Take a Hard Ride (Antonio Margheriti, 1975)

Just watched the new DVD from KochMedia and I enjoyed this entertaining flick. I agree with Seb’s and Bluntwolf’s Review about Take a Hard Ride that it hasn’t much SW Feeling in it. I liked the score of Goldsmith but it’s more a music for John Wayne as for Lee Van Cleef.

A Highlight of this movie are the beautiful landscapes of spanish Island Gran Canaria. IMO a good place for Westerns. :slight_smile:

Yesterday I watched the new Koch Media DVD, too.
And I agree, the film has nothing of a spaghetti Western.
I think he’s actually quite boring.
Everything is like in an American Western.
For me, the worst film so far by Margheriti.
And the music is cruel bad (for SW).
Sorry, but this film is not my style.
Maximum 4 / 10

[quote=“The Stranger, post:62, topic:347”]Yesterday I watched the new Koch Media DVD, too.
And I agree, the film has nothing of a spaghetti Western.
I think he’s actually quite boring.
Everything is like in an American Western.
For me, the worst film so far by Margheriti.
And the music is cruel bad (for SW).
Sorry, but this film is not my style.
Maximum 4 / 10[/quote]

Haven’t seen it in ages

I saw the film in cinema upon its original release, and never went back to it, although I saw a few minutes when it was shown on television a few years ago. I thought the film was awful when I first saw it, and those few minutes told me it hadn’t improved much over the years

Haven’t yet ordered the DVD, and don’t think I will until it costs 5 € or so

When I first saw it many years ago I also thought it was awful, but hardened by 300 spagies it was ok when I rewatched it last year. Entertaining enough action flic, but surely nothing special. 3/5

I’m afraid I only saw 200 spaghs, so a bit tricky …

the best thing of this release probably was that we got back to this thread and got the chance to read some old classic SD stuff

Catherine Spaak … hadn’t thought of her for a while …

You shouldn’t have mentioned that. Obviously the poll is manipulated by him.
IMO Take a Hard Ride isn’t a 5 stars movie. Something like 3,5 Stars for me (Maybe if I ever watch 300 SW’s I’ll give it a 3). :slight_smile:

Gave it a three, I thought it was enjoyable.

1 Like

Who can change/erase the poll (except Seb)?

I wasn’t talking about the poll, Paco, I was talking about his catch as catch can with Stanton and the rest
I see polemic texts every day (not here btw) and some of them are outrageous, but none of them is like SD’s texts

Yeah, this thread includes some classic SDing.

Maybe some of the posts in this thread are more entertaining as the movie itself. 8)

Nevertheless is it just me or is Lee Van Cleef looking thinner and older as usual in this one?

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:72, topic:347”]Maybe some of the posts in this thread are more entertaining as the movie itself. 8)

Nevertheless is it just me or is Lee Van Cleef looking thinner and older as usual in this one?[/quote]

He aged quickly

Compare the movies he made in the second half or the sixties with the ones he made in the early seventies, for instance the Big Gundown with The Grand Duel. They might give you the idea there are at least ten years between them.

Working in the scorching heat of the Almeria desert might have been very tiring, and he also was a heavy drinker

Yes, but acording to Sollima LVC drinking was nothing compared with Oliver Reed, with him they could only shot until 3:00 PM tops, because he would become a “little” dizzy and confused

[quote=“El Topo, post:74, topic:347”]Yes, but acording to Sollima LVC drinking was nothing compared with Oliver Reed[/quote]He even died in a pub I’ve heard.

As far as I know he died during the filming of Gladiator, Reed that is
The scenes he’s in were mainly shot in Morocco and on Malta, both very hot places

What might have influenced Lee’s quick aging process, is the fact that he had a bony face (and figure); well-rounded people with fleshy faces (like Reed) age better than slim ones with sunken cheeks (like Lee) etc. Just compare Brigitte Bardot to more fleshy types like Claudia Cardinale or Sophia Loren

He died of an heart attack in a pub in Malta during the shootimg of the Gladiator, his last scenes had to be made with CGI I think. When he died he was drinking a mix off scooth and beer, the pub of course as his name now.
I just hope i age like OIiver Reed :smiley: but I don’t drink that much, and you what they say alchool it’s good to preserve things. LVC also died of an Heart Attack :o

Remember in the last interview I saw Cleef in the late 80’s he seemed to be very much enjoying a fag.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:73, topic:347”]He aged quickly

Compare the movies he made in the second half or the sixties with the ones he made in the early seventies, for instance the Big Gundown with The Grand Duel. They might give you the idea there are at least ten years between them.

Working in the scorching heat of the Almeria desert might have been very tiring, and he also was a heavy drinker[/quote]
He looked more healthier in Escape from NY.

Free Studio: