Talk Whatever

No worries…I’m playing pool but I’m not currently on the table :rofl::rofl:

That’s an image I took of the “Five for you…” rock back in 2017.

3 Likes

Number 1 … Leone Hill, or the triangle as you’re calling it, is an easy one - Sierra Alhamilla, … don’t worry about all the place names.

The Oasys western town (El Paso) maybe closed on weekdays at this time of year … but though it is a must see, I found it a little disappointing, depressing even that it’s been ‘renovated’ without any sense of what it was in it’s 1960s heyday. Anyway … you know how to find that? … there’s a road that runs past the film sets and up into the hills, for maybe half a mile … it’s lovely walk, might take an hour at a leisurely pace … you can drive part of the way if you don’t feel up to it … but you can’t miss ‘The Triangle’ once you’re out of sight from the theme park. You’ll be passing the remains of the exploded bridge from ‘Fistful of Dynamite’ … and you just keep going until you hit that iconic view.

Number 2 on your list is a little trickier - I was taken by a friend and I know it’s on the coast road going out of Almeria city towards Cabo de Gata … it’s on a private farm, but the guys working there didn’t seem to mind at all that we were visiting. Don’t expect it to look too spectacular - most of the building has collapsed … the doorway where LVC stands is gone, but when I was there the interior where ‘Angels Eyes’ and Stevens’ have their stew is still standing, and there were even nails on the wall where some of the set dressing had been set up … BTW, I think it’s used for goats and is pretty smelly! :wink:

Perhaps the Western Locations Spain site has some info, or the other fellows here maybe able to help,

Your ‘Beyond the Law’ scenes are also fairly easy … where Lee hides the loot is in the Las Salinillas area … I need to dig out photos from an external HD to help illustrate.

His view from horseback is on the path beside the motorway near the petrol station … you will have to walk or drive past this to get to the Tuco / Blondie overhang, mentioned earlier.

The picture you have of Clint on horseback is on a hill overlooking the western theme town … the view today is of a large car park for folks visiting the sets. Indio’s view is a place I never got to see, even after 7 trips … that gives you an idea how much there is to see. Can’t remember the name of that rambla off hand, but it’s accessible from the motorway, about a quarter mile before you see the petrol station.

Can’t remember how to get to the shark fin area … but it’s not far from the petrol station either, which is called Alfaro, named after the huge dominating mountain which you can’t miss :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I thought that’s where it was but I wasn’t sure because I couldn’t make it to end of Beyond the Law. Never got to that scene I don’t think.

1 Like

Shocking revelation! LOL :wink:

1 Like

I found some of the locations from above! :pray: Thanks for the help everyone!

The “Triangle Hill/Leone Hill” is literally called “Hill of Lee Van Cleef” on google maps…
~ don’t mind climbing that one :smirk:
(I’m sorry that’s so inappropriate xD but it was right there for the taking, I just had to~)
HillLVC

Any locations in Las Salinas and La Sartenilla are impossible to find exact locations of, especially since the areas are so large.

But this is what the Itinerary looks like so far! But it might change during the trip :sunflower:

Day 1:

• FAFDM Opening scene
  • Mini Hollywood
  • LVC Hill

Day 2:

• Las Salinas (If we don’t get stopped)
  • Town of Tabernas
  • Tabernas Guided Tour
    (Unsure what locations this will take us too, It might cover some of them :+1:)
  • Fort of El Condor (If we don’t get stopped)

Day 3:

• Horse Riding in Tabernas
    (This might take me to some of the locations ^^ But I doubt you’re allowed to fiddle with a phone while riding, neither do I want to, one of those moments where you just want to enjoy the scenery)
  • Other than that quite open the rest of the day to go where we want to.

Day 4:

• Los Albaricoques
  • Cortijo El Campillo
  • Cortijo del Fraile
  • Gold mine tunnels
    (These locations are in a quite neat row, so makes sense to take a day trip here and hit them all )

Day 5:

• Boca De Los Frailes
  • Cortijo El Sotillo
  • Castillo de San Felipe
  • Duna Amoladeras
    (These are kind of close-ish to each other, might make sense to go to them the same day)

Day 6:

• La Calahorra
    (maybe, depending on how my dad feels about driving that far. This day we are also returning the car in the afternoon so we can’t be out and abut too late.)

2 Likes

Sounds like great fun - I’d say you have plenty on your plate right there … and as suggested, you can’t possibly see it all in one visit.
Also, when you’re actually there, a lot of these directions will start to make more sense and you’ll see how things are connected and what’s what. It’s an ambitious 5 days, but do-able.

Expect to hear Ennio Morricone automatically playing in your head when you first see these places … it’s quite wonderful. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m sure you are right! Any knowledge I have atm is just theoretical, I need the experience.

Oh I have a Spotify playlist ready for the trip!! :cowboy_hat_face: :musical_note:

2 Likes

Back in the day, having somone like Tucotours was a real blessing

3 Likes

Sorry about the delay Jenny, I ended up staying at the pub longer than anticipated last night :rofl: See you’ve already got Cortijo de campillo…the first scene of GBU was filmed at La Sartenilla. There’s a video on YouTube called ‘Camino hacia la sartenilla’ which shows you the route to get there.

It’s well worth the hour drive to see Guadix. It’s beautiful.

Looks like you’ve got most of it sorted anyway…have a great trip. :smiley:

2 Likes

I can totally imagine…wish they were still around.

I’ve just come back home for the Xmas holidays from Uni today and in the car ride home my little sister (16) just randomly mentioned that she recently watched, and loved, The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Keep in mind that shes really not into film or anything like me so this was a massive surprise to me haha. I asked her why and she just said that some of her friends were talking about how much they liked it and she wanted to see what the fuss was about. So naturally, I excitedly told her how much I love spaghetti westerns and told her I’ve got loads of them on blu ray at home. So tomorrow we’re either gonna watch The Big Gundown or The Great Silence as shes currently off college sick.

I guess the power of Leone is still working on plenty of kids :+1:

8 Likes

That’s so cool about your sister amigo, glad she had a fun time first seeing GBU, an excellent way to start her SW journey. Let’s hope we have a future fan in the makings with her.

1 Like

Looks like a great trip - enjoy. I have made 3 short trips to Almeria/Calahorra and I have probably more SW locations now to visit than when I made my first trip.

2 Likes

Its so cool that many of you have been there multiple times, It’s gonna be interesting to see if I get hooked as well :'3

I have just had time to look at your photos etc and give any advise - to add to that from Aldo and Bill.
Your first 3 photos are covered in the book mentioned.

The photo below of Mini Hollywood carpark is the same as your shot of Clint on the horse.
Your photo below this is Indio, I think - this is Rambla Indalacio - which is covered in the book and involves a bit of walking.

Your large LVC photo looks like the large open rambla which is near the service station, parallel to the motorway.
As mentioned above, if you drive down the small service road just past the service station and stop before getting to the bridge of the motorway then you can explore the rambla de alfaro (up the rambla in the direction of the service station or straight ahead to the open rambla or go under the bridge a short distance along the rambla to the viciana oasis.

When the road forks on the way to LVC hill then you can drive/walk about 300m on the road that forks to the right to the ruins on the right which were the final scenes in California, plus other SW’s.

You may be able to cover Day 4 and 5 in 1 day by following the suggested route in the book - there is not a lot of walking here.
Watch out for the road from Rodalquilar to the mines and then Cortijo del fraile as it is not surfaced so drive very slow (20 mph).

The weather looks good in Tabernas at the moment but if there is rain when you are going then some of the rambla’s have a mini river flowing on them. I found this when driving out of the Texas Holywood area.

2 Likes

Only one day away now, I guess, but enjoy @NeedleFork !

1 Like

Yes! leaving in just a few hours, so excited!
Thx everyone for your advice :pray:
I most likely won’t be very active here for the next couple of days, cya on the other side! :cowboy_hat_face: :orange_heart:

4 Likes

Best to you, Jen.
You are in for one helluva good time…! :cowboy_hat_face: :cactus: :wine_glass:

1 Like

Just found this on ‘Youtube’.

I never cease to be amazed at how much a man in a poncho, almost 60 years ago, has made such an impact on our lives, and created an icon that continues to inspire and influence…

2 Likes

Just popping in to say Merry Christmas to you all! :sparkles:

I got back from Almería last night, and now I feel horribly blue over the fact that I’m not there anymore :broken_heart:
It was the most fantastic and amazing trip I’ve ever been on, I’m at loss for words, so maybe it’s ok to feel a little sad that it’s over :blush:
(I’m sure all of you who has been there know exactly what I’m feeling :heart:)

I want to properly thank all of you who helped me beforehand and were a part of my LVC journey :pray:.
So I’ll make a proper post thanking you all and sharing some highlights in a few days (when I’m done moping around over being back in Stockholm xD)

Merry Christmas! :sparkles:

10 Likes