that I have watched.
The melancholic sheriff’s theme, as I interpret it, fits the slightly dark mood. The title vocal theme reminds of his music in Any Gun Can Play (6/10).

Although I don’t really like the longlasting drunkenness of Ghidra´s character he is rather convincing. Since I nowadays rate El Puro 8/10 in spite of drunken theme I should accept it in Tequila Joe for a 7/10 rating ! Otherwise the story is very good. The acting is overall very good with Palmara and Meniconi as typical rival enemies and upper class gang leaders.
OK the deputy maybe is a too boring character and good guy to be an interesting antihero but it doesn’t matter to me that much in this case.
No barroom brawls and silly comedy are pluses in my protocol.

44 Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi) 1968
x45 Django The Last Killer (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1967
46 Tequila Joe/Time And Place For Killing (Enzo Dell’Aquila) music Francesco De Masi 1968
47 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone 1967
x48 Two Faces Of The Dollar (Roberto Bianchi Montero) music Giosy Capuano, Mario Capuano 1967

1 Like

Tequila Joe has a new poll at the top of the thread under the original post! :arrow_up: :+1:

1 Like

I thought Tequila Joe had some potential with having the great Anthony Ghidra in one of the main roles. However, I quickly became annoyed with Joe the longer the movie continued. Long after Sobieski had proved his mettle as a man who could single-handedly clean up the town, Joe would try to dissuade him from continuing his mission and tell him to leave town. I had a good laugh after Sobieski literally took on and rounded up the entire Mexican gang single-handedly, and afterwards Ghidra pleads for him to get out of town before it’s too late. I also noticed a wall clock in the jail that anachronistically stuck out as a 20th-Century timepiece.

1 Like

Credits page has been created for E venne il tempo di uccidere (Tequila Joe / Time and Place for Killing)

1 Like