Talk Whatever

Spag-style trailer for The Mandalorian:

3 Likes

I just did a bunch of research on the best vinyl releases / labels for classical music… and these records are mostly ignored in thrift stores around here… so somebody’s classical record collection is about to get stupid

1 Like

I have Switched-On Bach on original vinyl too and the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange.

1 Like

1 Like

I have an online friend in Milan and he told me there was a 3km queue to get out of the city and into the south of Italy because of Coronavirus. It’s unfortunate to see this happening to Italy (and the world). I think there’s far too much media hype causing people to panic. I probably won’t be affected in my little backwoods corner of Canada. Don’t let the media cause you unneeded anxiety. Just keep washing your hands.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Problem with the SWDb on the phone

the coronavirus hysteria is f’ning stupid. So many idiots out there. Even without washing your hands or being careful, there is absolutely nothing to worry about

1 Like

Amidst all the coronavirus madness, I stumbled across the following ranking on the Guardian website this morning:

Per un pugno di dollari ranked as the second-best English-language remake in the history of cinema. I find this especially astonishing, since Eastwood was the only native English-speaker of the whole production (apart from a few extras, I guess). Anyway, this shows once again how high Leone has risen in cinematic reputation and how, ironically, the initially completely ridiculed Spaghetti Western has been in some way reappropriated into the canon of English-language (world) cinema.

5 Likes

On that note, stay healthy everyone… stay in, watch some movies…

5 Likes

Not much choice here… work hours in my household have been cut so far by about 90% with no pay due to corona fear. Already dead broke so maybe I’ll get some fresh air when the bank evicts us…

3 Likes

My heart goes out to you buddy, it’s a shitty situation but we’ll all get through it, stay strong.

2 Likes

Too bad that it is an Italian language film.

1 Like

Well now I do have the time to watch some films.

I hope everyone it’s allright, specially our friend Corbett, please tell us you’re OK

but is it? since most spaghetti westerns have no real original language track, it can go either way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How are things in Portugal Topo?
I just got back from a week in Madeira and they seemed to be completely cut off from the virus. No infections that i heard of and everything running as normal.

Back in London and everything is very different. Looks like I’ll be working from home soon as the university is switching all teaching online and all events cancelled. What’s more…no football!

Most things are cancelled here in the US. Events, school, work for a lot of people… large numbers of people out of work with no pay or savings bc we don’t get shit for paid leave here, and everyone’s broke. Not looking good if things continue this way

And to top it off, everyone here is reacting like total dickheads

Hope everthing it’s ok with you and your family Phill, along with all the other forum members.

In Madeira they’re ok it’s small island and Ronaldo is there, so.

In the continent things are getting more and more dangerous every day, I’m stuck at home with three kids, hoping things don’t get out of control like in Italy and now in Spain.

I’m a retired voluntary fireman, and this virus is a more serious situation that anyone could imagine, it’s a new bug so for now we don’t have any natural defences agaisnt it, and it seems very easy to spread.
In most cases things will be like a normal flu or cold, some people will not even notice they have the bug, but still they’re transmissors. So we are getting to the point where the main problem will be the ones that will need critical medical attention, even if few in % with a lot of infected people that need treament, anything like 10% of a million people will be a lot, that will collapse any national healh system, there’s no system that can handle so many people at the same time, like we can see in Italy.
And then we will have the economical consequences of this
Let’s see how hings will go, and hope for the better

1 Like

Yes, too many people still underestimate the consequences of such a pandemia, and indeed, it actually is shocking, that such a virus, which is itself not more dangerous than the usual influenza infect, may lead to a collapse of the health system and to a massive economic recession.

1 Like

For me without any doubt.
All Leone westerns were written by Italians in Italian, and the Italian version was the one which was assembled at first. In the case of GBU for example the base for the Italian dub was not what was spoken at the set, but the translation which was based on the Italian version.

The fact that the films were shot without any sound, and by that are completely dubbed, does not change the fact that everything (dialogues, score, sound) was at first created for this Italian version. And then later dubbed into all the other languages.
In the case of FoD it was not even sure that such an English version would ever have been made. If the film had been a total flop in Italy, an English version would probably never have been prepared.

Of course later the English version was very important for Leone, but still for me all his westerns are genuinely Italian.

But I think it is different for OuTA. On home video it is btw the only Leone film I watch in English.

1 Like

Okay: I’m scared.

I’m scared of the virus. I’m 47 and my wife’s 37 so that’s not too bad but that’s more-or-less where the plus points peter out. We’re both overweight for our ages/heights. I’ve got type 2 diabetes (although I’ve always had my numbers pretty well managed), my wife has a history of asthma (although she’s not suffered with it to any serious degree in several years now). I’ve a sixteen year-old boy about whom I’m not too worried yet given how mildly it appears to be hitting the teenagers so far, but I’ve also got a ten month-old daughter for whom I’m pretty terrified. My wife and I are both low-paid part-timers working gig economy schedules around our daughter’s needs. If either of us is made to leave work and self-isolate it’ll be f#cking difficult, financially. If we’re both made to stay at home it’ll be calamitous. Of course if either of us actually picks up the virus that’ll be both of us off work: one isolated, one looking after the baby. And if both of us get it… well, we simply can’t both isolate from the baby so that’ll pretty much rubber-stamp my baby having to tackle this thing with just her ten month old immune system. I can feel my stomach knotting up just writing that.

My mum’s 80. I mean she’s pretty strong for her age, she exercises regularly with walks and such, she’s still got all her marbles and she’s still very independent. But… well, she’s 80. If she gets this, that’s that. I’ve told her to stay indoors now for the time being, and I’ll take her any shopping or bits and pieces she’ll need over time (if I can f#cking find any shopping of course) given that there’s no way she has four months’ of supplies (our government are making noises about possibly wanting the over 70s to isolate themselves for up to four months). Should I just write her off as an acceptable loss? One of the “loved ones” to whom Boris Johnson says we’ll be saying goodbye? “Oh well, she was old. Good innings, et cetera.” I’d rather not if at all possible, tbh.

Still, as much as I’m worrying about the virus (and I acknowledge that, as an anxiety sufferer, I’m “catastrophising” at this stage, talking as though my family and I are already definitely doomed, although the general consensus that 80% of the population will contract the virus kind-of bears out that train of thought), I’m worrying quite a bit more in the here and now about the f#ckiing gormless panic-buying. We usually buy a tin of baby milk and a packet of nappies each week; it more-or-less pans out to us needing about that much. But that shit has all been panic-bought by selfish bastards. So now, we’re doing it. We’re now part of the problem. Not to any huge degree, I’d hasten to add; I mean, we’ve always got the pack and the tin we’re using in a given week plus a pack/tin in the cupboard. So, a couple of weeks’ worth. Right now, we’ve scrabbled together maybe a months’ worth of baby milk and maybe three weeks’ worth of nappies. So we’ve hardly cleared their shelves out at the supermarket but we’ve slightly more nappies and baby milk stored than we would normally. Our regular monthly shop was a complete mishmash of whatever was available but I’m not bothered about that (not this month, anyway. Next month, once the shelves are even emptier?), but I’m really concerned - not to mention disgusted - by the way people have stripped the shops of essentials for babies (plus of course we’re in the same boat as everyone else re. bog roll). The good old British Dunkirk spirit really came to the fore, didn’t it? First whiff of a national crisis and it was f#ck you, Jack, each man for himself. Shopkeepers are imploring people to be sensible and that supply chains are fine if people don’t act like c#nts but, well, people not acting like c#nts really seems to be the tricky part, doesn’t it? And that scares me.

Part of me wants to walk away from social media of all kinds for awhile just so’s I’m not panicking myself further and further but at the same time I feel that I can’t stick my head in the sand and hope that it’ll blow over easier if I remain defiantly uninformed.

After this - assuming there is an “after this” - this country needs to take a long look at what it’s become. It won’t, though.

3 Likes