Take a Hard Ride (Antonio Margheriti, 1975)

The center of these arguments is always the same person.

Back to the topic at hand…

To anyone interested, this movie is certainly not a great SW, but it is quite entertaining. One of the things that lets it down, imo, is the awful Goldsmith score, but I suppose this was used to give the movie a more ‘American’ feel.

I think the Goldsmith score is one of his best ;D.

1 Like

Ennioo, what do you think about the Goldsmith score to Air Force One?

For me this bombastic music made a terrible film even more terrible.

I have not seen Air Force One, but will tune in when next on TV.

Don’t waste your time.

There are so many good films …

This was an entertaining little flick. I thought the two ex-football players Jim Brown and Fred “The Hammer” Williamson did pretty good together.

Strange film, but still good to see Fred “The Hammer” Williamson again. And Jim Brown, of course.
LVC looks like a crazed man with that out-of-control, greying, mullet hairdo. God, that was awful…definitely not one of his better roles.

2 stars

Yeah I only watched it for Lee. Sadly he was a minor character with his wig making a bigger statement.

Huge wig this one… :D.

Yeah it was… I never liked Lee adding a wig - it made him appear odd.

Wonder if the filmmakers told Lee to have a wig in alot of his 70’s films ?..to make him look younger perhaps?

Lee looked awful whenever he wore a wig. That thing on his head in magnificent seven ride was hideous, and return of sabata too. I kept on thinking that maybe return of sabata was a prequel to sabata since he didn’t wear a wig for the first movie. Oh and don’t get me started on gods gun lol.

The only time I would consider it necessary for him to wear a wig was in captain apache, since he was playing a younger guy and who ever heard of a “balding redskin in Calvary Bluuuuuuue!” haha.

Yes, good point re Captain Apache.

He also had quite the toupee in Stranger and the Gunfighter.

So…quite a hall of fame of Van Cleef wigs then… :D.

at least the wig in Captain Apache looked like it fit on his head.

I almost hesitated about reopening this thread after its flamable SD related past, but what the heck.

Watched this for the first time last night and found it a bit bemusing.

On the whole it was fine. It’s a Blaxploitation / western hybrid so I wasn’t expecting much quality. Consequently I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively good production values. Margheriti’s direction was also pretty good for the most part and, unlike some, I quite liked Goldsmith’s score. (Heavily american style but I don’t mind that in the slightest)

Where it fell down, and severely, was in random moments of inconsistency and laughable ‘special effects’. What the hell were they thinking with that wagon leap across the canyon?!? I had to rewind to figure out what on earth was supposed to be going on. Just awful. And then of course we get the priceless waterfall plunge of Fred Williamson. About as convincing as a George Bush foreign policy argument. These moments stretched my famously high suspension of disbelief to breaking point and took attention away from the elements of the film which were ok. A shame that such easily avoided flaws should undermine the whole picture. Without these, the film would have been fine. Not great but not terrible either. With them, it’s borderline crap for me.

Oh yes, I just remembered. Jim Kelly as an indian? With that afro? Did I miss something or is that the most ridiculous bit of casting since John Wayne played Genghis Khan?

Btw the manipulated poll above has still to be deleted

Enjoyable film with a nice cast, but It’s hard to belive it’s from the same director as And God Said to Cain and Vengeance! I gave it three stars.