Talk Whatever

So jealous. Please do share any pics. I’ve been twice so if you need help finding somewhere I should be able to help.

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That’s great! I’ll be spending the next couple of days putting together a map with all the locations I want to visit. If there’s a specific scene I can’t find the correct location for I might holler! :pray:

1 Like

If I don’t where it is (I should know most), I’m sure @aldo or @IllThinkAboutIt will :+1:

1 Like

After spending a sufficient amount of time in the “guess the movie” thread I’ve come to the conclusion that @aldo knows everything :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You’re probably right there :rofl:

1 Like

I’m very happy for you, Jenny … you and your Dad will love Almeria - I would guess that you’re doing some research before you go … but if I’d be pleased to offer any advice or suggestions.

1 Like

Glad to help if I can.
I highly recommend the book below. It shows 2 routes with GPS: locations along the Almeria coastline towards San Jose and locations around Tabernas.
You should be able to pick up a copy in Almeria city at the Bibabuk librería bookshop.

2 Likes

That’s perfect! I’ve added the bookstore to my google maps itinerary :+1: Will definately pick it up :heart:

(In general if anyone has more tips like this: stores, locations, things to buy, feel free to write me^^ any guidance is helpful so I don’t miss any hidden gems! :gem:)

2 Likes

There is one easy to access location, which I have always considered pure LVC country … Las Salinillas

Here’s a link for a fantastic location site: There are so many areas with their own nicknames, that it can be a little daunting … you won’t take everything in, especially before your first visit.

But if you want an instant LVC hit ? … this is where you’ll see unmistakable vistas from his top western movies … many at this precise location.

When you and Dad are on the motorway, heading from Almeria city towards the Tabernas desert area, about 16 miles inland … you will see a petrol station on your left … access that via a roundabout - when you get there, immediately behind you is ‘Van Cleef Country’ … :wink: there is a pathway which has a locked gate and a sign saying private property, ignore that, and climb over, or alternatively just walk along the open scrub desert to the right. This will take you to the area in question where ‘The Big Gundown’, ‘Death Rides a Horse’, ‘Beyond the Law’, Sabata’ were filmed. Technically it’s private property, but if you’re there just taking photos and not making a film, you should be fine … I never encountered anyone when I explored, but some people told me there’s a bloke on watch for trespassers, but that’s more about preventing film companies using the site illegally.

I will dig out some photos to give you an idea how easy to find this place is … and it’s a very good starting point. BTW … you probably won’t have time to see everything in just one visit, but with your enthusiasm for the films, you will almost certainly want to return.

2 Likes

Ha ha. Right? I forgot Ignazio was his birth name.

1 Like

Ahahahha! xD why are you getting me and my dad into trouble!
If we end up in Almería prison I’ll be calling you to bail us out :+1:
…but then again, ending up behind bars seems like the perfect way to spend a “Best of the Bad” inspired trip :thinking:

:'3 I found the petrol station on the map, I saved the location~ lets see how it goes lol
I’m facing a similar conundrum with the fort of El Condor…also private property.

1 Like

You can always plead ‘Hignorance, m’lud’ of the Spanish signs :wink:

It’s really not risky … no one there gives a hoot about a few wandering touristas.

El Condor fort, can be accessed either from the ‘Western Leone’ site. when no-one’s looking … or from the rambla that runs around the back of the ‘Once upon a time in the west’ location. Walking groups from Almeria are often at that site and posting pics on Facebook … you will also be passing through some terrain featured in 'The Stranger and the Gunfighter’

I’d love to hear about your itinerary for the trip … then perhaps you can fine tune it, depending on difficulty of access etc ??? :wink:

1 Like

Oh I can totally share the itinerary! I’ll post it here when its somewhat put together properly! So we can fine tune it :sparkles: :+1:

Its so hard to see on just google maps where its possible to walk and not.
I wish I could sit down with you guys and have you just draw out on a map like “park the car here and then walk through these mountains to get to this spot”
So I could just bring that with me on my phone^^

1 Like

I can second @IllThinkAboutIt on getting that book…I didn’t bother recommending it because I thought it was probably out of circulation by now. If you can get a copy though it’s very handy. If you do go to Las Salinillas please upload any photos from there…it’s one of the few places we didn’t go to.

I’m guessing you already have Los Albaricoques on your list?

1 Like

My favourite guitar pedal company Electro Harmonix recently brought this pedal out called ‘string 9’ that basically makes your guitar sound like an orchestra. I’m looking to get one when I get paid…should be awesome doing Jill’s Theme and The Man With the Harmonica with it :+1:

Just found these tributes to Sergio’s second classic on Youtube…I love how Clint’s iconic poncho pattern is used for the background of the first…

The second ‘re-imagining’ of the ‘FAFDM’ titles is no less pleasing to the eye. A different interpretation, but just as riveting.

Congrats to the folk/folks concerned…excellent stuff!

I never fail to get bowled over by how much love there is out there for Leone… :cowboy_hat_face: :cactus: :wine_glass:

3 Likes

@NeedleFork Forgot to say I’d imagine you’d like to see the location of the horseback duel from Day of Anger? If so it’s next to a small side-road in Cabo de Gata called Calle Kiwi…next to Boca de lid Frailles. If you face the main road southwards you’ll also see a location used in the final scene of Big Gundown. Just up the road is the windmill from Run Man Run as well.

3 Likes

Definately! :sparkles: If I was limited to only 2 spots to visit this would be one of them.

I added it to my google maps! Thank you! :kiwi_fruit:

Ok! Before I share my itinerary there are a few spots that I haven’t figured out where they are on the map yet.
So now I’m summoning you guys @aldo @Bill_Willer @IllThinkAboutIt (and anyone else who has been there) in hopes that you might be able to point some of them out for me :pray:

• The famous triangle hill
  • Stevens house interior
  • The curved mountainside where Blondie and Tuco splits the cash
  • GBU opening shot (I think the final scenes from Sabata is here as well)
  • This cool looking mountain side that’s seen in El Condor several times
  • El Condor water break scene
  • FAFDM Manco overlook
  • FAFDM Indio overlook
  • Day of anger shark fin
  • Beyond the Law canyon
  • Beyond the Law Hiding spot

A lot of places I know! But even if we can figure out where 1 is that would help me a ton :heart:
(and more importantly my dad, even though I would gladly walk straight out into the desert and just see where I end up :cowboy_hat_face:dad has a bad knee, so I want the hiking we do to have a clear goal)

1 Like

If you go past the petrol station forecourt you’ll see a road that takes you down into the ramblas…drive into it and walk up the rambla in the same direction you came in and the rock where Tuco and Blondie split cash is about a five minute walk up. It looks a bit different now though; the bit of rock hanging down has gone.

I never went to where the GBU opening scene was filmed because we were scared the car we hired would get stuck driving through the ravine because it looked wet in places for some reason. If you go past a sign for Fort Bravo and drive into the ravine from the main road, you can go left for Fort Bravo or right for that location. I’ll be able to tell you more when I get home and get my book. I’m at the pub at the moment…I’ll be able to tell you exactly where Stevens’ house is as well.

1 Like

Oh! pls eat your dinner in peace! :pray: